• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Have you bought ski gear on-line?

Have you bought ski/ride gear on-line?

• Yes

Votes: 18 85.7%
  • No

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters

SkiDog

I have...mostly used stuff..cant think of anything NEW I bought online.

I think my wife may have gotten my helmet online, but can't recall.

M

MarkC

Sure, I have bought a ton of gear on ebay. Also a few years ago there was a site called cheapsnowbards.com that had outstanding deals on closeout stuff from burton and many others. Going back a few more years when overstock.com first started they had great deals on helly hanson jackets and pants. I still have a helly hanson jacket that i got from them for $40. It probally has close to 800 days on it and it is still in good condition.

wa-loaf

Goggles, Gloves and Boots.

I'll have to say in tying this into the thread about mom and pops. It seems to that lot of the mom and pops are holding on by being the ones selling stuff online and on ebay.

highpeaksdrifter

Goggles, Gloves and Boots.

I'll have to say in tying this into the thread about mom and pops. It seems to that lot of the mom and pops are holding on by being the ones selling stuff online and on ebay.

That's an interesting take. I wonder in it makes up for the reduced foot traffic coming to the shop as a result of online buying.

bvibert

Staff member
I have, but I still prefer to see what I'm buying in person. If I go into a store and find something I like I'm likely to buy it there. I'm not big on wasting a store's time looking through their stuff and then buying it online to save a few bucks.

hammer

I have, but I still prefer to see what I'm buying in person. If I go into a store and find something I like I'm likely to buy it there. I'm not big on wasting a store's time looking through their stuff and then buying it online to save a few bucks.
I don't have a problem looking at an item in a store and then buying it online...that's called comparison shopping.

In any case, unless an online retailer has a big discount, I'd rather buy from the store...I also prefer to see the item in person, and buying in the store saves me the hassle of shipping an item back if I need to return it.

I haven't bought any skiing gear online, but I have picked up a few camping items from steepandcheap.com...hard to resist the deals. 8)

jack97

I bought marker bindings for less than $70 dollars. two year old brand new axis x for around $100. It's my favorite bump ski setup (it might change if I can find a good deal).

IMO, mom and pop shops have to adapt to the fact that online shopping is here to stay. It seems the places that have survived provide value in other ways; boot fitting, ski maintenance and children gear buy back programs.

Grassi21

Oakley A Frame Goggles
Camelbak Menace
Assorted base layer stuff
Adjustable poles
Dakine boot bag

Everything was Steep and Cheap but the goggles were from overstock.com

Greg

Staff member
I most recently bought a pair of Look PX12 bindings (flat) on eBay. Now I just need a pair of bump boards to mount them on.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
IMO, mom and pop shops have to adapt to the fact that online shopping is here to stay. It seems the places that have survived provide value in other ways; boot fitting, ski maintenance and children gear buy back programs.
I completely agree with this statement 100%. Also, I think it is important that brick and mortar shops develop an online presence. When the market place changes, businesses need to adjust and adapt. Those that successfully make the needed adjustments will stay in business and those that don't will close. I am not completely in line behind American Styled Capitalism, but the basics of capitalism are fantastic. Better online shops are provided better prices and better services for the consumer. This forces the mom and pop shops to up their game to stay competitive. They also need to offer higher quality service since mom and pops can not compete in prices due to lower volume and lower profit margins. Quite frankly, I find most mom and pop ski shops suck in selection and service (to be quite frank), but I have been made a loyal customer of those that provide good service and have been willing to drive out of my way to obtain that service.

As far as buying gear, I would estimate I purchase 75% of my gear online at this point. Stuff I need to try on I always buy in store. If I use a store to try something on, I almost always buy in store since I was serviced at that location. Skis are always purchased online, most stores seem to charge almost twice as much as what you can find skis for online (at least past the Holiday season such as most MLK weekend). I visited well over a dozen ski shops in the area during April and many still had skis at MSRVP or at least had not done any mark downs or clearance. Not a smart business decision. But the stores that had good sales were moving tons of gear and didn't have any quality stuff I would be interested in purchasing... those are the shops that are going to be around for years to come.