• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Its not all about steep..

kingslug

I know we are all facinated by steep runs but I'm finding that lower angle ones can be more interesting. A lot of the super steep stuff is exhilarating but I've found that you spend almost all you're concentration getting down the damn thing and ..well miss the experience. Its hard to explain but some of the best runs I've ever done where in the 30 degree range through trees and fields where you can take in whats around you and not just worry about the next turn. I remember some runs at Vail and Alta where you where just buried in the mountain, over here Whiteface had some good ones buried in the trees...opinions?

Hawkshot99

My favorite glades are ones not crazy steep. I like when I can carry my speed for a long flowing run rather than worrying about scrubbing speed and being careful.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

wtcobb

My favorite glades are ones not crazy steep. I like when I can carry my speed for a long flowing run rather than worrying about scrubbing speed and being careful.

Agreed. Beaver Pond glades at Jay or the newer glade at Sunday River off Jordan Bowl come to mind.

Cheese

I'll agree that you don't have to ski steeps to have an epic day but there is a certain draw and an incredible feeling of accomplishment when you've skied do or die terrain. The Headwaters at Moonlight Basin is a good example. Every single one of those runs cliffs out so you have to either be in control enough to huck the cliff or just as in control to traverse along the cliff to bail to safety. A slide anywhere in this area would not end well.

i.ashx.jpg

bdfreetuna

Steep Trails > Low Angle Trails

Low Angle Woods = Steep Trails

Steep Woods > Low Angle Woods

overall fun factor, for me. I enjoy the challenge of getting down terrain which appears fairly objectively difficult to get down on skis.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
Really, variety is the spice of life. Ideally, I'd be able to alternate between the two. My favorite days on skis, I've never skied the same trail twice.

MadMadWorld

I know we are all facinated by steep runs but I'm finding that lower angle ones can be more interesting. A lot of the super steep stuff is exhilarating but I've found that you spend almost all you're concentration getting down the damn thing and ..well miss the experience. Its hard to explain but some of the best runs I've ever done where in the 30 degree range through trees and fields where you can take in whats around you and not just worry about the next turn. I remember some runs at Vail and Alta where you where just buried in the mountain, over here Whiteface had some good ones buried in the trees...opinions?

Well in the east you won't find much that's consistently over 30 degrees for long periods of time anyways.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

Yup - I was thinking the same thing earlier - I love just flowing on some lower angle glades, sometimes even more wide open, deep glades can be the most fun. 2 years ago at the AZ summit I think I mentioned how much I enjoyed the "runout" towards the bottom of Brackett Basin.

Cornhead

!

New thread idea; longest consistently steep trail in the East?
It'd be tough to beat Skyward at Whiteface, steep and long, well, steep at the very top for sure. Very often survival skiing for the first wind blown hundred yards or so, can yield to fantastic snow below that.

MadMadWorld

More than likely it's a liftline. So try to think of of a top to bottom lift of a big mountain.

DJ's Tramline at Cannon is one that comes to mind off the top of my head.

I would have to agree. It would most likely be a lift line....Tramline at Cannon, Lift Line at Smuggs, Lift Line at Stowe, etc. Skyward also have to be up there since it was the trail they did most of the 1980 Olympic events on I believe.

soposkier

!

New thread idea; longest consistently steep trail in the East?

Not a techincal trail as it is wide and groomed, but Gondi Line at Sugarloaf from the top is fun to rip the entire way down, just have to be careful at the x-cut.

BeefyBoy50

For me Superstar, Outer Limits, and Ovation at Killington come to mind- all are pretty direct and consistent in their steepness. I haven't skiied the other areas listed, although I did ski Stowe and Whiteface when I was younger (but can't remember it), so I'll just list those first three that I thought of.