• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter's Mt Status and Snow reports

catskillman

so today was sold out for weeks. (Sunday) Last night passholders could not make a reservation, however, if you went to the mountain site you could buy a lift ticket !! That is not right since the passholder should have a lift ticket when they want it.

Hmmmmmmm

This morning, passholders could make a reservation and you could buy a lift ticket for today.

JimG.

Staff member
so today was sold out for weeks. (Sunday) Last night passholders could not make a reservation, however, if you went to the mountain site you could buy a lift ticket !! That is not right since the passholder should have a lift ticket when they want it.

Hmmmmmmm

This morning, passholders could make a reservation and you could buy a lift ticket for today.
Sounds like they're limiting passholder skiing by making reservations unavailable to passholders but allowing them to spend additional money to get a day pass.

So there really is no such thing as a "season passholder" at Epic resorts anymore.

catskillman

Maybe some people cancelled and slots opened up
this was simutasluly. And I inquired about the issue of a management employee and he told me there is a limited # for passholders, day sales and some are held for lessons and "others"
no other valil resorts are sold out if you check........

da-bum

I haven't been up to Hunter for a few weeks due to work related training and avoiding the Prez week crowd. I seem to have missed the most optimal time of the season. Looking to go very soon, but looking at the status of the mountain, the North and West are closed, along with the Flyer. I didn't think the wind was that strong, but apparently it is strong enough for them to shut it down. Thur/Fri seem to have the same wind condition, you think that would be a slow F-lift day?

Also, are the North and West closed for the season? I don't see any reason for the North to close so early, or even today, especially when the Flyer is shut down and it being the perfect place for people to escape to.

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

I haven't been up to Hunter for a few weeks due to work related training and avoiding the Prez week crowd. I seem to have missed the most optimal time of the season. Looking to go very soon, but looking at the status of the mountain, the North and West are closed, along with the Flyer. I didn't think the wind was that strong, but apparently it is strong enough for them to shut it down. Thur/Fri seem to have the same wind condition, you think that would be a slow F-lift day?

Also, are the North and West closed for the season? I don't see any reason for the North to close so early, or even today, especially when the Flyer is shut down and it being the perfect place for people to escape to.
North and enough of West to use the lift open today

da-bum

Comments out there say the trails are like boiler plate. Hope that is not the case in the next few days.

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

Guess we can see what their groomers can do with ice. Gonna give it a try Sat and maybe stick around for Sun. Not too many skiing weekends left. May see if I can get a 1 day turn around sharpening the edges locally.

kingslug

I was going to get my bindings swapped on to the new skis sat at The Pro in Hunter..not ski..then drive back up and ski sun...but...i'm friggin tired. Hitting Utah next week so maybe its time for a weekend break.

da-bum

Guess we can see what their groomers can do with ice. Gonna give it a try Sat and maybe stick around for Sun. Not too many skiing weekends left. May see if I can get a 1 day turn around sharpening the edges locally.
Was there on Thur. The main mountain was mostly ice covered by some frozen corduroy, which got softened up and scraped off later. Strangely, lower Racers, Eisenhower and Gun Hill felt like hard packed. Not sure if it is because when those trails were groomed at different times compared to the others.

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

Was there on Thur. The main mountain was mostly ice covered by some frozen corduroy, which got softened up and scraped off later. Strangely, lower Racers, Eisenhower and Gun Hill felt like hard packed. Not sure if it is because when those trails were groomed at different times compared to the others.
Thanks for the report. Got my edges done yesterday - $15 while I waited at Ski Barn - so I will be in as good shape as possible to give it a go. Sounds like it will be a good day to not turn a whole lot. Won't book my Sat Nt hotel til I see how it skis Sat.

Funky_Catskills

North is open, but it lost power yesterday, which is why it didn't open
I'm on the same circuit as North/West Hunter.We lost power from like 2AM until the next day around noon or so. It was pretty bad, the wind was gusting hard and the temps were below 0 wind chill.. I've live in my house for over 15 years and never had a frozen pipe until that day.. sucked...

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

Hunter skied fine the last 2 days. Sunday better than Saturday. Sat was 1-3" of loose surface over icy base, scraped down to base in places. Sun was a well adhering hard pack surface with 1/2" carve-able on top.

It's not Utah or even the fresh Eastern snow we had much of this season, but it was about at a typical Hunter level. Crowds weren't bad this weekend away from Flyer either. Beat my personal best getting in 24k vert yesterday.

da-bum

Going one last day tomorrow. I see the number of open trails count dwindle everyday. The main mountain is basically down to what it was like on opening day. I hope the condition on that one remaining run is at least decent, instead of a 10 ft wide path with rocks spewn all over the place.

catskillman

Going one last day tomorrow. I see the number of open trails count dwindle everyday. The main mountain is basically down to what it was like on opening day. I hope the condition on that one remaining run is at least decent, instead of a 10 ft wide path with rocks spewn all over the place.
It has actually been pretty good, no bumps left however.

Yesterday large unmasked crowd (40+ people) smoking pot on the Copper Tree Deck - including one of the groomers ! Totally stoned, which explains some of the missteps this season. Find it hard to believe that given COVID and everything that he would share a joint with others

Funky_Catskills

It has actually been pretty good, no bumps left however.

Yesterday large unmasked crowd (40+ people) smoking pot on the Copper Tree Deck - including one of the groomers ! Totally stoned, which explains some of the missteps this season. Find it hard to believe that given COVID and everything that he would share a joint with others
Snitch