• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter Mtn=EPIC FAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JimG.

Staff member
I have always defended my home mountain here and elsewhere...not one bad comment about Hunter would pass without me defending the place.

But no more...Hunter will not even try to open for Thanksgiving. Jiminy Peak is open for God's sake! Yet Hunter will not even try to blow a flake of snow.

Weak...lame...EPIC FAIL.

They ask me for my money earlier and earlier each year and I faithfully pay. My reward? Later and later openings, less snowmaking and open trails, and earlier closings that betray their clear desire to close by the end of March.

Weak...lame...EPIC FAIL.

I hope Whiteface/Gore/Belleayre decide to offer a 3 for 1 pass...I'll be first in line to buy one.

x10003q

I read somewhere that there has been a temperature inversion at Hunter. Belleayre has postponed their planned Saturday opening. Windham has no snowmaking also. It seems to be the local weather. You need sustained 28degrees and low humidity which does not exist in the Catskills right now.

steamboat1

I read somewhere that there has been a temperature inversion at Hunter. Belleayre has postponed their planned Saturday opening. Windham has no snowmaking also. It seems to be the local weather. You need sustained 28degrees and low humidity which does not exist in the Catskills right now.
Exactly, I read on the Stowe snow blog today that they didn't fire up guns last night because while it was well below freezing in town temperatures on the mountain were well above freezing.

Not that I'm defending Hunter or anything. The place still sucks.

Last edited:

Bene288

Same inversion was going on at Jiminy according to a guy on the snow making crew that I was talking to. They said they were planning on blowing snow on the upper face trails, but it was warmer at the summit than it was at the base.

ScottySkis

I have always defended my home mountain here and elsewhere...not one bad comment about Hunter would pass without me defending the place.

But no more...Hunter will not even try to open for Thanksgiving. Jiminy Peak is open for God's sake! Yet Hunter will not even try to blow a flake of snow.

Weak...lame...EPIC FAIL.

They ask me for my money earlier and earlier each year and I faithfully pay. My reward? Later and later openings, less snowmaking and open trails, and earlier closings that betray their clear desire to close by the end of March.

Weak...lame...EPIC FAIL.

I hope Whiteface/Gore/Belleayre decide to offer a 3 for 1 pass...I'll be first in line to buy one.

You could always skip the pass and use liftopia and Potterbrothers both have great deals for all those Catskills and others from Pott. including Killington.

drjeff

Here's some mind boggling data that Mount Snow's head of Mountain Ops put up on their conditions up date yesterday morning about tge inversion on Sunday night. Just on their beginner hill, which to put it in perspective has only 20 chairs on the entire lift that serves it and is maybe 100 yards long and 75-80 vertical feet- it was 25 at the base of that lift and 28 at the summit of that lift!!! :eek:

CRAZY inversions going on the last few days!!! :mad:

Jim, go easy, the weather has sucked. Jiminy got lucky when they decided to blow 2 weeks ago.

Hawkshot99

Jim, go easy, the weather has sucked. Jiminy got lucky when they decided to blow 2 weeks ago.

But Jiminy has also been blowing at every possible chance they get. They have not gotten any juge windows, but they have been trying.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

skiadikt

actually was gonna start a thread asking what's happened to hunter this season. hunter was my home early 80's to late 80's and i remember them always open by t-giving, with the friday being a ski patrol benefit day. they closed in april (one year making it to may). agree with jim g, they seem to be getting more conservative with their snowmaking lately. surprised to see jiminy beat them to the punch. so much for them being snowmaking capital of the world.

dmc

I tend to agree but it's been cold at night...

I miss Izzy...

dmc

I do agree with the inversion thing..
I could actually see woodsmoke lingering around low while driving around the other night..

It's 31 and sunny in Hunter right now..

I tend to agree but it's been cold at night...

I miss Izzy...

I keep this page book marked, scroll all the way down the page. It is very long. It shows about 20 local weather stations, and the elevations. I have watched every night the inversions that have occurred.
http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=12442

No-one loves Hunter more than me. In a perfect world they could have blown the top of the mountain down to F and been open the same weekend as Jiminy. Then the warm weather came in with inversions and they could have got the bottom going. Having missed the opportunity 2 weeks ago, (as Mt Snow did, check their web blog), they never had a chance to get the top going. Seeing that Belleayre could not even get mid-station open shows the tough pattern we have been in.

4aprice

actually was gonna start a thread asking what's happened to hunter this season. hunter was my home early 80's to late 80's and i remember them always open by t-giving, with the friday being a ski patrol benefit day. they closed in april (one year making it to may). agree with jim g, they seem to be getting more conservative with their snowmaking lately. surprised to see jiminy beat them to the punch. so much for them being snowmaking capital of the world.

Not the business model it was in the 80's. I don't know if you can blame them, they're just not enough of us crazies to support it. Alot of things at Hunter have changed since the 80's. Along with the early opening and late closing, it was as good a party and singles area as Killington. I'm sure there are plenty of reasons why but I don't see that anymore. I will never forget some of the great times I had at the base lodge bar and other establishments around the town. Still a fan of the mountain itself, love the morning sun on the front face, K-27 and Westway are my all time favorite runs there. If they ever go back to the 80's model I'm sure I would still be one of the crazies up there (my son who never saw that would be there as well).

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

dmc

it was as good a party and singles area as Killington. I'm sure there are plenty of reasons why but I don't see that anymore. I will never forget some of the great times I had at the base lodge bar and other establishments around the town.

Everyone got old and had kids... the cycle is coming around.. 180's kids can take care of themselves now so he can come out and party!!!

The base lodge party still rages and new bars are opening...

Last edited:

millerm277

I'm not sure what weather you have been watching, but it really hasn't been cold. Hunter's standard operating procedure is usually to take the stretch of really cold weather, and blow the hell out of the mountain, not spend days/$ on trying to cover a mountain in marginal temps.

50F during the day and 25F at night with high humidity, is simply not going to cover the mountain. Looks like it's going to finally get cold sometime next week.