• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter Mountain - March 24th

dmc

Sunny skies...
mid-30's........
Soft and silky with corn... High speed cruising.

Started at my usual crack of noon. Ran into some old school skier buddies.
No line at the 6Pack so we hit Cliff to Racers first thing. Great choice!
Cliff was wide open and fast and flat! Racers was sweet on the right side of the chute and the bottom face. TON of corn piled up on the edge. Was actually getting face shots!

After the front face we settled into the west side with a super high speed run down Way Out.. then onto my favorite - Clairs. Which was - surprise - fast and flat.. We did a few on Clairs - top to bottom... no stops...
then we went over to check out Lower K... Which was fun.. And interesting... Starting at the top and launching off the giant snow pile on skiers left(Ladies Tee).. And then pressing against the woods and the melt line for sweet corn in the bright sunshine... Lower Lower K was incredible.. High speed cruising - laying down trenches... elbow almost touching the ground... After a couple on K we moved back to the West side until it closed.. Then we just rode Cliff Racers a couple times and ended the day after the last chair by a super high speed run down Juega and Drop Off...

Classic late winter day!!

JimG.

Staff member
2 days of awesome conditions...big change from last March!

Looks like this week sets up well too.

dmc

Also i got to tell off a girl waiting for the 6Pack..

She was behind us - we we're JUST getting on the 6Pack and could hear her yelling at some guys for cutting her off in line..
The guys didn't look like they knew what she was talking about..

right as we move up to the 6pack load spot I hear her again... this time she's physically pushing someone out of the way of the 6pack gate...
They stop the lift.. the lifty is being nice - asking her to calm down. She starts in with the "I bought a ticket" - "I'm entitled to..."

I turn around and say "You selfish bitch... It's ALL about you... What about us? We are stuck standing here because you can't get along.. Your acting like a spoiled brat." She shut up... the guy in charge of the 6Pack walks up to her and just said "He's had enough and she's not allowed to ride his lift anymore"...

Before everyone jumps on this as a Hunter thing... I've never seen this happen at Hunter... I have seen it happen in other places...

JimmyP

I agree Hunter ain't your Daddy's Hunta, it's families , good skiers , still has some crazy boarders but almost to a man [or girl] they seem quite proficient, Lines are generally polite, in fact I've had worse situations at Vermont or Western places. Sorry this lady screwed your zen. Actually the worst incident I was ever involved in was at a headwall in Whiteface, great spring day, everyone lines up to get started and I hear a guy about 30 yards down yelling, he was yelling at me and claimed I cut off his little daughter, since I had only walked to the lip of the wall , I either didn't cut here off or it was totally inadvertent, I said hey I'm sorry, but he threw his pole at me, everyone else there started muttering at him and I felt sorry for the kid whom he should have never left, I picked up the pole and tossed it way over and it rolled a ways , but as good as that made me feel he wrecked my day.

dmc

It's just the way we roll at Hunter... :)
I put up with her crap until it stops the lift... then... in true Hunter style - your gonna hear about it... haha..

skiking4

Yeah it's not a Hunter thing, but attitudes like that usually are at Windham & Hunter rather than Belleayre or Platty.

I did encounter a similar accident at Plattekill, however. I was coming down to the triple from Lower Face at a very slow speed and was snaking through the crowd of people who were standing outside the queue of the lift and talking/getting ready. (FYI, this was one of the busiest days of the year at Platty, with probably a peak lift line of 10 mins for the triple). A foreign mom is trying to get the lift ticket on her daughter and slips forward as there is a slight decline. As I pass by at approximately 4 mph her tips of her skis go over the front of my skis and she tries to push me but evidently falls. She quickly grabbed her knee and clenched her jaw before screaming in a loud, soprano voice, "YOU F#@$ER!" A large crowd quickly turn there heads and her husband runs over and she's refering to me as "this F#@$er". I explain what happened to the husband and that I'm sorry (even though it wasn't my fault at all) and grab her pole to try to help out in any way possible, which she had dropped. But, the husband quickly hushes me away. People in the lift line and on the lift with me said that it wasn't my fault at all and those people usually stay at Hunter or Windham.

I (and the people around me) couldn't believe I got "You F#$@er'd" at Platty.

So point is, attitudes are everywhere.

BTW - nice TR! Good to hear hunter doing well.

dmc

Glad you got some goods DMC, sorry about the girl situation.

Didn't really bug me - couple minut delay.. Actaully needed the rest..... Just thought it was an interesting story..

TropicTundR

Yeah it's not a Hunter thing, but attitudes like that usually are at Windham & Hunter rather than Belleayre or Platty.

I did encounter a similar accident at Plattekill, however. I was coming down to the triple from Lower Face at a very slow speed and was snaking through the crowd of people who were standing outside the queue of the lift and talking/getting ready. (FYI, this was one of the busiest days of the year at Platty, with probably a peak lift line of 10 mins for the triple). A foreign mom is trying to get the lift ticket on her daughter and slips forward as there is a slight decline. As I pass by at approximately 4 mph her tips of her skis go over the front of my skis and she tries to push me but evidently falls. She quickly grabbed her knee and clenched her jaw before screaming in a loud, soprano voice, "YOU F#@$ER!" A large crowd quickly turn there heads and her husband runs over and she's refering to me as "this F#@$er". I explain what happened to the husband and that I'm sorry (even though it wasn't my fault at all) and grab her pole to try to help out in any way possible, which she had dropped. But, the husband quickly hushes me away. People in the lift line and on the lift with me said that it wasn't my fault at all and those people usually stay at Hunter or Windham.

I (and the people around me) couldn't believe I got "You F#$@er'd" at Platty.

So point is, attitudes are everywhere.

BTW - nice TR! Good to hear hunter doing well.

So in what accent were you called a F#@$ER? Thank God I spent my day at Plattekill. I literally was the only one on the trails on Saturday...well me and the guy with one ski and a 6-8in naked mole crossing the trail.

Getting back to Hunter conditions:

Attachments

• Hunter-20130324-01103.jpg
    Hunter-20130324-01103.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG-20130323-01096.jpg
    IMG-20130323-01096.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG-20130323-01083.jpg
    IMG-20130323-01083.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 71
  • Hunter-20130323-01074.jpg
    Hunter-20130323-01074.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG-20130323-01085.jpg
    IMG-20130323-01085.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 71

a few more

Attachments

• IMG-20130323-01062.jpg
    IMG-20130323-01062.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 70
  • Hunter-20130324-01102.jpg
    Hunter-20130324-01102.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 69

dmc

Great day!!! I do kinda miss bumps though...

180 - saw your tracks going out to 44... Bet it was worth it...

skiking4

So in what accent were you called a F#@$ER? Thank God I spent my day at Plattekill. I literally was the only one on the trails on Saturday...well me and the guy with one ski and a 6-8in naked mole crossing the trail.

Dunno, not tight on my accents :p

And my point was that attitudes are everywhere. But the fact remains that that percentile is so much higher at Hunter and Windham IMO.

dmc

Dunno, not tight on my accents :p

And my point was that attitudes are everywhere. But the fact remains that that percentile is so much higher at Hunter and Windham IMO.

Totally disagree.. Seen way more at other areas that are supposed to be chill...

dmc

The 2nd to last pic... where is that?

I know.. But my Hunter "attitude" prohibits me from saying publicly.. :)

I will say you probably ski right past it every time your at Hunter.

JimG.

Staff member
I know.. But my Hunter "attitude" prohibits me from saying publicly.. :)

I will say you probably ski right past it every time your at Hunter.

LOL...plenty of said "attitude" to go around. I find it amusing that people still think Hunter has a monopoly on it.

Been to a bunch of hills this season, Hunter is tame by comparison.

fluid164

Was at Hunter today. Sounds like the same conditions. Snowed lightly all morning into the early afternoon so there was some powder up top .

I'm not the diamond cruiser, so, I won't bore you folks with my exploits. It was the first time ever at Hunter. For the first timer, the signage on the slopes is not great. Saw a lot of novices on a blue (Broadway?) who shouldn't. It's not well marked when you get off B Lift. I also saw a bunch of kids take face plants getting off B Lift and going over the left ledge. Depth perception is almost zero there.

As far as attitude, I found all staff and operators to be quite respectful. The only transgression I saw was a small pack of 12-13 year olds cutting folks off.

I enjoyed it overall.