• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

how long is too long?

SkiDog

Not scary until you go there, loved that place. The only issue is that if you stop in, you may as well just have your paycheck deposited there every week :) Seriously, good folks there, no show room to speak of, so if you order anything, you have to do it on line and then just go down and pick it up. Also, don't forget, they are also Steepandcheap :)

I know the drill and i've been there already...

Dropped of skis at Black Daimond already too...thats close as well..

M

mishka

I find on Internet a person from Colorado who have identical skis in 165 and looking for 178...:smash:

question: how we would make an exchange to assure each other we both receive our part of trade? I intend to carry on this trade, the other side sems like too, but ....we do not know each other, no trail record of transaction will be created, no mediator to resolve situation.
Any suggestions how to do it with min. out of pocket expense, escrow.com charges $25 per side?

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
out there, they are blessed to be skiing 90% powder/10% hardpack with 10000 foot vert....and don;t need to slalom around slow skiers on crowded slopes

usually in the east coast, it;s the other way around.....

so out there, i think my everyday ski would be some sort of 110mm-130mm waist like the K2 Pontoon!

:D..methinks you need to put down the brochures and spend time out there to realize your scenerio/description is pure fantasy regarding both the east and the rockies.

SkiDog

I find on Internet a person from Colorado who have identical skis in 165 and looking for 178...:smash:

question: how we would make an exchange to assure each other we both receive our part of trade? I intend to carry on this trade, the other side sems like too, but ....we do not know each other, no trail record of transaction will be created, no mediator to resolve situation.
Any suggestions how to do it with min. out of pocket expense, escrow.com charges $25 per side?

I think in a situation like this you must use some TRUST. I recently had a purchase of skis made through this board in particular. This seller actually sent me the skis BEFORE i paid, and he picked up the shipping. I looked them over and sent out a check same day I received them.
Your results may vary, but since it seems you may have met this individual through a ski forum type situation I think you can feel safe that you're not dealing with someone looking to "steal" from you. You have like interests.

M

SkiDog

:D..methinks you need to put down the brochures and spend time out there to realize your scenerio/description is pure fantasy regarding both the east and the rockies.

Yeah those Pontoons would be a WASTE on what I skied at alta this past weekend...mostly dust on crust and the reverse camber on those would make that type of snow no fun to ski on...I'd say for an everyday ski anything over 90underfoot should be fine. I will go slightly bigger with maybe a 98-110, but right now I think my 90mm GUNS are fine....

M

tekweezle

in that case, I think I;d do my best to avoid the dust on crust/hard pack. i read in various trip reports that Alta has 12 inches of new snow so I;d point my skis in that direction. preferably at some ungroomed bowl....

SkiDog

in that case, I think I;d do my best to avoid the dust on crust/hard pack. i read in various trip reports that Alta has 12 inches of new snow so I;d point my skis in that direction. preferably at some ungroomed bowl....

Good luck...and seeing as Altas last day was yesterday...get the skins ready. I figure they got about 7-10 yesterday and last night...but its closed so...

The "dust on crust" was unavoidable. most of the runouts are all chopped up...gets warm during the day and cold at night so freeze is inevitable. Grab the pontoons and i'll meet ya up there... ;-)

M

SkiDog

Besides...you want a lot more than 12" on top of crust/death cookies for those pontoons to be very useful..

M

tekweezle

yeah, I wish I could be there....

anyhoo, the point I was trying to make to the thread originator was that the 178 mm skis are probably not too unwieldy for him and could be useful in different conditions. besides, he;s already got 2 other pairs of skis in the 160;s so why not try something a little taller.

ckofer

Website
www.skicheapordie.com
Numbers are overrated.

Just ski 'em. If you're not sure, just wait till you get on some nice groom.

This winter I stopped in to a ski rental place (Great American Ski Rental? - N Conway). I asked if they had any Metrons my 14 yr old could rent (powder day at Wildcat!!).

"Oh that would be too much ski for him."

So we left. I have my Metron 11's (162) and thought he might like the M10's in a 150 or so. A few weeks later a found a pair of exactly that, barely used, at Outspoken by Mt Sunapee with nice bindings. $350 seemed decent.

A few trips later into using them his comment: it seems that I can everything better on these.

My point: don't worry about it too much. Just get out there and drive 'em. You should see the crap we commanded throught the snow in the 70's!

mishka

Numbers are overrated.

Just ski 'em. If you're not sure, just wait till you get on some nice groom.... My point: don't worry about it too much. Just get out there and drive 'em. You should see the crap we commanded throught the snow in the 70's!

will do exactly that. maybe positioning binding couple cm forward
thank you all.

Terry

I have got an older pair of Solomon xscreams in 178 that still ski real nice. I skied on them a fair amount last season!