• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

It's Boyne in a landslide victory!

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Killington - the only ski area in the east where their pass holders brag about how crowded the mountain is.
That's neither fair nor true. But certainly crowd size and willingness of guests to stand in lines is a powerful measure of popularity. Truth be known, 95% of the skiing I do at Killington is before Dec. 15 and after Apr. 1. My problem with Killington (and many of the Southern VT areas) is rudeness of the guests. Never been to another area when someone ran over the tails of my skis and screamed at me for being in his way (and it hasn't been a one-time occurrence)!

deadheadskier

Staff member
Actually it is true. I've seen plenty of conversations here and on other skiing forums with K regulars wondering what the mountain needs to do to return to the glory days of 1 million skier visits a season. That's a primary argument for the Interconnect by some.

All different types of people ski there. I'm sure most want nothing to do with more crowds, but there are plenty of people who do want the place to attract a million skiers a season and they are vocal about it.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Actually it is true. I've seen plenty of conversations here and on other skiing forums with K regulars wondering what the mountain needs to do to return to the glory days of 1 million skier visits a season. That's a primary argument for the Interconnect by some.

All different types of people ski there. I'm sure most want nothing to do with more crowds, but there are plenty of people who do want the place to attract a million skiers a season and they are vocal about it.

Lots of good points: I've got to think that for Killington to comfortably accommodate a million skier visits (that's averaging 5000 people per day assuming a 200 day season), they need more lift capacity and the obvious spot to begin is the South Ridge.

Many people forget that Sunrise was abandoned in part for the opportunity to expand towards Pico rather than towards Parker's Gore.

So a part of Killington's problem in growing skier visits is predicated on a need for more terrain and more lift capacity.

Now you say there are many people who do want the place to attract a million skiers a season. My guess is that most of those are business owners in the greater Killington area, real estate developers and stock holders. I can't imagine that the average skier cares how many skier visits an area receives.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Lots of good points: I've got to think that for Killington to comfortably accommodate a million skier visits (that's averaging 5000 people per day assuming a 200 day season), they need more lift capacity and the obvious spot to begin is the South Ridge.

Many people forget that Sunrise was abandoned in part for the opportunity to expand towards Pico rather than towards Parker's Gore.

So a part of Killington's problem in growing skier visits is predicated on a need for more terrain and more lift capacity.

Now you say there are many people who do want the place to attract a million skiers a season. My guess is that most of those are business owners in the greater Killington area, real estate developers and stock holders. I can't imagine that the average skier cares how many skier visits an area receives.

What's really telling: they hit 1 mill skier days BEFORE they took over Pico IIRC. And as you said they had more lifts and terrain.

Now that POWDR lost PCMR it will be interesting to see what they do at K if anything.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Never going to see a million skier visits again unless they drop their prices back down to ASC levels & you know Powdr isn't doing that.
Don't think so. Killington isn't priced in the Stowe/Stratton stratosphere - and Killington offers lots of discounts. I have an Express Card and I'm already down to $30 per visit. For the entirety of the early season, 2-fers are there for the asking. etc.

steamboat1

Don't think so. Killington isn't priced in the Stowe/Stratton stratosphere - and Killington offers lots of discounts. I have an Express Card and I'm already down to $30 per visit. For the entirety of the early season, 2-fers are there for the asking. etc.
Most areas offer similar products, even Stowe.

bigbob

Haul rope was replaced on the Superstar chair, still needs the load test before that trail pod can open. May explain why they are blowing on Ramshead before Skye Peak area. Also opens more novice terrain .

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
By Pass Card. Same rate as online purchases. Admitedly not as steep a discount as other areas but still a discount.

My point exactly! The ByPass is definitely "not as steep a discount". In other words, I'll pay just about double at Stowe as I would at Killington! $89 with discount on a weekday. That's more than Killington's full-price ticket!

bigbob

Loon has the most acres open now with 57 compared to 51 at Killington and Sunday River.

steamboat1

My point exactly! The ByPass is definitely "not as steep a discount". In other words, I'll pay just about double at Stowe as I would at Killington! $89 with discount on a weekday. That's more than Killington's full-price ticket!
Your just talking Stowe now. You asked what discount they have & I provided you with an answer. As I said most other areas have a similar discount card to the one K has. Now if you want to brag about how cheaply you can ski K I don't think you can beat my deal. Got my weeday pass down to under $14 a day last season & hope to do the same with it this year.

I can ski Stowe 17 days this year for a little over $40 per (15 ski club days @ $44 per & 2 Vt. passes for a little less than that). Not saying I'm going to do it but I can.

Last edited:

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Your just talking Stowe now. You asked what discount they have & I provided you with an answer. As I said most other areas have a similar discount card to the one K has. Now if you want to brag about how cheaply you can ski K I don't think you can beat my deal. Got my weeday pass down to under $14 a day last season & hope to do the same with it this year.

I can ski Stowe 17 days this year for a little over $40 per (15 ski club days @ $44 per & 2 Vt. passes for a little less than that). Not saying I'm going to do it but I can.

I don't get it, Steamboat1. You complained that Killington charges too much. Then you suggested that there were comparable deals at Stratton and Stowe. Stowe's discount brings the price of their ticket down to a full price weekend ticket at Killington. Then you suggest Stratton's X-2 card, which costs more than a Killington Express pass and gives only a 35% discount on non-peak weekdays. These are hardly comparable examples. Could you fill us in again on why you think Killington is priced too high.

BTW, I did 132 days last season for $415.50 (including the price of my Killington Express Pass). It probably would have been 30% more, but I am a senior.