• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter 1/18

trtaylor

Date(s) Skied: Thursday, January 18, 2007

Resort or Ski Area: Hunter Mountain

Conditions: Mostly sunny. Packed powder.

Trip Report: Pulled into the parking lot at 8:45am. After getting our tickets and and getting booted up, we headed for the Express Quad. Snow guns were blasting when we arrived, but with the sun out and moderating temperatures they shut them down mid-morning.

First two runs were down Belt Parkway. Was thinking since it had stayed below freezing that it would be nice. It was ok, but wasn't as nice as I had hoped. Looked like maybe it had been groomed wet at some point, as there were some rough spots. But nothing we couldn't deal with.

Speaking of the express quad, gee whiz, it seemed like the thing stopped on every other trip up. Not really sure what was up with that.

Decide next to hit Hellgate. This turned out to be nice all day, really. Also, Minya was great. It was in great shape and hardly anyone was skiing on it. Did a few runs on Eastside Drive, and it too was in good shape, but Minya seemed more fun. Not sure why. This was only my second day ever skiing at Hunter, though.

Just before lunch made a run down Heuga. We were a little tenative (first time) and it had a few icy spots, but nothing to panic over. I guess I came away with the impression that it would be a blast if it had 4"-6" of natural snow on it.

Took a lunch break and then went back out for more runs down Hellgate and Minya. At lunch we asked some guys next to us about Way Out. They said top half was nice, but bottom half was icy. We decided to skip it for today.

Was sure nice to ski in winter weather. And a great time was had by all.

Last edited:

millerm277

Looks like a good day...

Way Out and Heuga can be the best trails at Hunter, or the worst. All depends on the weather, they get almost no sun, so after a deep freeze or rain, they tend to be terrible.

Minya and ESD are often uncrowded...I find Minya is usually more fun.

inhalexhale

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.huntermtn.com
The Belt was definitely not so hot today. Hellgate was incredible, Minya is always a favorite because it is so strangely narrow and has that one steep wall. Heuga felt a little rough today too, but Drop Off was nice and hilly. Terrain park sucked. So choppy and gross, but definitely enough snow to build some stuff up tomorrow.

I would've loved to hit Way Out but ran out of time...oh well...there's always tomorrow.

SnowMiser

My $.02:

Got out of work at 06:00, so I didn't get onto the lift until almost 11 (courtesy of GSP rush hour traffic, Smokey T. Bear traveling at 70 mph from exit 15 to exit 18 on the Thruway and everyone being afraid to pass, a fuel oil delivery truck doing 15 mph up NY 23 between Palenville and Tannersville, who was promptly replaced by a garbage truck once he finally turned off).

East Side Drive & Minya Konka: Firm & fast, but easy to hold an edge on, Just needed a bit more skier traffic to soften them up a bit (never in a million years did I think I would say that about a trail at Huntah).

Hellgate: Good most of the day, skied off by the end. The mogul field at the turn had been flattened out and was just starting to re-form. Firm but edge-able, only one ice patch (which of course I hit and skidded out onto the main part of the trail like a buffoon)

Eisenhower: Great bumps on the left side (never did ski the right). Too bad my only half-assed run on that trail was my first.

Heuga Express: Upper part very good. Lower shaded flat-out part had enough snowmaking whales to make it interesting. Minimal icy patches. Only problem: the only options afterward were the Lower Cliff (or Dropoff as they call it now) or hike to get to Eisenhower.

Wayout: Upper half was very good – same as ESD & MK. Lower half had some icy patches but enough softer areas to aim for to get your speed under control. Lower Clair’s had even more icy patches unless you hugged the right treeline. Took 2 straight runs and would have taken a third, but by this time my stomach was screaming for food and my legs were screaming for a beer.

Lower Broadway: Upper part starting to bump up enough to give it some character. That terrain park on the lower half is a pain in the arse for us non-boarders, however

Run of the Day – Upper Crossover: It still had a “Closed” sign, but from the lift I saw 2 ski patrollers ski down it followed by about 10 other skiers, so monkey see, monkey do. GREAT man-made packed powder. Neither Mother Nature nor heavy skier traffic had had a chance to screw it up yet. Took at least 6 runs here.

Overall: If you got up on your edges, you had minimal problems. Good recovery from a rainy weekend. Comfortable weather, good conditions, overall a very enjoyable day.

JimG.

Staff member
This past weekend was incredible!

Skiied Fri-Sat-Sun and it just got better and better with each run.

Cliff=Awesome!
Upper & Lower K=Orgasmic!
Upper Xover=Sweet!
Racer's=Amazing!

The past 3 days exorcised alot of demons. Winter is here!!

dmc

Upper & Lower K=Orgasmic!

When it was still a "reserved" trail on Saturday - we were hucking the top of Lower K and landing in the fresh..
We were catching amazing airs.. My buddy cleared at least 1/3 before he landed on one huck..

Greg

Staff member
Nice to see some of that stuff open up. Gotta head over soon...