• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

It's SNOWING!!!

Greg

Staff member
Okay, it's not real snow, but you can still ski on it:

link outdated

Greg

Staff member
Okay, I'm just as excited as anybody about the upcoming ski season, but these folks are jumping the gun a bit:

link outdated

Note pics 8 through 11 from 10/8.

Max

Not so strange Greg! I remember back about 1969 we had a particular cold snap and Killington decided to make snow. Now this was back when the snowmaking equipment wasn't at the level of sophistication that it is today. They put down about 6" in the Snowshed Area (which was brand new at the time), and my (ex) brother in law and I went up for the day. It was the 23rd of September!! I think the next year I skied at Killington on the 30th of May, but I'm sure that record has been broken by now. And one year in the 60's a couple of my buddies and I decided to ski in Tuckerman Ravine on the 4th of July. There was a patch of snow, maybe 50 feet wide x 500 feet long. We drove to the summit, walked down to Tucks and took 2 runs. Man, we were stupid in those days!!!!

It's been a long time since I've been downhill skiing, my last pair of skis were Dynamic VR-17's (Jean-CLaude Killy used them to win 3 golds in the Olympics back in the 60's). Shortly after all that I gave up downhill skiing for good. I had gotten pissed off when the weekend lift ticket prices started hitting $10 per day! Geez, I can remember skiing Waterville Valley when it first opened, midweek, for $5, such a bargain!

Max