• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Holding Family to Sell Sinclair Oil; Keep Snowbasin and Sun Valley

thetrailboss

Staff member
Earl died in 2013. When Sun Valley and Snowbasin joined Epic, I figured that was Vail test driving those areas before a potential purchase. Well, in hindsight, I had it backwards. The family wants out of the oil business and wants to keep its hospitality businesses--the hotels and the ski resorts. Holding got his start with Little America and they were into hospitality before oil. Plus, I would think that oil's time horizon is probably growing more limited each day with concern about climate change, etc. So sell when the market is high.

HollyFrontier is buying Sinclair Oil and the new company will be named, "HF Sinclair."

As one of my buddies who frequents Snowbasin said, "when you have billions of dollars you need a place to entertain your friends." Or in this case, two ski areas.

machski

Earl died in 2013. When Sun Valley and Snowbasin joined Epic, I figured that was Vail test driving those areas before a potential purchase. Well, in hindsight, I had it backwards. The family wants out of the oil business and wants to keep its hospitality businesses--the hotels and the ski resorts. Holding got his start with Little America and they were into hospitality before oil. Plus, I would think that oil's time horizon is probably growing more limited each day with concern about climate change, etc. So sell when the market is high.

HollyFrontier is buying Sinclair Oil and the new company will be named, "HF Sinclair."

As one of my buddies who frequents Snowbasin said, "when you have billions of dollars you need a place to entertain your friends." Or in this case, two ski areas.
It also doesn't hurt if that "entertainment" side business can be a write off break even or slight loss 😜with billions in the bank