• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hardest Line In the East? They get my vote!

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
That looks nice. Just the beginning looks a little hairy. Nice smooth turns after that.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app

twinplanx

Keep in mind that video seems to negate steepness. Just imagine that slope about 3x steeper then it appears in the video. That dude is one bad ass mofo...

MadMadWorld

Keep in mind that video seems to negate steepness. Just imagine that slope about 3x steeper then it appears in the video. That dude is one bad ass mofo...

Yea exactly. There was plenty of sloughing going on in that video. It is almost 45 degrees the entire time and gets to 50 plus in some spots.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AlpineZone mobile app

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Yea exactly. There was plenty of sloughing going on in that video. It is almost 45 degrees the entire time and gets to 50 plus in some spots.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AlpineZone mobile app

Steep sure but not "technical" once he was in the gut. Not saying it didn't take tremendous effort to get there though. But the snow once he got there - just sweet well earned turns.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
"The first known ski decent since 1997 and the first snowboard decent ever."

Am I missing something?

Was a snowboarder involved and not in the video? Was he looking up hill for a buddy? Doubtful he was alone.

MadMadWorld

Was a snowboarder involved and not in the video? Was he looking up hill for a buddy? Doubtful he was alone.

Yea, there is another video floating around the interwebs of the boarder from with an uphill POV angle. I saw it once but haven't seen it since.

MadMadWorld

What are typical lines you have skied on Katahdin?

Oh man so many chutes and couloirs to name in both the Great Basin and South Basin area. Saddle Chute is probably one of the most well known ones. Great Basin is the best place to start and offers some great skiing for people with not much of a climbing background. South Basin is where Chimney Couloir is along with a number of extremely hairy lines mostly reserved for ice climbers but as you can see when the conditions are right they can fill in pretty well. Even if you do get in prime condition, the approach is not easy at all. Knife's Edge can be pretty intimidating in the summer let alone the winter and Chimney is the farthest couloir along it. I skied the chute next to Chimney a few years ago and that was awesome. I have a bunch of pictures saved somewhere, maybe I can pull them up.

Here is Abol Slide (one of the tamer routes)

AbolSlide.jpg

Last edited:

Cannonball

This comment made me realize that you guys weren't watching the video I thought you were. I hadn't clicked the link because I'd already seen this story. This link is the complete story with footage from all skiers/riders with some good interviews and narration: http://bealadventures.com/wordpress/?p=565

Huck_It_Baby

Even if you do get in prime condition, the approach is not easy at all. Knife's Edge can be pretty intimidating in the summer let alone the winter and Chimney is the farthest couloir along it. I skied the chute next to Chimney a few years ago and that was awesome. I have a bunch of pictures saved somewhere, maybe I can pull them up.

Here is Abol Slide (one of the tamer routes)

Very cool!

So are you approaching from the Saddle trail and traversing the entire Knifes Edge to get over there? Couldn't you take Dudley and avoid KE?

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
This comment made me realize that you guys weren't watching the video I thought you were. I hadn't clicked the link because I'd already seen this story. This link is the complete story with footage from all skiers/riders with some good interviews and narration: http://bealadventures.com/wordpress/?p=565

NOW the truth comes out! Yeah - that's (I almost hate to say it) gnarly.

MadMadWorld

Very cool!

So are you approaching from the Saddle trail and traversing the entire Knifes Edge to get over there? Couldn't you take Dudley and avoid KE?

Theoretically you could but you better come prepared. KE can be scary but I think Dudley would be downright impossible in winter conditions even for the most experienced climber. It is very steep and the whole trail is exposed from beginning to end. Even though it would be shorter you would still have to take KE for a bit I believe. I haven't ventured over to South Basin much though so someone else might know more than I do.

Really the best way to do it is go straight up one of the couloirs or slides but I am not experienced enough to want to give that a shot.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Anyone got a picture of Katahdin from the distance to point out the full line? Or a google earth image would be cool.

They should put a lift up there. :spin: