• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hickory

SKIQUATTRO

overheard some folks talking about Hickory at Bromley this weekend....one said it was like a little MRG..anyone have any 1st hand experience? if its good i'd like to hit it March 20/21 weekend for a day or so....

witch hobble

Hickory is awesome and you should definitely try to go. And bring friends.

Much more modest in all aspects than MRG. Half the elevation, half the vert. I'm sure less than half the snowfall. But characteristically very similar. I believe they had the same trail designer. Legitimate steep terrain, all natural and funky. Old school. Down home. Throw back. However you want to call it. I've said it before, it makes MRG seem like a modern, bustling resort.

Do keep plans flexible. It can be feast or famine there from one weekend to the next. I'm sure this was not an easy season to reopen.

drjeff

If they didn't "tame" it too much during the re-opening work, the upper poma at Hickory has argueably the best launch of any lift in the Northeast IMHO! Hickory is a funky, cool place when the snow is good. If you want to hit it, do it based on when the snow is good, not just on your schedule

skimore

18.jpg

19.jpg

hickory.jpg

drjeff

drool.gif

All that's mising from those pics is a shot of the "launch" of the upper mtn poma! :)

Philpug

Hickory makes Mad River (and even Magic) look like Deer Valley. it is a must hit.

SKIQUATTRO

as long as conditions permit, we'll be there..if not we'll wait till its prime

drjeff

as long as conditions permit, we'll be there..if not we'll wait till its prime

You might be waiting a couple of years then SkiQuattro ;) :lol:

Even when Hickory is prime, you'll still likely end up with some base damage - it's just one of those types of places, and given, especially off the upper poma, the steep nature of the place, all natural snow (for now at least), you'll usually have areas of thin/no cover to deal with - but it's well worth it IMHO