• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jackson Hole about to experience life without the unwashed masses

deadheadskier

Staff member
You have it the wrong way around. If Wyoming was left to their own devices you'd have at least a 4 lane highway and housing as far as the eye can see. They didn't even want Grant Teton National Park in the first place.

It is the only state where another national park can't be created. https://cowboystatedaily.com/2023/0...onal-monuments-in-wyoming-without-permission/

National Park history aside, WYDOT wanted to put 4 lanes in between Jackson and Teton Village and the county said fuck off and put in a multi-million dollar bike lane instead.

That's interesting. You would think they would have the political will and means to change the situation. Too much federal interference?

crystalmountainskier

Jackson is f'd as literally every J Hole instructor I have met commutes in from the Idaho side. I'm sure it's the same deal for the summer workers. Not good timing for the community with peak summer season starting... literally now.
Perhaps we should talk about how there are far too many instructors than the community can house…over 700. Eclipsed in population only by real estate agents!

2planks2coasts

I'm not so sure it's all about being a red state. I've read many articles about all of our favorite place, Vail, struggling to get higher density housing approved by locals. Colorado is quite blue these days.

Rich people Nimbyism is one of few politically shared ideals!

Hell I might live in the bluest town in NH and while no longer all that affordable, it's hardly rich. People lose their damn minds every time an apartment building is even proposed. Many didn't even want the mills redeveloped into housing even though they sat rotting for 20-30 years.

This. Nimbyism knows no party. I'm as blue as they come, living in a fairly red part of NH. There is such a massive shortage of affordable housing here, while all that is being built are $800K+ monstrosities. A 10 minute drive down any local road lets you view dozens of dilapidated homes slowly being reclaimed by nature.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I'd be surprised if there is not at least a temporary repair done in the next few weeks. As said, it is too important of a road.

urungus

He was referring to living space, not land. 63k square feet of house. They've got an acre and a half worth of house on 16.5 acres of land.
That “acre and a half” worth of house is likely multiple stories, so it’s not covering an acre and a half of land. But still a ridiculously large amount of living space.

2Planker

Similar happened on 113 in Madison NH last year.
Feds said 6 months to repair.
NH took over and completed it in 4-5 weeks

djd66

WYDOT says they will have a short detour built and paved within weeks. Not months or years.
I was thinking they could get a temp repair done fairly quick.

Not going to lie, my ass would be puckering driving on that road after seeing what can just all of a sudden "happen"

thetrailboss

Staff member
Now this meme is kind of funny :LOL:,....

Now you need to figure out a way to link this to Rob Katz;)
Yeah....I can't really. :ROFLMAO:

I would be interested to know if Vail has ever made offers for Grand Targhee or Jackson Hole. I've heard that GT has no interest in Alterra and IKON.

AdironRider

Their temp plan is to build a bypass right next to, and on top of the same failing ground. Another two foot crack has opened up as of yesterday. So that’s fun.

Nevermind this failure is on the first major incline on a 45 mph curve. Detour will cause all traffic to slow to 20mph or so, then have to try and get back up to speed. Let me tell you from experience, unless you have a big motor that isn’t happening. Even if they get this detour built, it’s a 15-20 mph slog the rest of the way as Subarus aren’t getting that momentum back.

I just don’t see this ending well. Bud with an STR has lost 70 percent of his summer bookings in the last two days. Ouch.