• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Grass Skiing?

ChileMass

I mentioned this story a while ago in an earlier post - I skied on similar roller-track equipment at Catamount way back about 1978 (probably 5 technology generations ago no doubt). It was an outing from my college in Albany sponsored by the school ski club which not only provided lessons and lift tickets, but also a full BBQ and kegs of beer. In about my 4th run I figured out that you can't slide your skis on grass, and grass doesn't allow you any slack when you fall! I put my right hand down to brace myself in a wipeout and bent my thumb almost all the way back to my forearm, ripping a bunch of the tendons, ligaments, soft tissue of every kind, etc. Applying more beer made the pain go away, and I'm pretty sure we didn't hurry to the local emergency room (remember - 19-year-olds are indestructible). To this day my thumb occasionally pops out of joint in a most painful way, but skiing is a risk-reward sport, right - ?? I wonder if any local areas still offer this? I might have to try it again. It was big fun, despite the injury.......

Charlie Schuessler

My expirence with standard skis on downhill grass is go where the grass is nice and wet. Those who venture into the dirt and rocks need a lot of first aid.

Charlie Schuessler

"Rollerblading on Grass" looks interesting....a road trip to Bryce Mountain in the Scenic Shenandoah Valley or rent a Cessna 172 and land at thier strip? Which is it? I think I'll wait untill a mountain in New England has them.

T

trailbiscuit

That's just dumb...unless you can mount tele bindings on 'em! :wink:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Hillend, Scotland

I did this in Scotland at Hillend Recreational Center outside of Edinburgh. They had large astroturf and plastic-fiber mats that were laid down on the side of the mountain and the frequently were spraying water on them. The view was great and the runs were very challenging. They had a Chairlift and a couple T-bars. They even had a terrain park!!

God forbid if one fell...it was ROUGH.

They have a website: http://ski.midlothian.gov.uk/