• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

has anyone used shipskis.com or similar services?

BodeMiller1

I've been using shaped skis for a while now. Had Fishers than Atomic Race 8. Like skiing on rails.

I'm going back to a straighter cut. So many skis, better than ever. Lange boots are still good.

SnowRock

United used to have a program through FedEx that gave you a great discount on the advanced shipping which they discontinued (might have been a legacy continental thing).

I’ve used ship skis before… you can sometimes find discount codes (like 20%). Worked well. Sent ahead to Jackson as I was coming from a work trip with a couple legs beforehand.

Kingslug20

Make sure about the snow tires..got a suv from turo..guy said it had snow tires..it didn't.
But I'm just driving around park city area so doesn't matter..too much...
Your in a way different league..

crystalmountainskier

I personally would never pay $119 instead of $30 to the airline for essentially the same service. American is the worst US airline for mishandled bags but still only messes up 0.721% of the time. Willing to bet FedEx and UPS are late much more than that. I fly with skis all the time and have never had an issue.

KustyTheKlown

I’m paying for the peace of mind to not stress out about the connection, and for the ease of not shlepping a 50 lb 6 foot long bag on one leg of the trip. I’m happy with the cost so long as the service works as advertised

kendo

yea, my car is from a well reviewed owner and touts AWD and new snows on a 2017 Subaru legacy. should be all good.
what's the logistics of picking up and dropping the Turo rental at SLC (or other airport locations)? Do they meet you curbside on your return to the airport or do you have to park somewhere to handoff the rental? Considering using Turo for upcoming trips.

KustyTheKlown

what's the logistics of picking up and dropping the Turo rental at SLC (or other airport locations)? Do they meet you curbside on your return to the airport or do you have to park somewhere to handoff the rental? Considering using Turo for upcoming trips.

it all depends on the policy of the owner.

for me on this trip, and a pretty common scenario I've encountered in the past, the owner leaves the car for me in the airport lot with a remote access code or a lockbox on the exterior of the vehicle. i get in, i pay the $15 to leave the lot. i go on my way. i return it to the same lot and the owner pays to get it out. no contact with the owner in person.

Kingslug20

Yup..I called him..he drove to the indoor lot..that's it..
He paid for the exit

Tonyr

Considered it recently after the fact. I am interested to hear input.
I ship my skis back and forth every single trip using Ship Skis. For the extra $120 to $150 round trip above and beyond the airline baggage fees, it is worth every penny for me. Otherwise I have to get 3 sets of skis through the airport along with boot bags and luggage. I've gone through that painful exercise a couple of times in the past, but once I discovered Ship Skis I'll never lug all my gear around the airport again.

It is very easy, they pick up at your home and they pick up at the departing hotel. So I just drop my skis off in the lobby and am all set. I've used the service atleast a dozen times and never have had a bad experience. I couldn't recommend this service highly enough.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I ship my skis back and forth every single trip using Ship Skis. For the extra $120 to $150 round trip above and beyond the airline baggage fees, it is worth every penny for me. Otherwise I have to get 3 sets of skis through the airport along with boot bags and luggage. I've gone through that painful exercise a couple of times in the past, but once I discovered Ship Skis I'll never lug all my gear around the airport again.

It is very easy, they pick up at your home and they pick up at the departing hotel. So I just drop my skis off in the lobby and am all set. I've used the service atleast a dozen times and never have had a bad experience. I couldn't recommend this service highly enough.
The lugging and hassle is why I am interested. We just went back home to Vermont/Maine with ski boot bags and three sets of skis.....oy.

gittist

I assume the pricing on Ship Skis is a one way price?

Tonyr

The lugging and hassle is why I am interested. We just went back home to Vermont/Maine with ski boot bags and three sets of skis.....oy.
Last time I attempted what you did above I broke out in a full sweat getting everything to and from baggage claim, no thanks on doing that anymore. The service is worth it.

Tonyr

I assume the pricing on Ship Skis is a one way price?
You can book one way or round trip. If you ship a week in advance it comes out to about $130 each way. The skis always arrive earlier than the 7 day window you are quoted. Checking one oversized ski bag at the airport costs somewhere in $70 range each way if I remember correctly so the Ship Ski service is around an extra 60 bucks each way.

Last edited:

crystalmountainskier

Checking one oversized ski bag at the airport costs somewhere in $70 range each way if I remember correctly so the Ship Ski service is around an extra 60 bucks each way.
Skis are not considered oversize baggage at any US airline. In fact you actually can check two bags for the price of one if the first bags is skis.

KustyTheKlown

Skis are not considered oversize baggage at any US airline. In fact you actually can check two bags for the price of one if the first bags is skis.

Yes but I’ve had some airlines/agents be real dicks about the weight. It’s just inconsistent. Some say the combined weight of the boot and ski bag can’t be >50. Typically just my ski bag gets to near 50 with all the other shit I put in there. And I like packing it full so the skis are padded and don’t move around much.

Tonyr

I check 4 bags (2 boot bags and 2 pieces of luggage) plus my ski tube that has all three pairs of our skis in them and weighs over 50 lbs. I got charged every time I flew with my skis which was twice before I started shipping them beforehand.

SnowRock

Something I haven’t encountered befoe on my trip to Jackson last week via the direct from EWR.

A bunch of people on the flight had their ski bags come later that day/night/next day because there were too many ski bags and too much weight for the hold.

I think most came on a later non direct flight through Denver, but they didn’t get them until the next day.

From the conversations, it certainly sounded like many had been at the airport plenty early before the flight, so not sure how the airline decided what bags to leave off. Fortunately my bag made the cut.

Edd

Flying direct recently I paid $50 to check my ski bag with Delta. If I ever have connecting flights, I’ll consider this.