• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

If 2015-2016 was the average Northeast winter, would you still live here?

Smellytele

I definitely agree that Mormons are quite friendly. The reason I asked, however, is because a non-Mormon I know who lived in SLC was very sensitive about this. Granted, this was many years ago. I think it had to do with being able to achieve certain positions (such as elected and/or appointed positions) as a non-Mormon.

I heard from various sources from people who have lived there that the schools are the issue. So without kids there really isn't that much of an issue. Dinosaurs didn't exist kind of thing.

fbrissette

For no good reason, a college town doesn't appeal to me. I like to live within striking distance of a college town, but not actually in one.

Fort Collins is a college town in my book. CSU used to be the largest employer. Nonetheless, those are all great places to live if you like skiing.

VTKilarney

Fort Collins is a college town in my book. CSU used to be the largest employer. Nonetheless, those are all great places to live if you like skiing.

Very good point. For some reason it didn't quite have the same feel of a college town to me compared to Boulder - but you are definitely correct.

But let's be honest, I wouldn't mind living in Boulder. It's Denver that I have a deep dislike of.

KustyTheKlown

I'm not trying to get into a religious debate, but how easy is it for a non-Mormon moving to Salt Lake City to fit in? It's the only reason why I would hesitate choosing Salt Lake City if I was inclined to move to ski country.

Denver has some phenomenal skiing a couple of hours away, but IMHO Denver itself is one of the most overrated cities in the United States. I like Colorado Springs and Fort Collins much better.

salt lake has an openly gay female mayor and a hopping little downtown bar scene. i was pleasantly surprised by the cultural feeling of the city when i visited this year. it's a little enclave of blue in a sea of red. anyone in SLC who isn't LDS is pretty much the exact type of outdoor enthusiast you'd get along with, and the mormons tend to be a very friendly and agreeable bunch in terms of day to day grocery store type interactions. a friend moved there, working in house counsel for a start up that does small refinance and debt consolidation lending. he said his office is about 50/50 LDS, but he doesnt feel that it will hinder advancing, as the bosses work out of an SF office