• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Helmet / Goggle Interface

deadheadskier

Staff member
In this day and age of technology advancement where so much regarding ski equipment is better than ever before (nevermind the other technologies of the world that were unthinkable a decade ago), why hasn't the goggle / helmet interface been perfected and standardized?

There's not one skiing engineer who has endeavored to figure this out?

I've seen some half assed tech with aftermarket goggle clips , but those sit on the side of the helmet and that doesn't really resolve the puzzle of keeping the goggles in place when worn up on the helmet instead of over the eyes. (See picture)

Shouldn't there be just a bit of a universal mold to the area above the forehead and helmet brim on all helmets that effectively hold them in place?

Am I the only one that gets mildly annoyed by this when I want to put my goggles up sometimes when riding the chair? I've got a pretty nice helmet as do my kids, but every helmet I've owned or seen, it just seems you need to balance goggy precariously in place or they slide off the back of the helmet.

Surprises me this hasn't been perfected. Seems it should be simple to do

Attachments

• download (2).jpeg
    download (2).jpeg
    7.2 KB · Views: 3

Edd

I typically have the same problem but happen to have a new set of goggles this season. Out of the box, the strap was set pretty tight so I went with that and they’re staying on the helmet better than normal when I put them up during lift rides.

So maybe the trick is to set the goggle strap stupid tight? A bit uncomfortable on the face, IMO, but I notice other people not struggling with this at all.

Kingslug20

It has been...kind of....saw a video on new goggles. Oakly...attaches with magnets...Screenshot_20230107_074458_Chrome.jpg
Once I removed the brim of my smith varient..the goggles fit up there better.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I typically have the same problem but happen to have a new set of goggles this season. Out of the box, the strap was set pretty tight so I went with that and they’re staying on the helmet better than normal when I put them up during lift rides.

So maybe the trick is to set the goggle strap stupid tight? A bit uncomfortable on the face, IMO, but I notice other people not struggling with this at all.

I do do this and while it mostly works, I just feel like this is an area of helmet design that could be greatly improved. And I'm surprised it hasn't given how long helmets have been almost universally worn by skiers.

NYDB

I try and keep the goggles on as much as possible-but when I push them up I use the brim on the helmet as a support to keep the goggles secure. If you don’t have a brim I could see an issue.

certainly better than spending $500 on that Oakley one piece proprietary thing.

Last edited:

Atomic

Not the most elegant fix but a few years ago I stuck some hard-surface grip tape (black triangle) patches on either side of my helmet that grip the goggle strap when they're on the "brim." Also stuck some under the rear strap snap. Works great and the color scheme/pattern of this particular lid blends in the patch pretty well. Your aesthetic sensitivities obviously may vary...

Attachments

• IMG-5094.jpg
    IMG-5094.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:

tumbler

Most googles now come with a rubbery strip on the inside of the strap that works well to hold them to the helmet.

pinion

Most googles now come with a rubbery strip on the inside of the strap that works well to hold them to the helmet.

Rubbery grip definitely helps, still slips every now and then. Similar to @Atomic I cut some skateboard grip tape and placed 4x strips (2x each side) of the helmet to help add extra slip protection. It works well enough, but not really a clip/secure solution.

It's a good question though: why is there not a standard for this at the product design and manufacturing level already?

1dog

Try Wildhorn combo helmet and goggles - inter-changeable lenses - inexpensive - $25-$30 each for different lighting. No wind or cold ears either.

wa-loaf

You can always get one of those visor style helmets. Which become useless once you get any snow in them ...

ceo

I've hated the helmet/goggles combination ever since I started wearing helmets. My bicycle helmet works better with goggles than any ski helmet I've had. Finally sprang for a Giro visor helmet; haven't had a chance to ski with it yet, but I tested it with my fleece balaclava and it didn't fog up my glasses.

ceo

by visor, I mean a goggle built into the helmet that flips down, not a bill like a construction helmet.