• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter is making snow - 11/17/20

Cobbold

They pushed to make snow and open for Thanksgiving. Turned out to be a bad investment. Now back to square one.

Maybe in past non-COVID years they would push again to reopen before 12/8. Not happening this season.
People now complaining vail opened hunter for thanksgiving, another post people are complaining that vail didn’t open any in New Hampshire, plus mr Katz didn’t stop by my house this morning with my morning coffee, hard to believe how badly vail is run.

cdskier

Their original allowence is if you cannot reserve a block of dates you waned, with this delayed opening, they are in effect retroactively apply that clause. Otherwise, why would they open up in the middle of the week where the temperature outlook seems to be the warmest, and keeping it open on those weekdays where its mostly locals that would be showing up. Plus, there's chatter about requesting for refunds on other resorts that are changing their opening dates to after the dates people originally reserved for.
I just love all the conspiracy theories. No matter what they do someone will complain. If they make enough snow by the 9th to reopen but instead wait for the weekend, people would be saying "see...Vail sucks...they're saving money by not reopening mid-week even though they made enough snow." On the flip side if they make enough snow by the 9th to reopen and reopen then, others will claim it is a big conspiracy to avoid paying out refunds related to the priority reservation clause (which I don't think applies anyway due to a weather related closure/cancellation of a priority reservation day).

kingslug

I just want to ski somewhere..thats it. I will be happy if they can open..
Also looking into Whiteface as an alternative. They are opening Friday.

Funky_Catskills

Guns are back on - Belt Parkway getting some love.
Nothing on the Northface... Still the janky piles of snow scattered about from the last attempt.

Funky_Catskills

They pushed to make snow and open for Thanksgiving. Turned out to be a bad investment. Now back to square one.

Maybe in past non-COVID years they would push again to reopen before 12/8. Not happening this season.
But season pass holders got a chance to ride for a few days - so it wasn't that bad.
Not really square one.. Still coverage from top to bottom. Just a bit muddy... Won't take much to get back in shape.
I'm staying optimistic. No other choice really..

kingslug

Because..a lot of people don't use the internet to their advantage.. I worked at WTC for 6 years and every day people would come up to me asking..where it is. Uh..your standing here..see that really big building over there..that's Tower 1. Usually they had google maps up on their phone at the time.

Funky_Catskills

OK OK OK.... I get it... You worked at the WTC and have an awesome sense of direction...

I would've personally posted the link to the hunter cams.

cdskier

Thanks! so it's working, just Hunter isn't showing it?

Exactly...although if their website management is done out of Vail Corporate in CO, maybe they don't even realize it is wrong on the site. Or their IT is incompetent. Or it is deliberate for some bizarre reason.

tnt1234

looks like it snowing up there...
We were in the catskills yesterday. Hiked up cathedral glenn at Bell. Flurries and rain at the bottom, snow at the top. maybe an inch...maybe a little more when we were there.

tnt1234

So some things never change.

Here we are monday looking at the chance of a rain/ice even for the up coming weekend....

Anyone know what Hunter is charging for a day pass? If it doesn't rain Saturday, hoping to start the season there.