• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter Mtn Expansion Details

catskillman

Time to Make these Black Diamonds....

They should have been all along. Management just wanted to open them quick for the season and neglected to put up fences, temp fences etc. in the rush to get them open.

AND - there was not a soul that watched those trails get cut, worked on the trails etc etc etc...........that said any of them were not black trails.

I can't imagine what their insurance bill is going to be if they can even get coverage........Management issue.

I would put money on it that Russ has not skied these trails, as he is a low intermediate skier at best and never leaves his office. He is really hiding now.

I could go on and on......

legalskier

I can't imagine being the parent of a kid who kisses you goodbye to go have a fun day on the slopes and then get the phone call later that night. My heart goes out to his family. R.I.P.

Time to Make these Black Diamonds....

Agreed. My TR noted that pitch.

Better than "The Hunter 6 pack..get off it if you can"

I found that getting off was easy- it was getting on that was tricky, what with how fast the chair comes around for the 90' load.

catskillman

Guess i was..and all of us was right...fucking marketing deciding whats what

Exactly - how do they live with themselves and sleep at night. Although marketing did not label those trails blue, so I guess management must be getting counseling about this as they ignored the facts........

JimG.

Staff member
Changing the trail ratings will help but that is not going to stop this.

Those trails need some design remediation. Not big things but obviously causing problems.

kingslug

In the old days of racing ,drivers were killed at an alarming rate. They would go off into the woods..and die. Now they have barriers to prevent that...hmm..what an amazing idea. A gate to go in the woods that is either open..or closed and problem solved. A lot easier than re pitching anything.

drjeff

In the old days of racing ,drivers were killed at an alarming rate. They would go off into the woods..and die. Now they have barriers to prevent that...hmm..what an amazing idea. A gate to go in the woods that is either open..or closed and problem solved. A lot easier than re pitching anything.
The biggest issue with netting, and this is from the perspective of a racer parent who has spent countless days on fence lined trails and doing maintenance on fencing, is you have to keep moving it and adjusting it as base depths change, people (or even mountain ops equipment) hit it/get tangled in it, ice/wind storms do damage to it, etc, etc, etc. And if you've ever rolled or worked on a section of B-netting (the roughly 4 foot tall fencing with what looks like slalom gates it's mounted on) they're 50 ft long, and not an easy thing to move and reset, and the A-netting, the much taller (usually 15 feet or so) mounted to a fixed overhead pole and also anchored at the ground level, and because of cost is generally found only along certain sections of trails used for World Cup and various other high level speed event race trails.

The manpower logistics to wide use trail edge netting isn't insignificant by any means.

In the case of Hunter North, where I know some of the crew who was behind the layout and building and shaping of the trails, their intentions were to create some trails that they'd like to ski and ride themselves as well as the general public. It seems like in this case a multitude of factors from how a trail skis/rides to the general masses with feet of snow and many groomer passes, add in numerous skiers and riders of all abilities, variable weather and lighting conditions, etc, etc, etc and the potential for unfortunate events can happen.

I'm guessing that Peak/Hunter was already planning on making some grading changes to the new terrain at Hunter North after it's first season of snow and customer use and having seen first-hand how their design of the trails, snow retention, drainage, etc, etc, etc actually went vs how they thought/hoped it would. They're may be some extra reworking of certain trails or parts of this off season now

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

RichT

N Haledon, NJ/Jewett, NY/South Seaside Park, NJ
The biggest issue with netting, and this is from the perspective of a racer parent who has spent countless days on fence lined trails and doing maintenance on fencing, is you have to keep moving it and adjusting it as base depths change, people (or even mountain ops equipment) hit it/get tangled in it, ice/wind storms do damage to it, etc, etc, etc. And if you've ever rolled or worked on a section of B-netting (the roughly 4 foot tall fencing with what looks like slalom gates it's mounted on) they're 50 ft long, and not an easy thing to move and reset, and the A-netting, the much taller (usually 15 feet or so) mounted to a fixed overhead pole and also anchored at the ground level, and because of cost is generally found only along certain sections of trails used for World Cup and various other high level speed event race trails.

The manpower logistics to wide use trail edge netting isn't insignificant by any means.

In the case of Hunter North, where I know some of the crew who was behind the layout and building and shaping of the trails, their intentions were to create some trails that they'd like to ski and ride themselves as well as the general public. It seems like in this case a multitude of factors from how a trail skis/rides to the general masses with feet of snow and many groomer passes, add in numerous skiers and riders of all abilities, variable weather and lighting conditions, etc, etc, etc and the potential for unfortunate events can happen.

I'm guessing that Peak/Hunter was already planning on making some grading changes to the new terrain at Hunter North after it's first season of snow and customer use and having seen first-hand how their design of the trails, snow retention, drainage, etc, etc, etc actually went vs how they thought/hoped it would. They're may be some extra reworking of certain trails or parts of this off season now

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

First on the list would be to move the lift to where it should have been placed in the first place, next to the sixpack! Then redo Wayout, then WhiteCloud..................

kingslug

Its just tragic that 3 people have died there...i redesign things all the time in my business..usualy before people die..life safety is a big part of my job.
Theres a million things we could talk/ debate about this. Im sure they had no idea this would happen..but they arent conceding to certain facts. Yet.

raisingarizona

Its just tragic that 3 people have died there...i redesign things all the time in my business..usualy before people die..life safety is a big part of my job.
Theres a million things we could talk/ debate about this. Im sure they had no idea this would happen..but they arent conceding to certain facts. Yet.

What are these “facts”?

raisingarizona

Barriers along all ski trails? That would be such an eyesore and imo a total buzzkill. I like my ski experience to be a little bit more natural and akin to being in the great outdoors.

skimagic

Facts that have been learned about the trail..It pretty much sends you into the woods if you fall and slide fast enough.

That can happen with any trail with a pitch and a curve. I tried these trails out, I didn't think as a trail, they were dangerous . I agree the rating should be expert and the unload area is poorly situated .

kingslug

True..but I have found the level of skier going down this trail was less than stellar. When it first opened it was pretty icy and bumped up..I have never seen so many yard sales and people side slipping down. I called it right there. I don't see this at other places. The sheer amount of people going down was incredible. We all drop some serious lines at different places through the season, a few crashes here and there. I've been going to Hunter a long time, though not as much now, it was insane. Yet I will still go there.

JimG.

Staff member
Barriers along all ski trails? That would be such an eyesore and imo a total buzzkill. I like my ski experience to be a little bit more natural and akin to being in the great outdoors.

Clearly you have never skied at Hunter. There is nothing "natural" about it. Most of the trails have been blasted into the sides of the mountain which is very steep. The new area is the same although some of the trails flow a bit more down the fall line.

For someone used to the openness of the mountains out west you would literally feel boxed in at Hunter. Without fences you might consider it an eyesore.

da-bum

I do have to say with Peak, the fact that they don't make as much snow leaves a bit of cliff side fence sticking out, as opposed to pretty much invisible back in the old days, plus they groom it so that there is a little lip on the edge of the trail, so if you do slide toward the edge, it will stop you instead of you going over it.