• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How about something different

cdskier

Normally by this time of year I'm getting pretty pumped for ski season, although this year there's just so much uncertainty that I'm just having a hard time getting myself into it.

Anyway, I did finally get away for a nice vacation last week up in the Finger Lakes area of NY. I did some hiking through a couple state parks (including in the rain one day). I also visited a bunch of wineries (where the commitment to doing things safely was quite impressive). I will say this though...when I was hiking it once again it amazed me how much of a challenge people have following rules. At both the state parks I was at they have designated a number of the trails "One Way" with numerous signs clearly indicating this. Yet somehow there were quite a few people (many seemed to be young college aged kids) that were going the opposite way you're supposed to. If we want to make it through ski season, we really need people to follow the social-distancing rules.

Anyway...here's a few photos if this works.
303c007c-ec70-409f-9d93-7590d55d5e3f_rw_1920.jpg

799b9a5b-6ea3-4c5d-bac9-7be22fffb806_rw_1920.jpg

f46a09d3-b3be-473e-8121-f99cee535f0c_rw_1920.jpg

1aec3c2c-f33c-416d-be87-efce391d8874_rw_1920.jpg

ab81a346-f5b2-499d-bbc8-6075187a8f52_rw_1920.jpg

mbedle

I was actually down in Shenandoah last week and had a great time hiking with some incredible views. Most people were considerate with wearing masks. We stayed to ourselves almost all of the time. The one thing that I found really disturbing is the number of dog poop bags that people just throw into trees on the side of the trails. And to top it off, on one of the trails, someone threw their baby's dirty diaper on the ground. I've noticed the dog poop bags at my local hiking place. Drive me nuts...

urungus

I was actually down in Shenandoah last week and had a great time hiking with some incredible views. Most people were considerate with wearing masks. We stayed to ourselves almost all of the time. The one thing that I found really disturbing is the number of dog poop bags that people just throw into trees on the side of the trails. And to top it off, on one of the trails, someone threw their baby's dirty diaper on the ground. I've noticed the dog poop bags at my local hiking place. Drive me nuts...

SMH ... why would someone go to the trouble of collecting dog poop in a bag, only to toss the bag to the side of the trail ? What is wrong with people ?

cdskier

SMH ... why would someone go to the trouble of collecting dog poop in a bag, only to toss the bag to the side of the trail ? What is wrong with people ?

Agreed. That legitimately makes no sense. Didn't see any of that in the Finger Lakes, but the trails I was on in the gorges mostly don't allow dogs at all.

Smellytele

When on a day hike (or a skinning run) with the dog I sometimes bag it and put it behind a tree to grab it on the way back down.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

mbedle

When on a day hike (or a skinning run) with the dog I sometimes bag it and put it behind a tree to grab it on the way back down.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Okay, that might explain some of it, but I've seen bags hanging in trees that have been there for weeks.

cdskier

Wow - you have some great photos! Certainly gets me excited for ski season - no matter what the season will look like!

Thanks! I do enjoy looking back through my skiing photos from time to time to help get excited for the season. I hadn't done that in a while up until now.

dlague

Agreed. That legitimately makes no sense. Didn't see any of that in the Finger Lakes, but the trails I was on in the gorges mostly don't allow dogs at all.

This is a thing in Colorado! Many locals hate it and I agree! I think people think the dates are for the forest rangers to pick up. It is messed up for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk