• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How is Gore?

bman1

Never went skiing at Gore before. How does the mountain compare overall in quality to killington/Mnt Snow etc? I've skiid Sugarbush and Stowe this month and want to try something a little closer to NYC. I'm advanced and my Girlfriend is a lower intermediate. I don't care if the town lacks the resort quality of Killington. But is the skiing good enough, or should I just continue driving to Killington? Possibly going this weekend.

Thanks!

Warp Daddy

Go to Gore u will not be disappointed, 4 mtns , 9 sides , glades up the wazoo good lifts bring an unopened can of coke on wednesday and ski for $42 , need any more ?

ScottySkis

Much better then MT snow for expert runs. High peaks chair has some of steeps much steeper then any resort in south Vermont. Great mountain it is.

Cornhead

Go to Gore u will not be disappointed, 4 mtns , 9 sides , glades up the wazoo good lifts bring an unopened can of coke on wednesday and ski for $42 , need any more ?
I think it's an empty can, isn't it? That's what I brought last time I did the deal. It was a two liter bottle that came with my pizza, barely fit through the hole in the window.

BenedictGomez

Went there for the first time ever last month under sub-optimal conditions. Still had fun and could see it's a nice mountain. Not too crazy about the wacky ski-pod area/lift terrain (never seen that before), but I can see how it would be useful if you wanted to hit the same trail(s) over and over. Base area is low frills with few options, and the area has virtually zero entertainment. I liked it though, and will definitely be throwing this place into the rotation for Gore/Whiteface combo trips from now on.

x10003q

Never went skiing at Gore before. How does the mountain compare overall in quality to killington/Mnt Snow etc? I've skiid Sugarbush and Stowe this month and want to try something a little closer to NYC. I'm advanced and my Girlfriend is a lower intermediate. I don't care if the town lacks the resort quality of Killington. But is the skiing good enough, or should I just continue driving to Killington? Possibly going this weekend.

Thanks!
Gore is less crowded than Killington or Mt Snow.There is a great variety of terrain, 3 HS lifts, and you will ski on to all lifts other than the gondola, which might max out at 10 minutes on a crowded day. There is a lot of low intermediate terrain that your girlfriend will love (try the North Quad with her). The trails are less crowded than you will be used to. There are some fun expert runs at the top and the whole mountain is loaded with on the map tree skiing off every lift. Gore is pretty spead out and there are some flat traverses between the different "pods" that can be annoying. There is only one spot up on the mountain for restrooms and food - The Saddle Lodge. It is sort of in the middle of the place.

There is less parking capacity than than the mountain can handle which fills up the lots quickly on holidays. Try to get there before 8am. There is usually parking all the way at the bottom in the Ski Bowl if this is a problem.

There are a handful of decent restaurants in North Creek and surrounding towns. There is not much of a party scene.

The other key to Gore is the ease of the drive. From exit 20 on the Northway (I-87) where you would get off for Killington, Gore is an easy 30 miles and about 40 minutes.

I have lived in NYC or north NJ my whole life and Gore is the shortest, easiest drive time for major mountain skiing. I was sick of driving to Killington/Mt Snow/Stratton which led me to Gore. Depending on when you leave and traffic volume you can easily get to North Creek in less than 3 hours from the I-287/I-87/Rt 17 intersection.

bman1

Gore is less crowded than Killington or Mt Snow.There is a great variety of terrain, 3 HS lifts, and you will ski on to all lifts other than the gondola, which might max out at 10 minutes on a crowded day. There is a lot of low intermediate terrain that your girlfriend will love (try the North Quad with her). The trails are less crowded than you will be used to. There are some fun expert runs at the top and the whole mountain is loaded with on the map tree skiing off every lift. Gore is pretty spead out and there are some flat traverses between the different "pods" that can be annoying. There is only one spot up on the mountain for restrooms and food - The Saddle Lodge. It is sort of in the middle of the place.

There is less parking capacity than than the mountain can handle which fills up the lots quickly on holidays. Try to get there before 8am. There is usually parking all the way at the bottom in the Ski Bowl if this is a problem.

There are a handful of decent restaurants in North Creek and surrounding towns. There is not much of a party scene.

The other key to Gore is the ease of the drive. From exit 20 on the Northway (I-87) where you would get off for Killington, Gore is an easy 30 miles and about 40 minutes.

I have lived in NYC or north NJ my whole life and Gore is the shortest, easiest drive time for major mountain skiing. I was sick of driving to Killington/Mt Snow/Stratton which led me to Gore. Depending on when you leave and traffic volume you can easily get to North Creek in less than 3 hours from the I-287/I-87/Rt 17 intersection.

Great! Thanks for all the advice. Gore it is!

vinnyv11

I got invited for a trip there in a couple of weeks but wasn't sure if gore would hold my interest enough but what you guys are saying is making me consider it

ScottySkis

I got invited for a trip there in a couple of weeks but wasn't sure if gore would hold my interest enough but what you guys are saying is making me consider it

It is an awesome hill go you will have fun. Lots of marked glades, steeps and never to crowded.