• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Google Chrome

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Because we're entitled to get something for nothing, right? :roll:
Greg, we have explored our differences on this issue before. If users do not want to view ads, then the system is broken. If enough internet users vote their conscience, the system will be forced to change. Browsing the internet began as only needing to "pay" for access and indeed used to be "something for nothing" (paying for access aside). Problem is content providers and users can not agree on how users should "pay" for content access. See the newspaper meltdown as an example. No one wants to pay to read newspapers online but people have no problem paying for the print version which is slowly fading away. Marketplace economics will decide how this plays out as per usual. Until then, users continue to have the right to determine how content is served to them on their browsers. I think this is a good thing... though.... in the end, I think proprietary and pay for use systems will work out and mass consolidation will occur leading to less choice and freedom for the consumer, which is always a bad thing. Just my take on things and your summation that my use of ad blocking software is simply a belief that users are "entitled to get something for nothing" is kind of cheap, IMO. There is more to both sides of the argument, and I will grant you that you have some valid points. Though ultimately, I disagree.

Greg

Staff member
Greg, we have explored our differences on this issue before. If users do not want to view ads, then the system is broken. If enough internet users vote their conscience, the system will be forced to change. Browsing the internet began as only needing to "pay" for access and indeed used to be "something for nothing" (paying for access aside). Problem is content providers and users can not agree on how users should "pay" for content access. See the newspaper meltdown as an example. No one wants to pay to read newspapers online but people have no problem paying for the print version which is slowly fading away. Marketplace economics will decide how this plays out as per usual. Until then, users continue to have the right to determine how content is served to them on their browsers. I think this is a good thing... though.... in the end, I think proprietary and pay for use systems will work out and mass consolidation will occur leading to less choice and freedom for the consumer, which is always a bad thing. Just my take on things and your summation that my use of ad blocking software is simply a belief that users are "entitled to get something for nothing" is kind of cheap, IMO. There is more to both sides of the argument, and I will grant you that you have some valid points. Though ultimately, I disagree.

I don't feel like rehashing this conversation again. I haven't altered my feelings on it and apparently neither have you. Blocking ads is what's kind of cheap, IMO.

dmc

I don't feel like rehashing this conversation again. I haven't altered my feelings on it and apparently neither have you. Blocking ads is what's kind of cheap, IMO.

Wow... Why would looking at an ad make someone puke...

Personally if Ads bugged me.. I'd go somewhere else..

Still using Chrome.... Love the speed (still)

Greg

Staff member
Wow... Why would looking at an ad make someone puke...

Personally if Ads bugged me.. I'd go somewhere else..

Thanks D. And as you know I try to strike a reasonable balance between advertising and content. I've never done pop-ups or interstitials, etc. In fact, registered and logged in forum users are shown less advertising than guests. I like to think that the advertising during the ski season is on topic and not that nausea-inducing... :lol:

Thanks D. And as you know I try to strike a reasonable balance between advertising and content. I've never done pop-ups or interstitials, etc. In fact, registered and logged in forum users are shown less advertising than guests. I like to think that the advertising during the ski season is on topic and not that nausea-inducing... :lol:

Greg I don't think AZ has enough ads.....we need more ads..:idea: oh yeah..Can I be a moderator????

SkiDork

I'm still using it too - It does use a lot of RAM though. Each tab is a new process, whereas with Crazybrowser I only had 1 process. That 1 process, however used a ton of RAM. I think Crazybrowser had a memory leak.

Still wish I could do Groups like Crazybrowser. Plus customize keyboard shortcuts

wa-loaf

After a couple of days using it I've dumped chrome. It seemed to use up too many resources and caused the computer to hang often for a few seconds. Back to FireFox and everything is working smoothly again.

bvibert

Staff member
I've never tried Firefox. In all your opinions, is it worth trying?

I love it. It's not perfect, but there's tons of customizations and add-ons that you can do to make it pretty damn close to perfect. My only issue is that it seems to be a memory hog, but then I typically have over 16 tabs open at any given time.

SkiDork

I love it. It's not perfect, but there's tons of customizations and add-ons that you can do to make it pretty damn close to perfect. My only issue is that it seems to be a memory hog, but then I typically have over 16 tabs open at any given time.

Thats pretty much the same problem I have with Crazybrowser. I also love it but it sux RAM bigtime.

Maybe I'll give Firefox a try

bvibert

Staff member
Thats pretty much the same problem I have with Crazybrowser. I also love it but it sux RAM bigtime.

Maybe I'll give Firefox a try

I should note that I'm pretty sure one of my extensions is causing most of the memory issues, but I like the features so I live with it.

SkiDork

So I installed Firefox last night. The Groups thing I've been mentioning is the "save pages on exit" which is nice, I'd like to be able to save different groups of pages though - i.e. each day have a set of pages saved so I can go back to that particular day. Might be possible if I poke around.

Haven't seen anything about customizing keyboard shortcuts but I prolly haven't looked hard enough.

I do like it so far though.

bvibert

Staff member
So I installed Firefox last night. The Groups thing I've been mentioning is the "save pages on exit" which is nice, I'd like to be able to save different groups of pages though - i.e. each day have a set of pages saved so I can go back to that particular day. Might be possible if I poke around.

Haven't seen anything about customizing keyboard shortcuts but I prolly haven't looked hard enough.

I do like it so far though.

There's definitely extensions that will let you save groups of tabs, or sessions as the extension that I use words it. The one I'm using is called Tab Mix Plus, which has a lot of nice features, but I think it's my memory hog (I have no evidence to support that though). Also the last time I checked you had to go to the developer's site to download a beta version of it to work with FF 3.0, instead of getting it from the Mozilla Add-On page, which is how it's normally done.

If there's no native way to customize keyboard shortcuts I bet there's an extension that does it.

ETA; I know there's other extensions that have the ability to save sessions or groups of tabs, but I don't have any knowledge of them and the last time I checked they didn't have some of the other features that I use in TMP.