• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

HOTELS, MOTELS and LODGES how prices have changed from MILD to WILD since Covid-19. Where are you finding deals?

heiusa

The best way to keep your lodging costs down is by joining a ski club with a house. There are plusses and minuses, but for me there are way more plusses.
The main plus is cost, but the other plusses are that I made a lot of new ski friends, I don't need to worry about finding lodging, I have more space than my room, year round access, The main minus is I need to do chores,

In my case I joined a club with a ski house at the base of Pico, that gives me easy access to Pico and Killington, and a short drive to Okemo. Sugarbush is also not to far.
I can hit Southern VT areas on Sunday and be a little closer to home after skiing.

The club I belong to is the Sperry Ski Club [https://sperryskiclub.clubexpress.com/] [https://www.facebook.com/sperryskiclub/]

The are many other clubs with houses in VT. You can find other clubs on this website: http://www.metnyski.org/

Tissanjoe

Booking accommodations can be a bit of a rollercoaster, huh? I remember once scoring what seemed like a too-good-to-be-true deal at a cozy lodge near my favorite mountain. Turned out to be a hidden gem!

As for finding deals, I've had luck checking out smaller inns and B&Bs in the surrounding areas. Sometimes you stumble upon a real bargain without sacrificing comfort. And hey, if you ever get the chance to upgrade to business class for your travels, it's a total game-changer! The extra legroom and perks make the journey feel like part of the vacation.

Last edited:

RH29

If it's a one-night stay or a mountain-hopping thing, I save a lot of money by staying down in the valleys and just commuting up. Have had plenty of luck with sub-$150 rates around Burlington, Brattleboro, Concord. Even as far up as Lake George, Tilton/Laconia, and WRJ/Lebanon there's still usually cheap rates to be found, more on Saturday nights and especially in March.

If it's a multi-night stay then yeah Airbnbs/condos have gotten crazy. There's usually some affordableish ones at Jay, but not always. Hotels right in some of the bigger mountain towns are usually insane too.

zyk

Was just on the road for 22 days. 12 states. Some skiing involved. Rates weren't bad, typically under $70. The condo in Breckenridge was cheap. Two incidents during the trip. One place was very sub par and my standards are very low. The other was an issue with closed roads so I had to pay walk up rate. Otherwise affordable and easy.

jimk

Was just on the road for 22 days. 12 states. Some skiing involved. Rates weren't bad, typically under $70. The condo in Breckenridge was cheap. Two incidents during the trip. One place was very sub par and my standards are very low. The other was an issue with closed roads so I had to pay walk up rate. Otherwise affordable and easy.
I just drove across the country as well, SLC to Wash DC over the course of eight days. Nice weather and low to moderate crowds at many points of interest. Motel rates were ok, but a bit more than when I made the opposite trip in Jan 2024. Highlight was with the Drury hotel chain. It's a family owned chain with about 150 hotels primarily in the mid-West. Nice, affordable, and well run properties. Unfortunately, AFAIK none in New England. We stayed in one in the St Louis area on May 19. $103 on Priceline, before taxes. As I was walking from the elaborate breakfast bar the morning after our stay I remembered something and went up to the front desk clerk and told her "no big deal, but someone should check on a small smoke detector light that kept blinking all night in the ceiling of our room." She apologized and asked for my name and room number. About an hour later as my wife and I were leaving the hotel to hit the road she called out as we walked past the desk. I came over and she handed me a voucher for a free stay in the future. Wow, I didn't even ask for it.

The next night we stayed for free in another nice Drury hotel in downtown Columbus, Ohio, not far from a famous German restaurant (The Schmidt's Sausage Haus) where we enjoyed a tasty dinner. (We could have eaten at the Drury, many serve a free light dinner, the Columbus location even offered free beer from 5-7pm.)

I guess the nice gesture of a free voucher worked it's magic because I'm sharing here about my favorable impression of Drury Hotels :)

Last edited:
Reactions: zyk

2Planker

Yummmmm
Schmid's s Sausage Haus is GREAT
Was there for their 100th Anniversary Party and that was in 1986

Smellytele

My son just sleeps in the back of his truck with a cap that is all insulated. He is actually driving 9 hours from where he is living in driggs Idaho to Vegas to see dead and co in the sphere this weekend. He’ll drive 4 hours the first evening into Utah then the rest of the way to the show the day of, see the show then turn around drive 4 hours or so back into Utah and then drive the rest of the way the next day.
Ode to be young and free.

jimk

Yummmmm
Schmid's s Sausage Haus is GREAT
Was there for their 100th Anniversary Party and that was in 1986
I brought home some of their Bahama Mama sausages and some giant cream puffs. Cream puffs almost gone, but gonna grill the sausages soon. Compared to Wash DC the food was cheap too.
schmidt's sausage haus columbus oh.jpg

jimk

My son just sleeps in the back of his truck with a cap that is all insulated. He is actually driving 9 hours from where he is living in driggs Idaho to Vegas to see dead and co in the sphere this weekend. He’ll drive 4 hours the first evening into Utah then the rest of the way to the show the day of, see the show then turn around drive 4 hours or so back into Utah and then drive the rest of the way the next day.
Made the drive from SLC to Vegas many times. It's gorgeous and peaceful, esp compared to eastern interstates like I95!!!
Mt Nebo and I15 south of SLC:
nebo distant 24 april 2023.jpg

Last edited:

TyWebb

Made the drive from SLC to Vegas many times. It's gorgeous and peaceful, esp compared to eastern interstates like I95!!!
Mt Nebo and I15 south of SLC:
View attachment 62870

I've driven I-95 to Florida (Philly burbs) way to many times as I have customers up and down that corridor till Jacksonville and thn usually head to Delray to spend some time with my parents. I love to drive and drive a lot and 95 is the WOAT - so boring

TyWebb

July 4th week - flying into Denver to visit my daughter for a couple of days since she is staying at school (Boulder) for the summer, classes and work. Taking the drive from Boulder to Vegas to catch Dead and Co - looking forward to that drive and planning stops @ some parks on the way. Just decided where it will be to hot to hike and bike. Still love traveling to see bands and check out different areas of the country and I am not young but still free

zyk

I've driven I-95 to Florida (Philly burbs) way to many times as I have customers up and down that corridor till Jacksonville and thn usually head to Delray to spend some time with my parents. I love to drive and drive a lot and 95 is the WOAT - so boring
From the western Catskills I take I-88 to I-81 to go south or I-88 to I-86 to go west. I try to avoid both I-95 and I-90 if possible. Thankfully I'm not driving for work so I can pick my route and adventure along the way.

jimk

July 4th week - flying into Denver to visit my daughter for a couple of days since she is staying at school (Boulder) for the summer, classes and work. Taking the drive from Boulder to Vegas to catch Dead and Co - looking forward to that drive and planning stops @ some parks on the way. Just decided where it will be to hot to hike and bike. Still love traveling to see bands and check out different areas of the country and I am not young but still free
I just drove through UT, NM and CO last week, before continuing to VA. From Boulder to Vegas you could drive right by some nice stuff, for example Colorado National Monument's Rim Rock Drive and Arches National Park. For photos and comments on those two and other places see HERE .

PS: Arches requires reservations unless you arrive after 4 PM (which is a good time to visit, cooler). Nearby Canyonlands NP is less busy and no reservations required. Can do both in one day, not far off I70. There are also two great Utah state parks along that section of I70, Dead Horse Point and Goblin Valley. Heck, just driving through the Virgin River Canyon on I15 south of St. George will blow your mind with scenery.

Last edited:

Tonyr

I just drove through UT, NM and CO last week, before continuing to VA. From Boulder to Vegas you could drive right by some nice stuff, for example Colorado National Monument's Rim Rock Drive and Arches National Park. For photos and comments on those two and other places see HERE .
Nice report Jim. During our April trip to UT we drove out to Moab after SLC and spent a few days there which was our 2nd time visiting the area.

Moab feels like another world, you almost can't believe a place like that in the world exists and surprisingly, for how remote it is, Moab has quite a few very good restaurants in town. We flew home from Grand Junction which is an hour and a half from Moab and that experience was much easier then I thought it would be.

BenedictGomez

I've driven I-95 to Florida and/or back probably about 30 times. The first being 1984, the last being 2020. It has changed massively over the years.

Back in the 1980s to the late 1990s, you had to monitor your gas because there were places in the South you could go 80 miles without a gas station. Now? No fear of that, there are exits and new towns with gas stations, Subways, and Burger Kings everywhere.

I find it interesting, surprising, and sad, how clueless the average American is regarding population dynamics in their own nation. There are 50% more (Yes, FIFTY PERCENT) people in America in 2020 than there were in 1980. If you saw 20 people in a restaurant in 1980, there are about 30 there now. And much of this ignores or undercounts illegal aliens. Point being, those roads you used to cruise on at 95 mph in 1995 at midnight in North Carolina without another vehicle in your rearview mirror, you are simply not able to do so anymore. The highways are littered with cars even at 2am. I'd make central NJ to central FL in about 15.5 or 16 hours in the 1990s, but by 20 or 25 years later 18.5 hours to 20 hours was more typical.

Last edited:

2planks2coasts

I just drove across the country as well, SLC to Wash DC over the course of eight days. Nice weather and low to moderate crowds at many points of interest. Motel rates were ok, but a bit more than when I made the opposite trip in Jan 2024. Highlight was with the Drury hotel chain. It's a family owned chain with about 150 hotels primarily in the mid-West. Nice, affordable, and well run properties. Unfortunately, AFAIK none in New England. We stayed in one in the St Louis area on May 19. $103 on Priceline, before taxes. As I was walking from the elaborate breakfast bar the morning after our stay I remembered something and went up to the front desk clerk and told her "no big deal, but someone should check on a small smoke detector light that kept blinking all night in the ceiling of our room." She apologized and asked for my name and room number. About an hour later as my wife and I were leaving the hotel to hit the road she called out as we walked past the desk. I came over and she handed me a voucher for a free stay in the future. Wow, I didn't even ask for it.

The next night we stayed for free in another nice Drury hotel in downtown Columbus, Ohio, not far from a famous German restaurant (The Schmidt's Sausage Haus) where we enjoyed a tasty dinner. (We could have eaten at the Drury, many serve a free light dinner, the Columbus location even offered free beer from 5-7pm.)

I guess the nice gesture of a free voucher worked it's magic because I'm sharing here about my favorable impression of Drury Hotels :)
I know some folks love the Drury Inn's, but I'm not a fan. I spend about 200 nights a year in hotels and sometime around 2016 my employer briefly had a preferred rate at the Drury inn located in Denver. Very Best Western-y vibe and the toiletry dispensers would leak a pile of bright pink all-in-one shower goo into the tub every night. We're Hilton & Marriott people and it takes a lot to lure us away from those chains.

jimk

I know some folks love the Drury Inn's, but I'm not a fan. I spend about 200 nights a year in hotels and sometime around 2016 my employer briefly had a preferred rate at the Drury inn located in Denver. Very Best Western-y vibe and the toiletry dispensers would leak a pile of bright pink all-in-one shower goo into the tub every night. We're Hilton & Marriott people and it takes a lot to lure us away from those chains.
LOL. 200 nights a year is insane!
images

One night on our recent long trip we stayed in a cheap ($87 including tax) motel in Salida, CO. It was an old school, mom&pop motor court. Not my wife's style, but we had a good steak dinner that night with the savings. The next night my wife got revenge. We stayed in a nice, new Hilton Garden Inn along I70 in Hays, KS for about $200. I heard the desk clerk tell another guest that this was the best hotel/motel with the finest services within two hours. Hays is in the middle of nowhere/prairie, so I wondered where the nicer place was within two hours, maybe Dodge City??

I realize you must have enough loyalty points to never pay for motels when you're on leisure travel. Nice.

4aprice

Back in the 1980s to the late 1990s, you had to monitor your gas because there were places in the South you could go 80 miles without a gas station. Now? No fear of that, there are exits and new towns with gas stations, Subways, and Burger Kings everywhere.
Just be aware there is close to a 50 mile gap of services on I-70 between approximately Moab and Grand Jct Co if your traveling that way.

I find it interesting, surprising, and sad, how clueless the average American is regarding population dynamics in their own nation. There are 50% more (Yes, FIFTY PERCENT) people in America in 2020 than there were in 1980. If you saw 20 people in a restaurant in 1980, there are about 30 there now. And much of this ignores or undercounts illegal aliens.
Scary isn't it?

2planks2coasts

LOL. 200 nights a year is insane!
images

One night on our recent long trip we stayed in a cheap ($87 including tax) motel in Salida, CO. It was an old school, mom&pop motor court. Not my wife's style, but we had a good steak dinner that night with the savings. The next night my wife got revenge. We stayed in a nice, new Hilton Garden Inn along I70 in Hays, KS for about $200. I heard the desk clerk tell another guest that this was the best hotel/motel with the finest services within two hours. Hays is in the middle of nowhere/prairie, so I wondered where the nicer place was within two hours, maybe Dodge City??

I realize you must have enough loyalty points to never pay for motels when you're on leisure travel. Nice.
Probably Manhattan, KS. Maybe Salina, where there's a Homewood Suites and a Hilton Garden Inn. Bougie :) The wife and I stayed two nights at the Pony Express Motel in Jackson, WY back in the fall of 2020 while driving across the country from OR to NH. The Hilton properties in town were sold out. Classic 60's motel style for like $150. It was a lot of fun in a quaint sort of way. If my work had suggested we stay there while on the road though, it'd be a Hell No. Can't set that precedent.

The hotel points are the main reason my wife puts up with the 14 0n/ 14 off schedule. She has become a bit of a hotel snob. We rarely pay for a hotel for vacations, and we take a lot of them. I also have a couple of timeshares. An every other year on Maui, and an every year in the Austrian Alps in St. Johann im Pongau outside Salzburg. Neither are fancy, but both are good traders for North American ski country places the years I don't use them directly.

BodeMiller1

Walked i89 from montpiler toward stowe. No traffic, four span curved bridges.

Attachments

• IMG_20240520_193501.jpeg
    IMG_20240520_193501.jpeg
    568.4 KB · Views: 15