• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Goggle fog

Breakout12

I’m wondering if anyone has any insight into a problem that I just encountered for the first time. I have used my goggles and face mask many times in the past and never had a problem with the goggles fogging up. However, this weekend I had a constant problem with my goggles forming condensation in the upper middle part, (think between the eyebrows) that would begin as a small spot of fog, but would quickly expand into a horizontal line of ice. It was difficult to completely remove it. Any ideas as to why this would happen, especially since it’s never happened before?

Thanks

dlague

I would like insight into this as well. Happened to my wife yesterday morning. Never happened to her before and we skied in much colder temps then the -2 at Sugarloaf in the morning. I think it is because she kept her goggles on in the lift line and moisture was getting in during that time and freezing up as we skied down. I always take goggles off in the line.

bdfreetuna

Do your goggles have vents that can be opened or closed? Maybe you triggered that by accident.

Goggle fog is a pretty common thing in my life. I tend to generate a lot of heat, and sweat like a pig unless it's brutally cold.

Smellytele

I am assuming you have a helmet and not just a hat correct? With hats if you do take your goggles off and place them on your head I have seen the fogging. My goggles never fog up and I am not sure why. The person I was skiing with yesterday had the face mask thingy and their goggles kept fogging. When they changed out of their face mask the goggles stopped fogging.

Brad J

I think it has more to do with moisture building up from breathing with face masks and jackets zipped up over mouth. I had a terrible time in Utah in a snow storm with temps around 28-30 degree range, used anti fog cloth, rearranged my jacket somewhat and dried goggles under hand dryer which pretty much solved the problem.

fbrissette

Fogging will occur when moisture comes in contact with a cold surface. You're more likely to have the problem with a combination of the following: very cold temperature, heavy sweating, bad goggles (poor ventilation/lens). If you have all three, I'm sure you have had problems in the past. The full mask is a good way to direct moisture straight to the inside of your goggles.

I am a fairly heavy sweater. I can use the full maks in the chairlift but never when skiing. When bushwacking in cold weather. I have to remove my googles otherwise they will definitely fog up.

jrmagic

I sweat like a pig and can't remember a fogging issue in quite a while. Perhaps those prone to fogging could try the goggles with the micro electric fans to eliminate the problem?

Last edited:

mriceyman

Keep mask below the nose and you no longer have a problem

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Edd

I had some fogging issues on some recent very cold days because I had the mask pulled up. If the wind is mellow, I won't wear a mask unless it's below 0. It seems impossible for me to avoid fogging problems with the mask up.

It baffles me when I see people with a mask on with temps in the 30s.

bvibert

Staff member
If I have anything anywhere near my face then my goggles get fogged. Normally I try to keep my face clear, but I had a lot of trouble over this past weekend because I was wearing a balaclava due to the cold. The best thing for me was to put the goggles up on my helmet when I was doing anything but skiing (riding the lift, traversing in the woods, hiking, etc..). Some lift rides I removed my helmet altogether to let my head cool down, which was contributing to the problem.

dlague

If I have anything anywhere near my face then my goggles get fogged. Normally I try to keep my face clear, but I had a lot of trouble over this past weekend because I was wearing a balaclava due to the cold. The best thing for me was to put the goggles up on my helmet when I was doing anything but skiing (riding the lift, traversing in the woods, hiking, etc..). Some lift rides I removed my helmet altogether to let my head cool down, which was contributing to the problem.

+1 - that's the way I roll! In fact when I am skiing, nothing on my face except goggles. When on the chair, cover face remove goggles.

ok hijack why is the word goggles plural and not just goggle as in the title?