• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Gon-DLl-uh or Gon-DOH-luh

How do you pronounce the word Gondola

• Gon-DL-uh

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • Gon-DOH-luh

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters

drjeff

"Let's ride the box" ;)

Or if I was really forced to give an answer, I say "Gon-di-la"

BenedictGomez

Honestly, in my entire life I've only heard a few people say, gon-dOH-la, so few that I assumed it was incorrect. Surprised to see that either way is acceptable. How is it said in Italian?

EDIT: Maybe we're all wrong. Sounds like in Italian it's pronounced gOwn-dah-luh.
So it's dal-luh, but apparently we're all saying the gon bit wrong. Though Gon-dah-luh is much closer to correct from the Italian derivation than Gon-DOH-lah.

Last edited:

C-Rex

My boss says gon-DOH-la. With emphesis on the DOH. It's become sort of a running joke with our work skier group. We openly mock him yet he refuses to change. Gotta give respect for sticking to one's guns, I guess...

gregnye

I really hate it when people call a tram a gondola (like Jay Peak Tram or Cannon Tramway) There is a difference!!!!!!!!!!!

Cannonball

I really hate it when people call a tram a gondola (like Jay Peak Tram or Cannon Tramway) There is a difference!!!!!!!!!!!

Word! Was riding the cannon tram the other day and had no option to avoid listening to the in-depth conversation next to me. One guy was holding court on the differences between the Killington trams and the Loon trams. Strangling strangers is still illegal in NH right?