• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter's newest stupid idea!

RichT

N Haledon, NJ/Jewett, NY/South Seaside Park, NJ
Skied Hunter today, and was immediately caught off guard by the "new" idea of forming the lines at the six! What in the hell????????!! They put this fence triangle thing in the middle don't give it enough width for six people and have ONE single line. What was wrong with the old way? Maybe they don't want to pay for someone to direct the lines anymore? It wasn't that crowded to day but the line was pretty long. Aggravating to say the least.

Sirbannedalot

Skied Hunter today, and was immediately caught off guard by the "new" idea of forming the lines at the six! What in the hell????????!! They put this fence triangle thing in the middle don't give it enough width for six people and have ONE single line. What was wrong with the old way? Maybe they don't want to pay for someone to direct the lines anymore? It wasn't that crowded to day but the line was pretty long. Aggravating to say the least.

The first question is what are you doing at Hunter on the tail end of a holiday week on a Saturday when the suns out?

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..

Its a Vail thing....

FBGM

This is a vail way of doing lift lines. Pretty standard at all their resorts. They don’t want to pay and can’t find anyway people to sort lines. So they let you, the skier, figure it out - with help from their maze design.

Will come to most main/busy lifts soon.

jimmywilson69

I've seen this type of lift line management just about everywhere I ski. I saw it used Killington this past weekend, so its not just a Vail thing.

Seems like a pretty petty thing to bitch about to be honest...

Oh Okemo uses staff at the busier lifts to make sure that chairs go up full

drjeff

I've seen this type of lift line management just about everywhere I ski. I saw it used Killington this past weekend, so its not just a Vail thing.

Seems like a pretty petty thing to bitch about to be honest...

Oh Okemo uses staff at the busier lifts to make sure that chairs go up full

I think that with the entitlement and attitudes of some folks riding the lifts today, you could have a staff member pairing people up say 3 or 4 groups directly before loading, and then still need another staff person right at the load point to keep some folks from doing the "last second hang back" to get their own chair.

Personally I like the "diamond" design for the queue, makes it more apparent to each group, the concept of alternating easier to visualize verses everyone standing in a parallel line and wondering which group goes next....

kingslug

The "front line" system works well..at least at Alta it does.
Everyone should go to Europe..at least once..to really see CHAOS...

jimmywilson69

I don't think front line works well unless there is someone directing it. Same with lines on both sides of the chair.

1dog

The "front line" system works well..at least at Alta it does.
Everyone should go to Europe..at least once..to really see CHAOS...

Wait, Chaos? Europe? Say it ain't so. So why do so many Americans want to be more like Euro's? More taxes, less freedom, sub-par health care, and worst of all, less manners?

We might be rednecks comparaded to sofisticated aristocrisy, but we seem to get along better - maybe because all the different ethnic groups came here to get away from some of that.

1st world problems but I single up with my 9 year old almost always now - he doesn't wanna wait. When with my ski buds, we just chat, take in the different people in line, and generally. . . .well, I'm getting old I guess because I hated any wait whatsoever when I skied 8-10 days a year - but the 80's were much longer lines where HSQ were just a dream of a few. . .

perspective I guess. Soon as I get to Chamonix I will be as bad-ass American as I can and wear an American flag and cut people off. if thats how we are protrayed, might as well fit the mold.

You guys are a great read when I need mid day entertainment - thx.

Live every day like its sudden death overtime . .

Scruffy

I think the "bitching" about the diamond design at Hunter is that it is not set up correctly. I was there the other day and it was a cluster F.
This is for the six pack. There were four lanes, each wide enough for six people, feeding into the diamond. The diamond was setup so it was not wide enough to accommodate six people abreast and it was near enough to the lift that you are basically "on deck" once you go through it. So, if you had six people in your group and were doing the right thing by grouping up in the lane before hand, once you got to the diamond your group was forcefully broken up. The diamond path was wide enough for about three on each side. There is no lift attendant directing people to the lift, only at the lift load point in case of a need to stop it. So, for example, three of your group goes through the diamond path ahead of the others, then since there is a perceived opening and no lift attendant, either one, two or, three singles jump in, or three from a group of six on the other side of the diamond.

One could say: "so what," one's group got broken up? It's a five minute ride up, you'll rejoin them at the top. That would be assuming rational people paying attention and acting like considerate adults. The cluster F. happens when three from a group of five or six get's through the diamond and then looks back so see what happened to the others and then waits, and then two singles jump in while they're waiting and the chair goes up with two only. If it's crowded, ideally you want six going up each chair. There other various forms of pandemonium ensuing, as you can imagine, with no "lift cop" and only the diamond and a sign "Alternate" to guide the unruly onto the lift. Make the path around the diamond wide enough for the number of seats on the lift, and it's probably a decent system.

I know, a first world problem.

RichT

N Haledon, NJ/Jewett, NY/South Seaside Park, NJ
I think that with the entitlement and attitudes of some folks riding the lifts today, you could have a staff member pairing people up say 3 or 4 groups directly before loading, and then still need another staff person right at the load point to keep some folks from doing the "last second hang back" to get their own chair.

Personally I like the "diamond" design for the queue, makes it more apparent to each group, the concept of alternating easier to visualize verses everyone standing in a parallel line and wondering which group goes next....

I guess it's not so much as the diamond as it is that the space isn't enough for six people!! Jeez Hunter it isn't rocket science!