• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hermitage club

xwhaler

I don't like the orange tint on the S6 at Okemo....goggles up or goggles down it wasn't pleasant on the eyes.
I rode a bubble lift at Whistler that I believe had a smoke grey tint that was much better.

Newpylong

I don't like the orange tint on the S6 at Okemo....goggles up or goggles down it wasn't pleasant on the eyes.
I rode a bubble lift at Whistler that I believe had a smoke grey tint that was much better.

It was a terrible choice in color. I believe a few people in here forecasted what you described when they announced the lift.

drjeff

http://m.poststar.com/news/local/sk...5360-afe3-3dbf8ba194b6.html?mobile_touch=true

The triple they're taking out to build the 6 pack will be going to West Mountain in NY, not too far from Lake George and eventually be used to replace their old summit double and their younger, but still old Northwest Triple. West Mountain was the 2nd ski area I ever skied at, and one of my home ski areas as I was growing up back in the 80's. For various reasons, I really like this deal!

steamboat1

http://m.poststar.com/news/local/sk...5360-afe3-3dbf8ba194b6.html?mobile_touch=true

The triple they're taking out to build the 6 pack will be going to West Mountain in NY, not too far from Lake George and eventually be used to replace their old summit double and their younger, but still old Northwest Triple. West Mountain was the 2nd ski area I ever skied at, and one of my home ski areas as I was growing up back in the 80's. For various reasons, I really like this deal!
Glad to hear. Didn't West Mountain declare bankruptcy just a couple of years ago? I don't understand why they have a hard time making it. It's located less than an hour from Albany & has pretty good terrain. You can also buy a lift ticket for only a couple of hours, I think they sell them for either 2 or 4 hours. Plus they have night skiing. We sometimes used to ski there on our way home from VT. to shorten the trip. I did stop there this winter but not to ski. I collect ski area pins & didn't have West Mountain. Still don't because they don't sell them.

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Glad to hear. Didn't West Mountain declare bankruptcy just a couple of years ago? I don't understand why they have a hard time making it. It's located less than an hour from Albany & has pretty good terrain. You can also buy a lift ticket for only a couple of hours, I think they sell them for either 2 or 4 hours. Plus they have night skiing. We sometimes used to ski there on our way home from VT. to shorten the trip. I did stop there this winter but not to ski. I collect ski area pins & didn't have West Mountain. Still don't because they don't sell them.

I think the last regime went bankrupt; this is a new owner iirc.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

drjeff

Yup, new owner as of about a year ago - a local businessman with essentially life long ties to the area (I actually used to race against him in highschool back in the late 80's)

West has always had tons of potential, but suffered from its slow lifts and the simple fact that on weekends you have options like Gore, and central VT ski areas within an hour or so drive to tempt people to not get off the Northway at exit 18 and go for larger resorts elsewhere

steamboat1

TB you posted this article back in 2013.

WEST MOUNTAIN GETS NEW OPERATOR WITH BIG PLANS

PUBLISH DATE

08/19/2013

SAM Magazine--Queensbury, N.Y., August 19, 2013--As of August 15, West Mountain, N.Y., will be operated by Apex Capital and will open this winter. According to the Post Star, the group parted ways with the former ski area owner, Mike Barbone, but will now have full control over the resort. Barbone filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in June and, rather than seeing the bankruptcy process through, Apex Capital initiated a reorganization plan. Apex has so far invested more than $1 million to pay off back taxes and mortgages.

Over the past few years, Apex Capital has purchased 1,400 acres around the resort with the intent to develop. The entire project, called the Mont Luzerne development, will eventually encompass 2,400 acres, where a ski-in/ski-out community is envisioned. A key parcel, 500 acres of land that connected the mountain with the proposed development area, was in foreclosure until Apex Capital paid it off on July 31.

Future plans at the resort call for a new chairlift, minor renovations and a zipline for year-round business.

drjeff

TB you posted this article back in 2013.

WEST MOUNTAIN GETS NEW OPERATOR WITH BIG PLANS

PUBLISH DATE

08/19/2013

SAM Magazine--Queensbury, N.Y., August 19, 2013--As of August 15, West Mountain, N.Y., will be operated by Apex Capital and will open this winter. According to the Post Star, the group parted ways with the former ski area owner, Mike Barbone, but will now have full control over the resort. Barbone filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in June and, rather than seeing the bankruptcy process through, Apex Capital initiated a reorganization plan. Apex has so far invested more than $1 million to pay off back taxes and mortgages.

Over the past few years, Apex Capital has purchased 1,400 acres around the resort with the intent to develop. The entire project, called the Mont Luzerne development, will eventually encompass 2,400 acres, where a ski-in/ski-out community is envisioned. A key parcel, 500 acres of land that connected the mountain with the proposed development area, was in foreclosure until Apex Capital paid it off on July 31.

Future plans at the resort call for a new chairlift, minor renovations and a zipline for year-round business.

If i'm not mistaken, the current owner is one that came in after APEX capital, and bought West about a year ago

drjeff

So there have been two since 2013?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Pretty sure that's the case

I'm just wondering if the super comfy, custom embroidered seat pads the Hermitage had made for the Barnstormer triple a few years ago are a part of the deal?!? We're talking extra comfy couch like ride on them?!

drjeff

I now get where my "confusion" came from - Apex initially bought West a few seasons ago, and hired a company to run the ski area for them. Then about a year later, they stopped using the company to operate the ski area for them and started doing it themselves, at which point it coincides with what I thought was Spencer, himself, taking over as the GM - Same owners, just now a much more of a hands on owner than before