• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

It appears Stowe has joined the RFID game

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I like Jay's system. It will work for Stowe. It definitely eliminates theft of service issues... I have seen three groups get thrown out of line at Jay for not having the right ticket for the lift they are trying to use.

That said... I wondered in the Jay RFID thread what would happen as more areas rolled out RFID. You have that $5 "card fee" that you need to suffer. And now you need to pay Jay and Stowe $5 each for the privileged of buying a lift ticket. And as more areas come online with RFID, you'll pay more $5 charges and then you'll have a wallet full of different cards for different resorts.

The ski areas and RFID companies need to get this issue figured out ASAP or ski areas need to stop charging $5/card. You shouldn't have to pay for the privileged of buying a day pass. And you shouldn't need to keep track of dozens of different cards just because you ski more than one mountain. This type of crap isn't fair to the customer. We'll hear more about this as more areas opt for RFID systems, I am sure.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
I like Jay's system. It will work for Stowe. It definitely eliminates theft of service issues... I have seen three groups get thrown out of line at Jay for not having the right ticket for the lift they are trying to use.

That said... I wondered in the Jay RFID thread what would happen as more areas rolled out RFID. You have that $5 "card fee" that you need to suffer. And now you need to pay Jay and Stowe $5 each for the privileged of buying a lift ticket. And as more areas come online with RFID, you'll pay more $5 charges and then you'll have a wallet full of different cards for different resorts.

The ski areas and RFID companies need to get this issue figured out ASAP or ski areas need to stop charging $5/card. You shouldn't have to pay for the privileged of buying a day pass. And you shouldn't need to keep track of dozens of different cards just because you ski more than one mountain. This type of crap isn't fair to the customer. We'll hear more about this as more areas opt for RFID systems, I am sure.

While I agree with your premise, Riv, you do get something, which IMHO, is worth something for the 5 bucks. I am not sure about all of them, but with most of the ones I've seen, once you have the $5 card, you can reload online and then go straight to the lift, eliminating standing in line. That is cool in my book and worth something... perhaps a one time charge of about $5.

JPTracker

From Stows web site:
or they can return it to any ticket window at the end of their stay for a $5.00 refund.

You can get your 5 bucks back at the end of the day.

JPTracker

Was up at Jay this weekend and noticed that they moved the RFID gates back away from the lift. There is enough room now for at least half a dozen groups to que up after the gates so when someone ticket screws up chairs don't go up empty.

Smellytele

Not a big fan of them. Used it out at Squaw didn't have to pay extra for it. It is really for their benefit to stop theft. As Riv said who wants to have all these cards. Stowe is betting on most people not returning them at the end of the day. Also who wants to wait in another line at the end of a day when there is a cold beer waiting. If I could trade it in for a cold beer at the end of the day I might be more inclined to like it more.

4aprice

Not a big fan of them. Used it out at Squaw didn't have to pay extra for it. It is really for their benefit to stop theft. As Riv said who wants to have all these cards. Stowe is betting on most people not returning them at the end of the day. Also who wants to wait in another line at the end of a day when there is a cold beer waiting. If I could trade it in for a cold beer at the end of the day I might be more inclined to like it more.

What problems have people had with them? I've used them at several areas and never had any difficulty even in crowded conditions. I may have had to rock back and forth to get it to read but its never caused me to miss a chair. As far as returning them I know Solitude had a "mail box" type box for them to be dropped into, no breaking stride on the way to the bar. Blue lets you reload them via the internet. I don't see the downside.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

PS Just to clairify I have not paid attention to the $5 fee and guess I should be more careful. Blue urges the buyer to keep the card and reload it via internet. I'm not sure that's true for the Utah areas or other places I've used the system. I'll watch this year and agree with Riv that could start to be an issue as more areas get on board. I think the systems themselves work great

Last edited:

AdironRider

I have used them at Park City and liked them. No more looking for your pass or the liftie "trying" to scan it with a crappy scanner!

This is well worth the 5 bucks to me from the instances Ive used them. I hate playing the season pass game every time I ride a lift.

k123

This probably will never happen but there should just be one universal RFID card that you can reload for any resort that has RFID. Maybe you pay a one time $10 fee to get the card and then you can use it anywhere

Smellytele

What problems have people had with them? I've used them at several areas and never had any difficulty even in crowded conditions. I may have had to rock back and forth to get it to read but its never caused me to miss a chair. As far as returning them I know Solitude had a "mail box" type box for them to be dropped into, no breaking stride on the way to the bar. Blue lets you reload them via the internet. I don't see the downside.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

At Squaw the line would be held up when someone's card wouldn't work which was like 1 out of 10. There were multiple gates and you would get separated from your group you were going to run on the lift with. Drop box wouldn't get you your five bucks back. The down side is if you have to pay $5 extra at each different place you go to. Not a fan of the hand held scanner either but then I am not paying for their security system out right. Although I am paying for it I just don't see it.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
This probably will never happen but there should just be one universal RFID card that you can reload for any resort that has RFID. Maybe you pay a one time $10 fee to get the card and then you can use it anywhere
This would indeed be ideal. The devil is in the details regarding credit card information, different point of sale systems, and networking it all together. Definitely could be done but I doubt the RFID folks nor the resorts using the system are going to advocate for a universal card. It definitely is not in the resort's best interest and it would increase costs and labor for both parties.

k123

This would indeed be ideal. The devil is in the details regarding credit card information, different point of sale systems, and networking it all together. Definitely could be done but I doubt the RFID folks nor the resorts using the system are going to advocate for a universal card. It definitely is not in the resort's best interest and it would increase costs and labor for both parties.

I would be willing to pay a higher price since it would be much more convenient, but I can see why resorts wouldn't be willing to do it

skidmarks

I like them. I hate the Stratton Grab!!! That's when the ticket guy yanks my jacket so he can scan the ticket every run. By the end of the day I want to punch him.

abc

I would be willing to pay a higher price since it would be much more convenient, but I can see why resorts wouldn't be willing to do it
Because the rest of us won't pay the extra. 8)

I don't mine paying it up front, as long as I get them back at a point I choose to. So for those who visit the same mountain many times, it's a non-issue. They either get their $5 back at the end of the season, or just cut their lost. But for those of us who roam around, a non-refundable $5/mountain is too steep. I for one will only go to mountains without that charge, which fortunately are all but one (Jay). I'll go to Burke instead.

As for Jay's inability to even make the RFID work properly. That's just a sham.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Was up at Jay this weekend and noticed that they moved the RFID gates back away from the lift. There is enough room now for at least half a dozen groups to que up after the gates so when someone ticket screws up chairs don't go up empty.

This is good news. The card screwed up on me a couple of times when I was there in May. I could see with the old set up that chairs could go up empty on a busy day.

4aprice

The less information about me on the world wide web that can be hacked the better.

I could see why this could be an issue. My feelings about EZ Pass are much the same. Here in NJ they have an EZ Pass reader on one highway I know of that IS NOT a toll road. Privacy is gettng harder.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ