• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Great NY Times article on skiing:

4aprice

It's so funny that he mentions skiing through the trees without a helmet. That's exactly how I started wearing one. Was skiing trees with a fellow at Solitude, who turned to me in the middle of the run and said "you should really think about a helmet, you've got kids." From that moment on I could not ski the trees the rest of that day and went out and purchased my first helmet that night.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

skiNEwhere

I'd be surprised if there were more deaths in the trees due to a head strike vs a chest strike honestly. If a tree strike is imminent and unavoidable, you can move your head out of the way to a degree. You can't really move your chest out of the way.

I've had 2 tree strikes in my 25+ years of skiing. It obviously varies a little, but here you can see I saw it coming and was able to turn my body a little and hit the branches.

thetrailboss

Staff member
My wife would agree with this line with regards to me:

Much like a drug addict, I’ve spent down payments and my kids’ college tuitions in pursuit of powder; money has been borrowed and checks have bounced because I cannot say no to skiing. I’m never as alive as when I’m doing fresh lines or speeding on ice.

Grizzly Adams

Awesome article thanks for sharing. I love the part when he's talking about all the poor conditions he's skied in and I agree with him, even a bad day on the slopes beats a good day anywhere else. People have asked me why I love skiing so much, I always tell them that there's an inexplicable high that comes from shredding unreal lines, and its a constant search for euphoria

Edd

Explaining the ski addiction is tough. I burn so much time off during the winter. Pretty sure my boss would like to shoot me in the face.

During this point in the season I really go for it on the number of days. Very little else gets done and my life becomes kind of disorganized. For all of the time and effort I don't need to do many runs in a single day to satisfy the craving.

MargitRobinson

Well the articles very informative. The moment ski season hits, people wish to make their bookings and enjoy their vacations. Interestingly, there are a lot of options for skiing in Australia. Be it group bookings or couple vacation, you will come across lodging facilities to suit every need. The place you choose has to be peaceful and bring in the warm charm of the locale. At the same time, it should be convenient for you to travel to your touring spots.The best getaway for people that are fond of skiing is at attunga alpine lodge and apartments . There are lots of ski lovers who have been there, have just enjoyed and felt amazing being at this accommodation facility. If you love skiing then book your stay and enjoy skiing. Many people have had the best time skiing there and they love the accommodation facility as well.

anyone reading this forum in the summer already knows they have a "problem". My family has it to, thank god.