• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How far would you drive solo to ski/board?

dlague

I have plenty of options within 3 hours, so that's usually it. I might drive 4 if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Likewise many great options with in 2.5 hours (Jay peak 2.25 h, Stowe 2.5 h, Killington 1.75 h etc.). However, longest solo drive was to Killington a couple of years ago but I would go further but have not tested what the limit is nor do I really need to.

machski

Never really thought about it tilI brokemy ankle Valentine's day 2014. My drive to SR is 2:20 and it just so happened my SO was following me up in the afternoon anyway that day along with 2 other friends. Which was all good so I could get my car (6 speed manual) home. Now I give it a thought, but that is all. I am a bit more cautious though when I go solo

j law

Never considered my wife on a powder day... I've driven to Jay from NYC 3 times solo and regularly do Magic or Killington as a day trip

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

4aprice

I will drive the 5-5 1/2 hours it takes me to drive from here to Plymouth, NH to meet up with the boy and do some skiing. Not a round trip as I do make it a 2 day thing. Leave at 4 am to Plymouth by 9-9:30. Now that its spring I don't care about getting on the mountain early so 10 - 10:30 is fine with me.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

frapcap

Solo skier/driver here, all the time!
4.5-5 hours each way to Sugarbush during a storm is my record.

However, after one particularly scary trip, she did convince me to get a safer vehicle. I was rocking a beat-ass, rusty, penny pinching mechanics special 1991 Toyota Corolla with one snow tire because I was too cheap to get into a newer car. After a close call and realizing that I was responsible for my other two sleeping friends in my tin can of transportation I made the call and purchased something with airbags.

Smellytele

I have driven solo 5 hours to Sugarloaf on a day trip - once when I was in my early 20's. I have also skied solo at Attitash once. All my friends had left the ski house on Sunday morning but I decided to head to Attitash and almost lost my keys. I wiped out and they fell out of my pocket. I got up and skied a few turns before I realized. I was panicing when someone else wiped up and yelled "what the hell did I land on?". He proceeded to get up holding my keys.

Hawkshot99

Not something I ever really think about.

I do some ski racing, and my parents have attended 1 race in my "career". It was my first race, and a skier-x race. Lucky me, I tore my ACL and severly banged up my legs very badly. I needed my dad to help me get my boots off, and thankfully they could drive me home....
They haven't been to another race since....

ScottySkis

I used to due 4 hours from Bronx to k every weekend when I had a pass 12+ years ago. I was young now anything over 3 hours is bit much thank fully j meet some great friend s from here who don't mind driving their good sniwyt cars and me.

JDMRoma

I broke my Fibula on my right leg a few years ago.......hate to admit it was a BrettonWoods:blink:
Wouldn't go for the ride of shame and skied down to the lodge. whole time I was getting changed I could hear my wifes voice in my head......"Becareful I don't want have to come get you" So I drove myself home and went to the ER after !
No way I wanted to listen to the I told you so's for 2 hours and sucked it up !
Shit happens.....

xwhaler

Generally like to keep solo drives ~2 hrs each way or less but will drive further for either awesome conditions or to ski with friends.
If I have someone in the car with me I'm willing to drive further on an up and back day trip.

bigbog

I drive....have always driven. Think Boston suburbs to Sugarloaf was the longest.... Used to do Killington once or twice a season from Boston area.
If you're ever earnest about getting pow dumps...keep the skis tuned as well as the vehicle tuned & filled. Planning hardly ever gets you an untracked morning. Only thing I've ever really planned is a) my tibia/ankle/foot alignment checkup and b) company work and its call-in sick #.

Last edited:

Scruffy

I've been known to do 4 hours, each way, solo, for a day trip. It's a bitch doing it as a day trip. Luckily, I have skiing options much, much closer for day trips. I don't do the 8 hour driving day trips much anymore. Now, if it's 3 hours one way, I'm staying the night.

As an independent sort, I don't like to think about needing help to get home, but if the need arises, my SO would do the drive, and not complain, I'm lucky in that regard.

rocks860

Sugarbush from ct is the furthest I've gone for a day trip but plattekill was pretty close to that. I'm thinking about doing sugarbush next weekend (the 28th) for a day trip

catsup948

Furtherest I'll drive solo is 2.5 hours. My wife has gotten better on car trips but she usually turns into a caged wildcat after about an hour in the car. I like to let her and the kids sleep if I can factor that into the trip.

chuckstah

The longest I have driven solo is from Las Vegas to Eagle Point in Utah, about 240 miles and 3 1/2-4 hours. My drunk ass friends would not get out of bed to go so I said f it and went solo. Long trip after a night in Vegas. Rewarded with day old powder. It lasts a long time there with low traffic.

Cornhead

Left the house at midnight in order to arrive at Saddleback at opening, 9 hr drive. I feared falling asleep in the hot tub that night. The furthest I've day tripped is probably Stowe, 315 miles one way. Like driving halfway to Florida, and skiing for 8 hrs, thank you Mountain Dew, the preferred drink of third shifters.

As far as worrying about break downs, just once. I had a bolt on an eccentric pulley on the timing belt loosen. The pulley was rubbing on the engine block prior to a ski trip. It made a squeaking sound, metal on metal. I fixed the pulley and went on a ski trip. I was on my way to Jay, close to 400 miles from home, when what did I hear? Squeak, squeak, oh no, the pulley was rubbing again, or so I thought, until I put my hand on my dashboard, and the squeaking stopped. It was just the dash squeaking, sounded just like the pulley rubbing. I was relieved, I would've been worried about the ride home the whole time I was skiing if I hadn't discovered it was just a squeaky dash.

chuckstah

Las Vegas ski and snowboard resort. An hour away. Having been there several times, and only having skied Brianhead in Utah at the time (another Vegas road trip) I was hellbent on hitting Eagle Point. Looking back it was barely worth it, but its another ski area under my belt. On the other hand, any time you are in Vegas during ski season Las Vegas Ski and Snowboard resort is well worth the trip if there's natural. Good sidecountry, and hiking terrain when there is snow.

snowmonster

When I still lived in Boston, I routinely daytripped the 3.5 hour drive from Brighton to Sunday River every weekend. Longest daytrip I routinely did was to Jay Peak and Sugarloaf. They are equidistant from my doorstep at 5 hours one way. Longest I'm willing to daytrip solo? Jay and the Loaf are probably at the far end. But, perhaps, I'll push it out another hour and get to Mont Sutton, Owl's Head or Orford in the Eastern Townships.