• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How ski shape affects bumps/moguls

1dog

Compared to the 80's when I started skiing, bumps are not as large, troughs not as deep, most skis are now designed to turn, while the old 'skinny-straights' were designed to ski a straight line over tops and use mainly the body/knees as absorption. Boarders have their affect of course, but they are less-seen on my trips to mogul fields than in past years. Its the waist - 95-110 cm that seems to keep fields less well, bumped up. Less mogul skiers too from my 25-30 days a year experience both east and west. Input/thoughts?

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Agree, also they were closer together as I recall . One of my favorite things to do when I was in my 20's was to launch of one mogul and clear two troughs and land the downside of the third. I haven't come across that spacing set up in a ling long time. Although I'm 40lbs heavier LOL

kingslug

Some places have a lot of moguls, just not perfect mogul fields like the old days. Between fat skis and snowboards they have changed. Chinclip at Stowe is a good, pretty consistent mogul field. Hunter used to set up a B mogul course and that was pretty hard to do right. Now they are just random. I seek them out all the time wherever I go. Powder ones with fat skis are best..you can zip through them.

bizarrefaith

Maybe this is just perception but I feel like when I was young (80s/90s), if there were moguls they were mostly seeded but now you almost never see seeded moguls and they are all the product of ungroomed trails -- and as a result they are more random.

As far as fewer mogul skiers, I would guess the opening up of the woods drained off a fair number of people who would previously have been using bumped trails. Not like woods skiing is a new invention but you don't risk getting your ticket/pass yanked for going off trail like you might have in the 80s or 90s.

Reactions: Edd

kingslug

I tend to find a lot of people having a hard time in these fields..if they are easy to get to. The hidden ones where the locals and those that know go..they are just ripping them.
MRG has some of the best rippers.

1dog

Maybe this is just perception but I feel like when I was young (80s/90s), if there were moguls they were mostly seeded but now you almost never see seeded moguls and they are all the product of ungroomed trails -- and as a result they are more random.

As far as fewer mogul skiers, I would guess the opening up of the woods drained off a fair number of people who would previously have been using bumped trails. Not like woods skiing is a new invention but you don't risk getting your ticket/pass yanked for going off trail like you might have in the 80s or 90s.
That actually makes a whole lotta sense. I ski woods/trees at least 50-70% more than in the days where a pass could be yanked. Before that - I was always drawn to moguls/bumps. Far more exercise than cruising corduroy. Warmer too.

And now that. I think about it, the old Killington days of Bear with wet man-made snow helped bumps form in a firmer way. Now, drier man-made is less likely to bump up as quickly.

1dog

I tend to find a lot of people having a hard time in these fields..if they are easy to get to. The hidden ones where the locals and those that know go..they are just ripping them.
MRG has some of the best rippers.
and no boarders to shave 'em down.

kingslug

Its impressive watching a true bump skier flying over them. I tend to fly through them as I just can't take that kind of knee pounding. Kids are the best to watch..no fear and way closer to them. The run under the single is all bumps and ends in a small cliff..where the parents watch their kids jump off it..and applaud...different world up there. Helps when you start at 2 years old. Makes skiing the trees easier as well.

jimk

Watch how Marcus Caston skis bumps on all mountain 98mm skis underfoot. This short video also shows others doing classic zipperline bumps.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!

Many reasons we don't see seeded bumps anymore. You got one with the trees opening up.

1/2. Places don't want to burn the diesel in the cat (takes a good amount of time to make a seeded bump run and a very skilled operator presumably making decent $$$...not the guy who's in his second year of part-time grooming).
3/4. People can't ski bumps well anymore. So those who enter a seeded bump line while its still developing would damage it. And...people don't ski bumps anymore so who would use it?
5. Competition-level mogul skiing is essentially dead. So you're making a seeded bump line not for any organization/competition program, you're doing it for the 1% of the general public who could actually use it.

Most of these points also overlap into why the Superpipe thing died out 5 years ago(and more recently, boarder/skiercross...not too many of those left anymore).

jaytrem

Watch how Marcus Caston skis bumps on all mountain 98mm skis underfoot. This short video also shows others doing classic zipperline bumps.

Always loved that video! Luckily my kids love bumps as much as I do. Now they're learning to snowboard them too. Seems like there are still decent ones to find out there most days. If not on the trail, can always head to the trees. Luckily nobody has figured out how to groom those yet.

Dickc

Saw an interesting way to make a very good bump line at Loon a few years back. They stuck small red and green "tails" in the ground and let people ski around them. By late day a very nice bump line was formed. At that point they came out with the drill an moved the "tails" over just a bit to form a line next to that line.
By tails, I mean thos little plastic things that look like a frayed nylon rope.

kingslug

Last season I was able to find good moguls at Stowe on Goat and all the front 4. Lookout was really good. Throw in some rocks and you got a good run.