• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hoax Ebay e-mail

Edd

I made a transaction on Ebay today and about 5 hrs later I got an email from "Ebay" with the following message:

"We regret to inform you that your eBay account has been suspended due to concerns we have for the safety and integrity of the eBay community.

Per the User Agreement, Section 9, we may immediately issue a warning, temporarily suspend, indefinitely suspend or terminate your membership and refuse to provide our services to you if we believe that your actions may cause financial loss or legal liability for you, our users or us. We may also take these actions if we are unable to verify or authenticate any information you provide to us.

Please note that any seller fees due to eBay will immediately become due and payable. eBay will charge any amounts you have not previously disputed to the billing method currently on file.

To activate your suspended eBay account please complete the form located at..."

There's a link sending you to a somewhat convincing web page with fields to enter your username and password. In addition to the strangely vague email, the linked page is oddly blurry. I did some quick research and this particular e-mail has been circulating for awhile, I think. Be aware.

Oh yeah, I went to my Ebay account and no mention of any problem.

ctenidae

I agree, clicking on the link was dumb. Too many Guinnesses....

Sometimes you just have to see, though. How good are these guys, or how convincing can they be, or how could anyone be fooled by a scam so transparent/

It's like a train wreck sometimes- you just have to watch.

Glenn

E-bay has been pretty good as of late with putting your name or e-bay name is all communcations from them.

SkiDork

just mouse over the link. You'll see it in the lower left corner of IE and you can usually identify it as bogus just by reading it.