• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter's Mt Status and Snow reports

kingslug

Ah..come on..im just happy places are open and they all recovered from the...event...
Beats staying home
Guess they are staging the run..at least they started blowing on it..happy about that..we all thought it was a goner this season..

catskillman

any one notice that very few ski instructors at Hunter were wearing a mask covering their nose yesterday? I would say about 85% at least ! These were seasonal group instructors - they were on the lift early and with groups of kids. Most of the instructors are kids themselves !

catskillman

Any talk of limited capacity is BS. Parking lots are packed. Even the north lot (where I am) is half full when I’ve never seen more than 30-40 cars there.so true - i left yesterday at noon - there was still 100 people in line to get tickets.. I understand they need to pay the bills but what about the law and Vail being so big on safety?

cdskier

Oy..well conditions are good so more people are showing up..
Bell and platt are an alternative but do not have anywhere near the terrain.

I'd take Platty (and even Bell) over Hunter in a heartbeat... Personally I always found Platty's (and even Bell's) terrain more interesting than Hunter's. Sure Hunter has some nice steeps...but I couldn't justify just that aspect to deal with the extra crowds. Platty and Bell also both tend to get more natural snow (especially Platty).

If I wasn't a condo owner at SB...I could easily see myself getting the NY Ski-3 pass to have Belleayre and Gore as my "main" mountains. Gore has some outstanding terrain. Then throw in a trip here and there to WF and that's a great combo.

ScottySkis

I got the ski 3 card for just that reason..cant ski hunter all the time this season.
U should check out patty with u grreat friend this year they definitely need the money
And they just did replaced the snow making pumps that was old

JimG.

Staff member
Oy..well conditions are good so more people are showing up..
Bell and platt are an alternative but do not have anywhere near the terrain.
Not true!

I skied Platty yesterday and it was legitimately 100% skiable. I skied every run on the double side and many on the triple side as well.
Missed out on the 8" powder day on Friday skiing at Gore (which was also very good).

raisingarizona

There’s a lot better fall line, tree skiing at Platty than Hunter if I remember correctly. Hunter is pretty covered in boulders isn’t it?

and those fences, ugh..... it’s not a very pretty place to ski at.

Plattekill is the perfect powder day ski hill. It’s pitch is just right and consistent. It’s simple and everything comes back to the same spot. The lift right from the bottom is the lift you want to lap. I love that.

it’s also just a bit farther and off most of the tri state folks radar. All of this, is what makes it awesome.

kendo

today's report says "Snowmaking continued last night on Hunter East, the Main Face, and Hunter West". Same as past few days.

Any snowmaking on Anna or only Clair's/Taylor? What's left to open Clair's? Think they've been working on it all week.

kendo

Zephyr was listed as opening at 9:30 today in the am report. FB commenter noted it didn't run all day. My guess is no lift ops available.

Job Fair at Hunter (and many other VR properties) last Tues and next Mon. 38 openings at Hunter including Lift ops.

Last edited:

kendo

someone else on FB posted 'Friday 10:30 am and not a gun firing anywhere' ... with a pic of a rough looking Clairs.

With this weather, there should be a pre-president's blizzard going 24/7. Guess that theory's not in the MBA playbook.

Last edited: