• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How do you keep your feet dry and warm?

abovetreeline

I dont know what the solution is for those could feet, but from the people who have had hottronics how long do they last for?

Hawkshot99

I dont know what the solution is for those could feet, but from the people who have had hottronics how long do they last for?

Depends on what you set them to. If you turn them to "4" a couple of hours, but you will burn your feet. At 1 or 2 they will last all day. The proper feeling is not warm feet, but just a lack of cold.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

Skimaine

Depends on what you set them to. If you turn them to "4" a couple of hours, but you will burn your feet. At 1 or 2 they will last all day. The proper feeling is not warm feet, but just a lack of cold.

The Hawk is dead right. I generally run them on 2 and they last the entire day.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Yup, run the Hotronics on 2 and they last the whole day. Feet don't feel cold or hot, just comfortable all day. Unless it's 40 degrees and above, I religiously use my Hotronics everyday out. Love em

darent

my wife has hotronics, sets them at 2 and goes all day,solved her cold feet problems. their was a interesting post at epic ski about rebuilding your hotronic batteries for cheap.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Why are the hottronics so expensive?

My wife got new Fischer Vacuum Boots (awesome job Suburban Ski & Bike in CT) - and her feet were uber comfortable she says, but her toes got cold. I wonder if the hottronics would interfere with the custom molding and footbed of the Vacuum boots.

Hawkshot99

My wife got new Fischer Vacuum Boots (awesome job Suburban Ski & Bike in CT) - and her feet were uber comfortable she says, but her toes got cold. I wonder if the hottronics would interfere with the custom molding and footbed of the Vacuum boots.

the hotronics heaters are warm, but not hot enough to affect the fifth of custom footbeds and boots.

darent

nick the heat plates are imbeded in the footbeds for a smooth tranistion, they only require a small hole in the bottom heel section for the wire to go out and up the back outside of the liner, my wife put wire extensions on hers and wears her battery packs on her belt,small of back under her coat, runs wire down legs of ski pant, she didn't like the batteries hanging off her boots, plus side, batteries stay warmer and last longer.

Mpdsnowman

Now I have snowboard boots but the issues are pretty much the same. I use wool socks and do keep extra pairs because nothing gets you back to comfort like a new pair after ones get wet. But the big issue has always been the wetness inside the boot when I am done. It usually is still wet the following morning. I also see this with the trips I put on. Everyone has this issue really be it ski or board boots when your active your going to sweat and the boots will get wet. And the worse thing you can do is put your dry feet in a wet boot just before you go on the slope particularly when it is freezing cause then your gonna get sick lol.

But I found something and I love this thing and I recommend it highly

208114770.jpg

The original peet boot dryer...

This bad boy is awesome! It works on convectional heat. You just plug it in and a small heater core heats up and draws the warm air thru the tubes and into the boots...or gloves....It doesnt matter what you put on these even socks but they will be totally dry in an hour...

They are cheap too...Nothing you cant afford. I bought a few of them and bring them with me on trips so when people have these wet issues they dont have them much longer lol...

abovetreeline

Now I have snowboard boots but the issues are pretty much the same. I use wool socks and do keep extra pairs because nothing gets you back to comfort like a new pair after ones get wet. But the big issue has always been the wetness inside the boot when I am done. It usually is still wet the following morning. I also see this with the trips I put on. Everyone has this issue really be it ski or board boots when your active your going to sweat and the boots will get wet. And the worse thing you can do is put your dry feet in a wet boot just before you go on the slope particularly when it is freezing cause then your gonna get sick lol.

But I found something and I love this thing and I recommend it highly

208114770.jpg

The original peet boot dryer...

This bad boy is awesome! It works on convectional heat. You just plug it in and a small heater core heats up and draws the warm air thru the tubes and into the boots...or gloves....It doesnt matter what you put on these even socks but they will be totally dry in an hour...

They are cheap too...Nothing you cant afford. I bought a few of them and bring them with me on trips so when people have these wet issues they dont have them much longer lol...

looks like a good investment, thanks for the idea

joydavid

You can wear good socks over your feet to ensure that they stay warm while you are hiking. Wool socks are popular for hiking because they wick moisture better than cotton, and they will keep your feet warm without overheating them if the weather gets hot.

Last edited:

darent

ski essentials sells boot gloves in the normal 2.5mm neoprene and the 5mm neoprene

drjeff

ski essentials sells boot gloves in the normal 2.5mm neoprene and the 5mm neoprene

My personal experience with boot gloves is the following: They ultimately won't prevent your feet from getting cold, BUT it will take longer for them to get cold! You HAVE to put them on a warm boot with warm feet! Boot gloves work a bit like a thermos! If you put something cold in them, they'll stay cold! If you put something warm in them, they will cool off over time!

Basically I use my boot gloves on COLD days (say single digit or lower air temps before any windchill) and if without my boot gloves I could stay out for say 2hrs/6 runs before needing to come in and warm up, with the boot gloves I can stay out for say 3hrs and 9 runs before needing to warm up!

Also, FYI, if you get bootgloves, to extend their life, only put them on and take them off on the snow! If you wear them across pavement/door grates/hard + abrassive surfaces you'll shred the strap that goes across the boot sole near the toe of your boot :eek:

darent

good points drjeff,you can take hand warmers and put them under your boot gloves to extend the warmth of your pre warmed boots for those cold days