• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Highest chairlift terminal in New England ?

urungus

What is highest chairlift terminal in New England ? Killington advertises 4241 but that is the true summit, I read the gondola terminal is at 4215 feet. Similarly Sugarloaf advertises 4237 but I have not been able to find elevation of top terminal of Timberline Quad.

Second question, what is on-map New England trail with highest top elevation ? Is it Catwalk at Killington ? (Ski tracks app, which I don’t find to be particularly accurate measured that at 4221 for me yesterday). Hard to tell from Sugarloafs map where some of the summit trails start.

Whiteface would win both questions but is not technically in New England.

D4769CCB-D30E-498C-AF45-7D39BCCDE833.jpeg

thebigo

If I recollect this was discussed on the Nelsap forum several years ago and the answer was K for highest bullwheel. I suspect the loaf would technically win for highest on map trail in new england, catwalk is not the actual summit. It has been a number of years since I hiked K but I remember hiking down from a summit cone to the old summit building, the hike down felt larger than the hike up to catwalk.

Zand

Not sure how accurate it is, but Google Earth has the top of K1 at 4139 ft and the top of Timberline at 4170 ft.

thetrailboss

Staff member
The top of K-1 is a ways below the true summit. Catwalk is also a little below the summit. I can't recall how much higher the old Gondi building is from the top of Timberline at Sugarloaf but the climb was not that bad. I'd say Sugarloaf is higher but not by much.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I'm looking on Google Earth. I get coordinates but not elevation. Looking at it again, after all these years, the top of Timberline is pretty close to the actual top. Looks like it is about 300 feet horizontally from the top of Timberline. I'd still say it is higher.

Last edited:

2Planker

The Cat is 4,400 which is approx 200' above K's summit
Peak A (there are technically 5 summits A,B,C,D,E) is right where the Quad unloads.
True Peak A summit is probably 10'-15' above the lift terminal.

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Peak A (there are technically 5 summits A,B,C,D,E) is right where the Quad unloads. True summitt is prob 15' above that
I'm glad you said that. I was thinking that Wildcat must be up there. The last time I was at that summit was in 2008 so my memory is not great. Wildcat's own Trail Map says that the summit is 4,062' so that puts them below the Loaf and Killington.

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
What is highest chairlift terminal in New England ? Killington advertises 4241 but that is the true summit, I read the gondola terminal is at 4215 feet. Similarly Sugarloaf advertises 4237 but I have not been able to find elevation of top terminal of Timberline Quad.

Second question, what is on-map New England trail with highest top elevation ? Is it Catwalk at Killington ? (Ski tracks app, which I don’t find to be particularly accurate measured that at 4221 for me yesterday). Hard to tell from Sugarloafs map where some of the summit trails start.

Whiteface would win both questions but is not technically in New England.

View attachment 51526
I also love how "The Snowfields" (TM) is trademarked. :ROFLMAO:

xlr8r

The top of the Wildcat Express actually looks to be just below 4000', based on looking at Topo and measuring in Google Earth. It looks to be around 3975'. Cannon and Sugarbush are just over 4000', around 4040' for Cannon, and 4060' for Mt Ellen.

Zand

Peak A (there are technically 5 summits A,B,C,D,E) is right where the Quad unloads.
True Peak A summit is probably 10'-15' above the lift terminal.
Top of the quad is below 4100. Same with top of Cannonball Quad, Kennebago Quad, and Summit Quad at Mt Ellen.

I think these 6 lifts are the only ones above 4000' in New England.