• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hoping the AZ'rs can help with some questions about Okemo

Dmiller27

First off.. I know Okemo has it's naysayers, but this is a family trip that my brother in law and sister in law planned. I didn't really want to get too involved as they have kids and as long as they are happy I'll make due. They did a great job and booked us a large unit in Solitude village for slope side ski on ski off so I can't really complain about that.

So now down to a few questions that I'm hoping the group can help out with.

I understand the bubble lift line is a mad house and should be avoided. What areas of the mountain are typically less crowded? As far as Apres any recommendations? Any fun insider tips about the mountain that I should check out. Last but not least any deals out there for a three day pass? I've been searching but haven't seen anything except liftopia.

VTKilarney

While I can't answer your specific questions, I wanted to point out that even if there are naysayers on this forum, Okemo does what it does VERY well. Most people here aren't looking for the type of product that Okemo delivers, but for newer skiers and families there is a lot to like about Okemo. So just because it's not great for the average AZ user does not mean that it isn't great for other people too.

xwhaler

You will have a good time there for sure. As VTKillarney mentioned they do a lot of things very well. I have a family place we go to near Okemo and my uncle is a passholder who gets 80 days in at the mtn.

Best trail pod for moderately pitched groomers=South Face....few decent birch trees over there too if available.
Jackson Gore can usually be pretty quiet. Solitude chair is good for lapping first thing. I dont really care for the trails off the Green Ridge triple...the chair itself is slow and the trails are narrow but w/o much character and seem to get scraped off quickly.

Apres on the mtn is limited. Sitting Bull has below average food and the beer list/atmosphere is nothing remarkable. You would do better going to Toms Loft just below the main base lodge. Excellent beer list---nachos are very good and huge!
Hit up the Brewfest Beverage Co in Ludlow to stock up the condo....incredible selection of micros.

Okemo not many deals out there. NH/VT ID Sunday Solution $35 from 8-1 is when I ski Okemo which I find to be a real nice value for the mtn of vertical you can bag during that time.

Have Fun!

Dmiller27

While I can't answer your specific questions, I wanted to point out that even if there are naysayers on this forum, Okemo does what it does VERY well. Most people here aren't looking for the type of product that Okemo delivers, but for newer skiers and families there is a lot to like about Okemo. So just because it's not great for the average AZ user does not mean that it isn't great for other people too.

I'm not saying it is bad from my perspective. I've only skied it twice and didn't have a bad time at all. I've just never been there during busier times, but have heard it can be packed. This is also my first time doing more than a day trip up there.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Tom's Loft is definitely the best Apres spot.

DJ's for reasonably priced basic dining with a nice salad bar. It's a few steps above your basic chain restaurant, but priced fairly. Prime Rib is quite good there. Sam's is about the same, a little better quality, but much more expensive.

The Downtown Grocery for $$$$ farm to table cuisine. Probably not a place to bring the kids. Most kitchen talent in town by far.

Mr. Darcy's is probably the best pub food in town.

Pot Belly Pub is the biggest tourist trap in town and is to be avoided at all costs.

Pizza - Goodman's is good. Village Pizza is utter garbage.

If you decide to go out to eat town, definitely plan on reservations for Saturday night.

If you plan on just bringing food to prepare at the Condo, I'd recommend stopping somewhere along the way and packing a cooler. The Shaw's in town is pretty limited and horrendously over priced. However, if you don't feel like hassling with that, buy your steaks at Singleton's. Here you will also pay out the ass, but the quality is much better. This is a store worth going to anyways. Very unique place. You can buy a side of .45 shells in the store while the Butcher weighs your steak. 4 miles south of town in Proctorsville. http://singletonsvt.com/ Very few stores anywhere in New England quite like Singleton's.

Dmiller27

However, if you don't feel like hassling with that, buy your steaks at Singleton's. Here you will also pay out the ass, but the quality is much better. This is a store worth going to anyways. Very unique place. You can buy a side of .45 shells in the store while the Butcher weighs your steak. 4 miles south of town in Proctorsville. http://singletonsvt.com/ Very few stores anywhere in New England quite like Singleton's.

Straight from Singleton's website. "sportsmans paradise, and a meat-lovers heaven" I'll be stopping there to get some ammo and meat, the wife will love it. :daffy:

xwhaler

We walk to Singleton's from my uncles place to pick up stuff for the grill every night we are up there...literally a 5 minute walk. It's a great spot....lot of good marinated meats.

podunk77

If people in your group are looking for blue/green groomers, the trails served by the Solitude lift usually aren't crowded and they're lengthy enough to be fun. There's a separate smaller pod below the Solitude lift (lift name escapes me, but trail names include Line Drive, Moonshadow, etc.) that are fun too if open, though they're short and the chair that serves them is kinda slow. If you're spending 3 days there, though, you'll have plenty of time to try all the different pods and find your favorite. Tuckered Out on the extreme skier's left of Jackson Gore is a fun trail too.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
If I were you, I'd start off by lapping Solitude. When that gets busy, go to that pod below Solitude. Kids LOVE the bridges and tunnels. Bring em over to Jackson Gore so they can go over the train tracks and down Tuckered Out, which is pretty easy and very long. Then you can go back to your condo for lunch. Skip the main mountain and go to South Face.

BTW, if you can sneak in a few runs... lookers right on the South Face lift. Keep an eye peeled near the top and you'll find some good lines that are in plain sight.

HD333

Ride the sunburst 6 to get some vert in until lines form, 9:30ish. Then head to Jackson Gore for Tuckered Out with the kids. Spin off to South Face and stay there until you get tired or lines form then back to the condo for lunch.

The plunge off the Solitude lift has been nice this season, one side is nicely bumped up.

Hopefully they get some snow, they are making a ton right now but they are in need of a real dumping to open up some natural trails.

On MT Food, Squeals on Wheals at South Face has good grub for lunch if you can eat outside.

Après Toms Loft wins hands down and it is still kind of on the Mountain, can be tough to get a table though. In a pinch Sitting Bull has decent pub grub but a limited beer selection, they usually have a band/DJ and après events going on.
Mr Darcey's could be a good escape for you and the wife if you need to get away. The truffle fries are actually worth the trip.

DHS, haven't been to Pot Belly but Outback has to be the biggest tourist trap, no? Avoid that place at all costs.

Love singletons, just don't like looking at the receipt after. They really do have everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
Outback would be 2nd IMO.

Pot Belly has been around for 30 years. Not a local in town has stepped foot in the place for 29. That's why they get the title. I could go into the many reasons why beyond food and service quality, but I'll be kind and just say spend your money else where.

HD333

Outback would be 2nd IMO.

Pot Belly has been around for 30 years. Not a local in town has stepped foot in the place for 29. That's why they get the title. I could go into the many reasons why beyond food and service quality, but I'll be kind and just say spend your money else where.

I'll take your word for it. I haven't gone yet and now I won't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

witch hobble

I was a dishwasher at the Pot Belly very briefly in 1993. Walked away mid shift one night.....not proud of it.....but if you think the food and service were lousy, you should have seen the morale. Never been back. Not even to pick up my last paycheck. I believe it has changed hands since.

Sounds like some new food options in Dudlow these days.

skifree

No matter what do not take the mountain road trail.
Toms loft is great après spot
South face has a few hidden gems

canobie#1

I went today. DO NOT TAKE LOWER MOUNTAIN ROAD unless you absolutely have to. It is a NIGHTMARE.
Solitude area kinda sucks when it comes to character but the kids would love it. The South Peak is the nicest area. All the trails have character and are very fun to lap.
The line for sunburst moves really quick, make sure you get some of the runs in on the main face of okemo, they're much better than solitudes.
Jackson Gore's Tuckered Out is one of the best trails. It's like Sunday Rivers Lalapalooza or Wandering Skis at Attitash except it's a little more narrow.
Other than the Six Pack and Solitude, the lines should be fine.

Sachem Quad to the summit Quad is a nice secondary route along with the black ridge triple to that green ridge triple. All pretty slow but not too long.

mightaswell

I too will praise Mr Darcy's. Nice meal and beer there. Same goes for Killarneys where we had a meal and took in some late Sunday afternoon football. Went to DJ's a couple of years ago and had very nice family meals there as well but didn't make it there this time around. Ludlow is nice enough but don't go there expecting great nightlife. The area is for families and friends who want to relax and make their own fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk