• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How many times did you fall this year?

Edd

I don't fall too often, most of mine this year was due to DIN being too low... but I had a doozy this year...

Windhold cold day at SR. After a thaw/freeze so trails was closing. We wanted to get from Barker to No Peak for lunch/beers with a couple of key lifts closed. So climbed up to top of Barker and found 3 Mile Trail closed. Damn. How bad can that be? There was a 1-2" layer of snow from night before. So cruise under rope...decent clip to turn around first sharp corner - only to see a massive rock garden of grapefruit and apple sized ricks. Fuuuuuukkkkkkkk..... held it together enough to get around corner and complete superman onto all those rocks. My nice arcyterx shell ripped down front, all 4 limbs had huge bruises, my ribs got bruised, my outstretched hand holding pole was completely bruised and uselesss for a week or two. My skis were ruined - husband used entire stick of ptex to fill in, but edges were pulled away so had to toss.

Wow, that one is a shitshow. I used to fall more often but I’m getting older and cautious. I’ve had several this year but the two notables were:

-a binding ripping out of one ski on a 2 ft pow day halfway down a bump run. Do not recommend; really screws with a perfectly good pow day.

-Wildcat at the very bottom of The Chute. It was either a water bar or a bump that I misjudged as I was building speed for a bit of uphill just past the Bobcat lodge. Double eject with a face plant. Goggles saved my face. I thought I was ok but my torso was sore everywhere for a week. Felt like I got the shit kicked out of me.

MG Skier

OK, I'll chime in too...

I never used to fall until I started to ski much better and push my abilities. So I think I am up to 6. 3 times in the same glade at Jay in February (Sprained finger!), 2 or 3 times in Deep Pow at Magic this March. One of those was in a glade and I ended up in crater, a fluffy one! I just laugh at myself, dust off and get after it again.....

Glenn

I've been catching outside edges on the back of my skis on some of the steeper sections this season. Had a few pretty interesting looking saves.

SkiFanE

Wow, that one is a shitshow. I used to fall more often but I’m getting older and cautious. I’ve had several this year but the two notables were:

-a binding ripping out of one ski on a 2 ft pow day halfway down a bump run. Do not recommend; really screws with a perfectly good pow day.

-Wildcat at the very bottom of The Chute. It was either a water bar or a bump that I misjudged as I was building speed for a bit of uphill just past the Bobcat lodge. Double eject with a face plant. Goggles saved my face. I thought I was ok but my torso was sore everywhere for a week. Felt like I got the shit kicked out of me.

i had one of those waterbar double ejects - going fast on cruiser and there was a snow gun leaking water...so hit that going full speed and skiis just stopped - total surprise lol. And like you - don't really know how bad it is until later. Recent fall my ribs and shoulder didn't start hurting til next day, and then bruised all over.. Worst part is I finally got back up, damn I really need a stiff cocktail now - and lodge and bar were so busy from wind hold I didn't get one.

skiMEbike

I don't fall too often, most of mine this year was due to DIN being too low... but I had a doozy this year...

Windhold cold day at SR. After a thaw/freeze so trails was closing. We wanted to get from Barker to No Peak for lunch/beers with a couple of key lifts closed. So climbed up to top of Barker and found 3 Mile Trail closed. Damn. How bad can that be? There was a 1-2" layer of snow from night before. So cruise under rope...decent clip to turn around first sharp corner - only to see a massive rock garden of grapefruit and apple sized ricks. Fuuuuuukkkkkkkk..... held it together enough to get around corner and complete superman onto all those rocks. My nice arcyterx shell ripped down front, all 4 limbs had huge bruises, my ribs got bruised, my outstretched hand holding pole was completely bruised and uselesss for a week or two. My skis were ruined - husband used entire stick of ptex to fill in, but edges were pulled away so had to toss. He was behind me and was able to avoid me and he just got a few core shots. Then using my daughters skiis, didn't want to mess her Din (3/4, I'm usually 7/8) I had a nice fall from just popping out of them. My new skiis were set to 5 Din and failed me last weekend so have to up them again. Hopefully I am good for rest of year.

Quite the adventure....I am more interested in finding out if you tried to get your arcteryx jacket repaired or covered under warranty. I had a similar situation in a glade where my jacket got caught up on a tree & ripped it, but never felt like I could try to get it warrantied or repaired. Loved that shell.

eatskisleep

Plenty at Jackson Hole. A few times on the tele skis too. If you never fall you aren’t pushing yourself.

tnt1234

Jumped off the first waterfall on Paradise at MRG, thought I was good, suddenly sometime went awry and I ended up facing the mountain, skis downhill in a reverse snow plow, skidding for 10 feet till I toppled over.

At Okemo, looking for soft snow on teh edges, on a pretty frozen day....caught an edge on something, ended up cruising out int he icy middle of the trail, on one ski, other had ejected, after swerving left and right, trying to keep my balance, came down on teh ice hard enough to leave huge road rash on my hip and knee. that one hurt an awful lot. First fall in years that I had to just lay there for a minute before getting up.

i fell plenty more times than those two this season, but those are the ones I remember.

Hawk

I haven't really had a bad wipe out this year but I have fallen a bit here and there. Everybody does. Typically it's a blown off ski when I hit something in the woods or on challenging conditions or fell over in deep powder when coming to a stop. It is inevitable if you ski hard. I don't think some on here are being entirely forth coming. ;-)

SkiFanE

Quite the adventure....I am more interested in finding out if you tried to get your arcteryx jacket repaired or covered under warranty. I had a similar situation in a glade where my jacket got caught up on a tree & ripped it, but never felt like I could try to get it warrantied or repaired. Loved that shell.

There was a dugout in my pocket - so that caused it to rip (and add a nice bruise to core lol). So I was able to duct tape from inside my pocket so it's fixed up okay. I bought this shell with 5 days of use on it for $80 a few years ago, so not worth the hassle. BUT - I have to say - I'm getting same brand for next year if I can find a cheap one this summer. I spend lots of time in woods and this is the first coat that hasn't ripped on me, pricey but I have to say worth it. Plus it's starting to fade a little bit and tired of seeing myself in pics with the damned thing lol.

Wicked1

Guess I'm gonna have to step it up a bit and start falling more.
At least you folks haven't roasted me for starting this thread, yet.

SkiFanE

IMG_4194.jpg Here's a funny story. One Sunday husband is in Hardball woods at SR - fresh snow. He hits hidden stick under snow and launches onto stump with hip and thigh. Biggest bruise ever - he hurt. So next Friday I have day off work to ski solo. In Yetiville woods at SR and do similar and see a stump I can't avoid with my chest. Fuiuuuuuuuckkkkkk...know what is coming and wait for it and POOF - the stump just crumbles and I felt nothing. I had to take a pic to rub into husband - if he could only crush stumps like me lol. Sorry for double pic - not sure what I did wrong!

Last edited:

Hawk

Wow. I think you should wear hockey equipment when you ski. Man that some carnage. You remind me of a girl I know at Sunday River named Trina.

gmcunni

i tell my kids if they aren't falling they aren't trying hard enough.

that said, i have not fallen this year. ergo i'm not trying hard enough - which is probably true

i do recall losing my balance a few times but recovered.

speden

I usually don't fall much, but I pushed myself this year to ski more moguls and glades, and that resulted in a couple of falls.

The first one was on the Inferno Glades at Bretton Woods. I'd never done it before and it was pretty mellow, until I came to a steep narrow section, and there was a big group of about 8 pre-teen girls struggling to side slip down it. When they saw me appear at the top of this, they stopped their descent and nicely stood along the sides of this icy chute to let me go by. Foolishly I decided to go ahead. The section was barely wide enough for my skis if it were empty, so with people standing along it I couldn't turn my skis enough to control my speed. I got going too fast and I turned into the side of the trail to slow down and my skis went up the bank and I went down. I was a soft crash, but my ego was hurt. :)

Second one was at Cannon on Upper Hardscrabble. It was the first time I'd tried it and I was following behind someone who knew what they were doing. Started out great and I didn't realize how fast we were going until the trail suddenly started to turn hard right and the gentle moguls turned into tall, icy moguls. I hit a bump hard and sideways, trying to scrub off speed, but it only threw me off balance and I couldn't recover. Went down pretty hard and sprained my wrist and thumb, but my skis didn't come off. That crash replayed in my dreams for the next few nights and I kept thinking if I'd gone off the trail into the trees there it could have been nasty.

Had a few other low speed skid outs where it was icy or I was tired, but those were minor.

kingslug

Well..one of the worst ever was Hunter..Clairs. caught an edge and went down..fast. pole punches me in the chest and knocks me half out. Rag dolled for hundreds of feet. Cant breath. Look up and ski patrolers are looking down at me. One says..shit ..though you were dead for sure.
Sux as i had to leave i was so bamged up and Glen Plake was there taking his psia level 3 exam...and i wanted to meet him..his wife is..a real looker!! Glen Plake..at Hunter..very cool..

Jully

Maybe 5 or 6 "falls," mostly out west and mostly hitting crap in the woods, but I don't keep track at all. Definitely agreed that (especially on a powder day) if you're not falling you're not skiing hard enough! Moreover, if you're skiing powder in the woods and you don't fall at all, I have no idea how because I'm hitting stumps, branches, and snow snakes multiple times a year that are unavoidable because you can't see them 75% of the time.

Most memorable one was skiing Brighton on a powder day with some friends in the woods towards the bottom of a steep pitch before a cat track which dropped off into more woods. Hit a stump or something where my skis stayed put and I got launched over the cat track down the next pitch. Hilarious looking for everyone looking on. Thinking back on it, it could have gone really badly if I hit a tree or something on the other side of the cat track, I got lucky with just a soft powder landing (on my face).

Euler

Lots, all at low speed in bumps or trees trying to get better at that kind of terrain.

Once, being foolish trying to jump over a five foot ledge in Blind Ambition trees at Sunday River. That one hurt for days.