• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jackson Hole about to experience life without the unwashed masses

AdironRider

In the case of my buddy, I think these billionaires want someone living there for security purposes in addition to the maintenance aspect of the gig. That's why they don't contract with a PM company.

He wasn't even looking for this job. He was recently out of school and cooking at restaurant. He was at the bar after work bitching about his restaurant gig and this billionaire just happened to be sitting next to him and said, "I've got a job available."

That was 19 years ago. He gets bored of it and keeps threatening to leave to do something more interesting. But the billionaire keeps making better offers to keep him. He essentially gets $100k + benefits and a free house with all expenses covered. Hard to beat that with a "real job" in Central NH.

Damn he’s getting 100k on top of the housing. That’s a good gig.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Yup

Started at $50k with housing 19 years ago. Every couple of years he discusses his desire to leave for Maine where his gf lives and try something different and the guy bumps it up because he trusts my buddy and doesn't want to find someone new.

Edd

Sounds like an amazing semi-retirement gig. I’d do that in a heartbeat.

thetrailboss

Staff member

Former Sunday Rivah Rat

Whoa! Burying the lead I see! Congrats!
Thank you, selling 2 houses and buying one in another state is something we could only do in the ski off season.
One big factor is property taxes. Utah has a 45% property tax exemption on primary residences.
I was also shocked at how much warmer it feels in the winter in Utah with the lower humidity. We were talking with one guy on the chairlift and he said he skied in NH once and he was never so cold in his entire life.

Tonyr

That is a good gig. My wife is friendly with someone who lives in the guest house of a large property in Vail and her comp for taking care of the property is a free place to stay in the guesthouse. She has a full time job otherwise.

deadheadskier

Staff member
That is a good gig. My wife is friendly with someone who lives in the guest house of a large property in Vail and her comp for taking care of the property is a free place to stay in the guesthouse. She has a full time job otherwise.

This particular property is ten acres lake side, 4 bedroom main house, two three bedroom houses, 2 stand alone studio cottages, a game house, extensive gardens, two bay boathouse and his caretakers house. He takes care of all of the cleaning and contracts all the maintenance and landscaping. Keeps the boats, jet skis and cars maintained as well. It's basically like a small summer camp for kids more so than just a lake house.

He's still paid quite handsomely, but the property is a lot to manage.

Tonyr

This particular property is ten acres lake side, 4 bedroom main house, two three bedroom houses, 2 stand alone studio cottages, a game house, extensive gardens, two bay boathouse and his caretakers house. He takes care of all of the cleaning and contracts all the maintenance and landscaping. Keeps the boats, jet skis and cars maintained as well. It's basically like a small summer camp for kids more so than just a lake house.

He's still paid quite handsomely, but the property is a lot to manage.
Yes that sounds like a lot of work.

2Planker

My mechanic did similar years ago.....

He got a "guest cottage" at the founder of Yankee Candle's place in the Berkshires and a good salary....
The owner had a 50+ car collection when he started and grew it to almost 100 cars.
His job was to maintain and drive the cars,

BenedictGomez

I was also shocked at how much warmer it feels in the winter in Utah with the lower humidity.
Yeah, and that also works in the summer.

For instance, I had to go to SLC yesterday for work & though my thermometer said 101 degrees, I'd say it felt like 90 eastern degrees. The "dry heat" just doesn't hit you like the humid eastern heat.

kbroderick

Yeah, and that also works in the summer.

For instance, I had to go to SLC yesterday for work & though my thermometer said 101 degrees, I'd say it felt like 90 eastern degrees. The "dry heat" just doesn't hit you like the humid eastern heat.
It also makes it much easier to cool off, as water will evaporate readily. Dump a bucket of cool water over your head in 100 degree dry heat with a little breeze, and you'll be cooler and reasonably dry in 15 minutes. Do the same thing around here and you'll just be dripping wet as well as hot.

drjeff

It also makes it much easier to cool off, as water will evaporate readily. Dump a bucket of cool water over your head in 100 degree dry heat with a little breeze, and you'll be cooler and reasonably dry in 15 minutes. Do the same thing around here and you'll just be dripping wet as well as hot.
That same principle also makes it easier to get dehydrated quickly. I can remember a bunch of years ago I was playing golf on the Big Island in Hawaii where the course was routed in/around some of the dormant black lava flows. Even right by the Pacific, it was bone dry and about 105 degrees on the course. The course attendants on signage kept encouraging you to drink water throughout your round. I probably filled my cup up 10 to 12 times over that 4 hour round, never remember sweating in the heat with a breeze, also never had to pee either :eek:

That dry heat can cause a bunch of health issues rapidly for sure!!

machski

That same principle also makes it easier to get dehydrated quickly. I can remember a bunch of years ago I was playing golf on the Big Island in Hawaii where the course was routed in/around some of the dormant black lava flows. Even right by the Pacific, it was bone dry and about 105 degrees on the course. The course attendants on signage kept encouraging you to drink water throughout your round. I probably filled my cup up 10 to 12 times over that 4 hour round, never remember sweating in the heat with a breeze, also never had to pee either :eek:

That dry heat can cause a bunch of health issues rapidly for sure!!
Yes, the Kona side is basically a desert. Go inland and uphill, it's like playing Golf in early fall in New England. Go all the way over to Hilo to play, and it's like playing in the rain forest. Big Island is quite unique with all the differing climates it offers.

2planks2coasts

Yes, the Kona side is basically a desert. Go inland and uphill, it's like playing Golf in early fall in New England. Go all the way over to Hilo to play, and it's like playing in the rain forest. Big Island is quite unique with all the differing climates it offers.

There's even truck served skiing on Mauna Kea periodically.PXL_20221227_234642823.jpg