• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter Mountain - 12/8/2006

Greg

Staff member
Date(s) Skied: Friday, 12/8/2006, 8:55 am - 2:50 pm

Resort or Ski Area: Hunter Mountain, New York

Conditions: Manmade powder, packed powder. Partly cloudy, cold and breezy.

Trip Report: Today was exactly four years to the day that I first skied Hunter. I pulled into the lot around 8:30 and picked up my pass. I was on the quad at 8:55 am. The two top-to-bottom offerings today were HBK (Hellgate --> Broadway --> Kennedy) or Belt Parkway. I took my first run on HBK. Hellgate was a bit chunky but edgeable. Broadway was a pleasure will some snowmaking freshening things up throughout the day. The snowmaking on Kennedy was rough and tended to blind you via goggle ice-up.

As I was getting ready to board the quad again I saw JimG. approach so we rode up together. At the summit we met up with Grassi21, but he said he wanted to do a solo run on Belt to get his legs under him. With the limited terrain, we figured we'd bump into each other again. Did another run on HBK and I felt much better this run. Jim and I did a few more runs on HBK and even one on Belt hoping to see Grassi. We eventually saw him boarding the lift and rode up with him. He wanted to do another run on Belt so we said we'd hook up again later. Unfortunately, we didn't see him again. Plenty of opportunies coming up Chris. Good to meet you though.

At one point near the summit, I heard my name called. Jim said it was dmc and we waited for dmc and fellow rider, Kevin. The four of us hit HBK a number of times in the morning. Very cool to see dmc ride. One helluva snowboarder, as was Kevin. I always have fun trying to keep up with the Hunter crew. Doug and Kevin split at noon and Jim and I headed in for lunch.

Took a leisurely lunch break and Jim and I headed back out for 1 pm. Surprisingly enough, we both had really great runs after lunch. The snow on Hellgate was getting chopped up nicely and some nice small bumps and lines were beginning to form. Skier's left at the steep turn on Hellgate is a great line! Broadway was also getting some nice lines with the snowmaking filling things in nicely. We also took another run on Belt still looking for Grassi. Belt was actually a lot of fun today. We saw that the snow piles had grown quite a bit throughout the day. The first 3 or 4 runs after lunch were awesome and everything was clicking for me. Then it was like I hit the wall and had a pretty bad run. Day 2's tired legs really set in. I told Jim one more for me.

I finished up at close to 3 pm with easily 15+ runs under the belt. No wait today at all. Ski on the quad all day. It was pretty cold today so I didn't bother getting a ton of footage, but I got a few vids of Doug and Jim and I'll put that together tonight or tomorrow. All in all, a really satisfying second day out. Great conditions, but the goggle de-icing on the lift after each run was a bit of a drag (thanks for the tip, Jim). Legs are shot tonight! Great day.

Grassi21

Even though I only got in 5 runs on the Belt, I have to say I really enjoyed my first day of the season and first visit to Hunter. It was great to meet Greg and Jim and get at least one ride with them on the lift. The spirited debate on global warming did make me feel a bit uncomfortable but I got over it. lol ;-)

I was a bit disappointed in only doing 5 runs. But a two week trip in Paris, a delayed flight last night, a 5 am wake-up call today, fighting off a head cold, and new boots all did me in today. My first run was looked like pure trash and getting pounded by the snow guns was no fun. But I felt pretty good on runs 3, 4, and 5. Unfortunately the boots knocked me out today. I still have a bit of pain in my right lower leg, just below my calf. I need to do some fine tuning with my set-up before my next outing.

I'm looking forward to getting back out to Hunter on the 15th.

2knees

so what do you think they'll have open for next friday. Yes, i know, its pure speculation.

good report as usual greg.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Even though I only got in 5 runs on the Belt, I have to say I really enjoyed my first day of the season and first visit to Hunter. It was great to meet Greg and Jim and get at least one ride with them on the lift. The spirited debate on global warming did make me feel a bit uncomfortable but I got over it. lol ;-)

I was a bit disappointed in only doing 5 runs. But a two week trip in Paris, a delayed flight last night, a 5 am wake-up call today, fighting off a head cold, and new boots all did me in today. My first run was looked like pure trash and getting pounded by the snow guns was no fun. But I felt pretty good on runs 3, 4, and 5. Unfortunately the boots knocked me out today. I still have a bit of pain in my right lower leg, just below my calf. I need to do some fine tuning with my set-up before my next outing.

I'm looking forward to getting back out to Hunter on the 15th.

Excuses, excuses :) You don't need no stinkin excuses, we're all working on getting our legs back ;) Sounds like you guys had a good day, good for you. Hope we have more open for next week.

Greg

Staff member
Video uploading...

Greg

Staff member
so what do you think they'll have open for next friday. Yes, i know, its pure speculation.

They were making snow on Minya, Lower Crossover and Ike. I think Jessica reported snowmaking on Way Out too. I would expect at least those. Hunter's snowmaking is no joke.

Okay, here's a short 2 minute video featuring JimG. and dmc:

Hunter Video - 12/8/2006

Enjoy!

BeanoNYC

Nice TR and Vid, Greg. Looks like Jim's not sporting the yellow TNF anymore. Sorry I didn't meet up with you guys. I had fun at MS anyhoo. ;)

Greg

Staff member
Nice TR and Vid, Greg. Looks like Jim's not sporting the yellow TNF anymore. Sorry I didn't meet up with you guys. I had fun at MS anyhoo. ;)

Funny you mention that. Jim said his yellow TNF is his "cold-weather jacket". :blink: It was pretty freakin' cold today so I'd hate to see the days when he wears it...

Grassi21

They were making snow on Minya, Lower Crossover and Ike. I think Jessica reported snowmaking on Way Out too. I would expect at least those. Hunter's snowmaking is no joke.

Okay, here's a short 2 minute video featuring JimG. and dmc:

Hunter Video - 12/8/2006

Enjoy!

Nice vid Greg! I should have grew some stones and spent some time with you guys on Hellgate. Next time...

Greg

Staff member
Nice vid Greg! I should have grew some stones and spent some time with you guys on Hellgate. Next time...
Nothing wrong with skiing within your limits, especially on your first day out. I just wish we had a chance to do a run on Belt with you, but like I said, plenty of opportunities...

bvibert

Staff member
Nice vid! :beer:

The snow looked much nicer than it was at Sundown today.

Nice music selection!

inhalexhale

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.huntermtn.com
We decided to wait on Way Out. I am hearing really mixed things about the snow today, there's so much sunlight, jeez. I took a ride up in the new piston bully, the surface looks amazing. I can't WAIT for Way Out...best trail at Hunter!

JimG.

Staff member
Well, my skiing didn't look anywhere near as bad as it felt on Friday. Just couldn't seem to get it together, skiied like a gaper most of the day.

Spent Saturday morning demoing skis. Felt great between 9-12:30. Ate lunch, went back out, hit a wall after 5 runs and quit at 3pm. The start to the season has been weird, so I decided to give myself a break and not worry about my poor technique for 2 days out of only 4 so far this year.

Got out with my 4 year old yesterday and he is now linking turns and stopping like a pro. Soon he will be ready to leave Hunter 1 and get out on the real hill. Inspired by his success, I skied between 2-4 pm and finally got myself together. No light, soft snow turning to frozen mash, plenty of irregular bump lines; the last 2 days of flailing were a memory and I was finally ripping some turns. That felt good!

Then I remembered that it's only day 5 and I usually have at least 10 days under my belt at this point. Yes, the start of this season has been weird!

Last edited:

Greg

Staff member
Well, my skiing didn't look anywhere near as bad as it felt on Friday. Just couldn't seem to get it together, skiied like a gaper most of the day.

Spent Saturday morning demoing skis. Felt great between 9-12:30. Ate lunch, went back out, hit a wall after 5 runs and quit at 3pm. The start to the season has been weird, so I decided to give myself a break and not worry about my poor technique for 2 days out of only 4 so far this year.

Got out with my 4 year old yesterday and he is now linking turns and stopping like a pro. Soon he will be ready to leave Hunter 1 and get out on the real hill. Inspired by his success, I skied between 2-4 pm and finally got myself together. No light, soft snow turning to frozen mash, plenty of irregular bump lines; the last 2 days of flailing were a memory and I was finally ripping some turns. That felt good!

Then I remembered that it's only day 5 and I usually have at leat 10 days under my belt at this point. Yes, the start of this season has been weird!

:roll: Jim - your skiing was fine Friday - your typical in control form. You may have felt off, but I didn't notice any obvious bobbles or anything like that. I felt great during those first 2-3 runs right after lunch. I was okay in the morning, but keeping up with Doug and Kevin on the boards was a challenge in that somewhat funky snow on Hellgate. I felt pretty good overall on Friday, but felt really off last night. Different surface for sure, but I just couldn't get smooth turn transitions last night.