• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Gore NY thread

urungus

Here's my TR from last year which should give you some idea.
https://forums.alpinezone.com/showthread.php/141691-Gore-3-23-amp-24-19-a-tale-of-2-seasons
Gore's glades are terrific, whether on Burnt Ridge or up in Straight Brook/High Peaks. They say Cirque is the longest glade in the east & I believe them. Haven't gotten over to Little Gore but plan to next month.
The densest glades would be the very top of Chatiemac Glades, but then they open up beautifully just below that- which fortunately you can access off of Chatiemac.

Nice trip report

Icecoastmatt

They're both top notch mountains but people in New England never get there for the same reason it took me forever to ski in NH and ME. You have to pass by alot of other top notch mountains to get there, which is kinda hard to do.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using AlpineZone mobile app
To be honest they are two of the only major north east I haven't hit this year so I'm willing to make the trip for something fresh thats worth it.

19-20: 21 days

Zand

They're both top notch mountains but people in New England never get there for the same reason it took me forever to ski in NH and ME. You have to pass by alot of other top notch mountains to get there, which is kinda hard to do.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using AlpineZone mobile app

Coming from New England, it's worth pairing a WF/Gore trip with a couple days in Lake Placid. One of my favorite towns on Earth.

Coming from NY, what's to draw you to NH/Maine? North Conway? Lol

bdfreetuna

Gore vs whiteface. What do you guys think?

19-20: 21 days

Gore for woods and more accessible short steep trails. Whiteface for ripping steep groomers. I haven't skied the Slides but either way Whiteface is a more challenging mountain and Gore is more "fun every where you go".

I first skied Gore last year and still intend to get my wife out there this year in the next few weeks. The woods on Burnt Mountain combined with variety of terrain set it apart from the majority of Northeast mountains.

Whiteface is fun and skis big but don't show up there with dull edges.

Last edited:

KustyTheKlown

yea, i'm planning on WF/Gore this weekend and hoping WF reopens the slides. i have a room reserved at lake george, and another in glens falls. really depends if my buddy joins me, as the glen falls one is substantially cheaper. but yes, lake george is the hotel zone for gore. 30-40 min drive or so.

ScottySkis

yea, i'm planning on WF/Gore this weekend and hoping WF reopens the slides. i have a room reserved at lake george, and another in glens falls. really depends if my buddy joins me, as the glen falls one is substantially cheaper. but yes, lake george is the hotel zone for gore. 30-40 min drive or so.

According to another ski forum looks like Whiteface is not opening the slides because lack of paterols
Been reading that on Harvey fourm ski conditions for Whiteface thread

Killingtime

Any tips on places to stay by Gore?

There's a place in North Creek called the Alpine Lodge. Clean, renovated rooms and reasonably priced. I was surprised at how nice it was. Walking distance to a supermarket and a great restaurant called barVino. Five minutes to the mountain. Other than that not too much else in North Creek. Good luck, Gore is awesome.

mikec142

There's a place in North Creek called the Alpine Lodge. Clean, renovated rooms and reasonably priced. I was surprised at how nice it was. Walking distance to a supermarket and a great restaurant called barVino. Five minutes to the mountain. Other than that not too much else in North Creek. Good luck, Gore is awesome.

I grew up skiing at Gore and love it. I think (shhhhhh) that it blows away anything in Southern VT. The big problem is there are very few places to stay and very little to do Apres ski. I also find it to be a few degrees (sometimes more) colder than pretty much anywhere in VT. We are lucky that we have two close friends that have places in the area so we usually stay with them when we go.

air0rmc

Lake George. There is not much up by Gore. Plus places to eat are far and few between near Gore.
Lots of abnb's near gore; no more than ten minutes away. There is also the lodge at Beck's; that's kind of an old school motel, but Beck's Tavern is pretty cool for food and drinks. It's right around the corner from the entrance road on peaceful valley.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Apres is for SoVT. Gore skiers get back to the cabin, stoke the fire, eat dinner and plan out the next day before crashing. A bunch of old farts really. We like it that way too.

This weekend:

barkeater_-_1.jpg

trees_-_1.jpg

sig_-_1.jpg

sig-and-mark_-_1.jpg

exploring_-_1.jpg

EDeO_-_1.jpg

the-sun_-_1.jpg

KustyTheKlown

beautiful gore pics. such great tree skiing there. i love my once yearly gore day. it will almost definitely be this sunday.

cdskier

was the bed comfortable and the room quiet?

I used to stay there when I went to Gore. "Rustic" is a good way to put it unless they've upgraded things a lot. Reminded me more of staying at a cabin in the woods than an Inn. Completely fine for me, but I could see some people not liking it.