• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

(h)Opening Day Thread 2018-2019

kbroderick

Plus there's a rumor on K-zone that once the top terminal of the Snowdon 6 is fully assembled, that K might have to push the snow on Great Northern out of the way to facilitate the moving of the crane apparently at the top of the S6 now on up and over to the top of the new South ridge lift for assembly purposes over there, and then push the snow back onto Great Northern and resurface.

Having seen that done elsewhere for an (unplanned) midseason bullwheel / bearing issue, I'm sure they'd like to minimize how much they need to drag the crane across serious snowpack.

HQABQtAt2-34seoFElSXG_NwgcI4tfJ1gb9zzIHlau3PK1vqmmSNG9B1nka66IrRxhPfOiWeukPL5N1sw96_Iv0MI4rjaCMBXX1NCkW7Pp8L5bon2UMKr1PrSE0_svIL3PBwWCN80_21l2LMvkQkyGVV4jDdV62jnjCtz-eU4CumIo_PmsvsINhss_OUZMLm9vE4sloAG0qMeUqcghTRtmIlACQqnr1gba0fNvGc9oeWeH_8BcYmCrRfd7eX0Ir5xRsI0O4VDj__1HWlWRocIijFpS-NOyT0NW5s_Kz5po0E4viB2p5qEwEmldtKCmw1D0kPs4yPRtOVJ8T6niq9i0GQlNSVdDQyCBSiFCJvG99EjU_4x7uWVpFBlYCazDV5p504rNcb0gRI_thSclfuLq0hu5Jyc-6vTGPNwm_7RniZEnJ43R9dwMVCjWSqxrUe0TZ-Ah_IcJE5nh1bsKPLaoClYqX-OHGggqpoc82N52tsHbKKeI-EV-h014RCzs5OgivTIBZrAe3kDwFhd3Qx1ylbwxnLOoaVBGRstPeII2ZCKO5aj7hj0dWpkkfp298Ayx6AYbUyZX4M1zmixOhEBr9TH9_nmTLw-DI8CZa4ElzSa8jL54ikbX30RNj1G-r-=w3182-h1790-no

vOq8pr7JOxR4JYpRiF0-NhuBqjrX3eYepoMWRV3jLF1ErzNAx7YiyAFcbVjMc403rpHYW6kNLTiT_-WNNDm0onrDb2Zgf0GYfyN_GBSh7nTAIv8a90VVFCcx9rC2lQa70GOv8v6Ksj32ce8t-909H_Vsq9ZSX5DQRoj1NJ_dnyAASkdZXWr6HCdJrkcUUf-c-2zn3OxQTd3zjgJ63vgyjpeM75gyfdOHGcSsUZY1dHYXN0DR45TzqI7N4IFT7lgkqeSJqwSFMdyz4sA7wbezCQmMMcHLHC6phay3iBjabdMwU823wO4yN57LmW0Xh27mxCghp70N_Xpkk8gOu-lngY93eGiogLrRBLNSMiNDjOSMkhEmKDT_MD0E2c2OnKLkr6Rq0W-AyJ_SJVFscHsFjNJYBRq64u0Pvl3isrwI__UGe7xQS3aY2d4cz27QAIC3Rn0vHd0OIh4snAOry-A0GDYzir8X1dGEEFSsJrx-P8bkiVJQhKgktxlkgoPrC4V9IWUUK3YxroZKAxifpKbA-wZCRercEMBOZ8IUuTFUwkS1qxYZnmlIKDlYe1cD-v9qOKcNqdtsucavef7hh2JngiSEk_TcgsuUU01kktagAqCWNGdYCjzneudO5fCYz1iZ=w3182-h1790-no

JimG.

Staff member
Re: K-zone - I cannot wrap my hands around the level of criticism over their mountain. They are putting in ungodly amounts of cash to fix major problems, improve the mountain, etc. From my standpoint, a person who calls K home has the world by the balls.

My sentiments as well.

tumbler

The entitlement of passholders, regulars and locals always surprises me. They think that they have joined a private country club and should have a say in what is going on. Just be happy the mtn is open and you have the longest season of anyone in the east.

skiur

I'm a Killington season pass holder. I don't post on kzone but I do read it. While some of the bitching goes a little over the top, Killington management does also read it and some things that get bitched about over there do get addressed on the mountain. So while some of it is kinda ridiculous, it does serve a purpose.

skicub

IMG_6686.jpg
Up to a foot at The River....pretty sweet! Wish I could make it up this weekend

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Jully

It is not sounding like SR will be TTB this weekend, too warm towards the base of Locke/Barker. Snow report only confirming upper Locke in play.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

Report now says they currently have enough snow to ski ttb, but don't know if it wil last with warming temps.

Think any of the barker trails they've been blowing are ready if they get lower punch open?

Jully

Report now says they currently have enough snow to ski ttb, but don't know if it wil last with warming temps.

Think any of the barker trails they've been blowing are ready if they get lower punch open?

Update: SR is top to bottom on Locke tomorrow. Sounds like it will be some walking required by the afternoon though. Midstation uploading and downloading still available. From the snow report:

You can expect deep coverage and grooming on T2 and Upper Sunday Punch with mid-loading still available on the Locke Mountain Triple, but skiing back to the base open on Sunday Punch and Lower Punch. Temperatures will be rising today and remaining above freezing most of the weekend, so expect early season conditions from the mid-station down with the potential for a bit of walking required at the base as conditions get skied off. The mid-station will continue to off downloading, so if you don't want to ski back to the base we've got you covered.

Riverveteran

Trails like?

tumbler

Looks like K is starting to lay it down on SS. Beautiful day for snowmaking.

drjeff

So basically it sounds like right now the only resorts with top to bottom for sure tomorrow will be Peak properties.

And if this coming weeks forecast pans out, by next weekend it might be just back to Killington and Sunday River with downloading required. The wildcard being will Mount Snow want to operate with Freefall and the Cascade to River Run options with downloading to the base?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

machski

So basically it sounds like right now the only resorts with top to bottom for sure tomorrow will be Peak properties.

And if this coming weeks forecast pans out, by next weekend it might be just back to Killington and Sunday River with downloading required. The wildcard being will Mount Snow want to operate with Freefall and the Cascade to River Run options with downloading to the base?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app
No, SR is TTB, just going to be a rough option to the base, just like Snow. Wildcat benefits from elevation and proximity to Mount Washington. I say that because driving up to SR tonight, Franconia had no snow in the notch at road level (plenty up on Cannon though in moonlight). Once I got to route 2, a lot of snow on North side of Presidentials. I expected the snow to be gone going downhill into Gorham but was surprised to find several inches on the ground still and plow banks.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app