• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jackson Hole about to experience life without the unwashed masses

snoseek

People I don't feel sympathy for are STR owners and Billionaires. I do feel for the workforce though. Those Vanlife hippies could make some pretty good money this year with a little hustle

Smellytele

If coming from back east you do not have to go over the pass. Even when I drove up to Jackson from slc i didn’t ( I did on the way back to slc. The issue is going from Idaho to Jackson and visa versa.

Last edited:

Former Sunday Rivah Rat

Maybe the state needs to step in and do something like Mass has with the MBTA Communities Act.
I lived in MA my whole life and I want all the countless hours wasted waiting for the T back, which is we call it. It sucks, trust me, definitely not something to shoot for. They made a song about it years ago:

My wife and I are so happy to be moving to Northern UT near Snowbasin.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I lived in MA my whole life and I want all the countless hours wasted waiting for the T back, which is we call it. It sucks, trust me, definitely not something to shoot for. They made a song about it years ago:

My wife and I are so happy to be moving to Northern UT near Snowbasin.
Truth.

BenedictGomez

I spend most of my free time on Winnipesaukee in the summer. I can't stand some of the monstrous homes that have been built on the lake; the largest of which is 40k square feet with a 23k square foot guest house.

Does anyone even live there anymore? It's my experience the last 10 or 15 years that all the nice, rich, areas of this country have been turned into vacation homes & short-term rentals (think: AirBnb), sitting vacant literally most of the year. A true shame that the nicest places literally arent generally been enjoyed by actual human beings. I can tell you that over 70% (yes, I know this sounds impossible, but it's true) of Park City's housing stock is vacant.

BenedictGomez

You have it the wrong way around........

National Park history aside, WYDOT wanted to put 4 lanes in between Jackson and Teton Village and the county said fuck off and put in a multi-million dollar bike lane instead.

Wow, I had no idea that area was so liberal given it's in Wyoming. Just looked it up and it voted (D) in 5 straight presidential elections and is now up to a whopping ~70%.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Does anyone even live there anymore? It's my experience the last 10 or 15 years that all the nice, rich, areas of this country have been turned into vacation homes & short-term rentals (think: AirBnb), sitting vacant literally most of the year. A true shame that the nicest places literally arent generally been enjoyed by actual human beings. I can tell you that over 70% (yes, I know this sounds impossible, but it's true) of Park City's housing stock is vacant.

My general guestimate around the lake is if a property is worth $5M% or less it's either used frequently by the owner or also a STR property. Over $5M and it's probably used a few weeks a summer or less.

There are many compounds in the latter group by some pretty famous names; Marriotts, Romney's being the two most well known.

For almost 20 years a good friend has been a caretaker for a billionaire family that got their start in the Coal industry in PA. I believe they have diversified. He doesn't have to do much of the work. Contracts it all. Just lives in a nice guest house on the property and is available to pick them up in their private jet when they come to the lake, stocks the fridges and occasionally has to man the grill at cookouts. Now that this family's kids are grown, the place gets used about 20 days a year. But there had been a few years no one came even once. They were spending their time on their $100M yacht and didn't really care about their $10M cottage on the lake.

Last edited:

2Planker

In the early 90's our friend lived in a 3 bdrm "caretakers cottage" in Narragansett RI.
Owners were from NJ and part of the Johnson family from Johnson & Johnson.

They would use the ocean front home w/ private beach 2-3 weeks a year.
Otherwise, she had the place to herself 11+ months/year.

4aprice

Wow, I had no idea that area was so liberal given it's in Wyoming. Just looked it up and it voted (D) in 5 straight presidential elections and is now up to a whopping ~70%.
My BIL bought a place in Wyoming (close to Utah boarder) to establish residency because he has a NJ State Pension and they won't tax it. But it also sounds a little like our place in Colorado. Granby itself is most likely red but the congressional district spreads over the divide and includes Boulder which is heavy blue.

AdironRider

The caretaker gig was the holy grail of ski bumming back when I first moved to Jackson. Now companies do that so they don't have to think about some dirt bag skier sullying their pristine guest house when they aren't around.

A few gigs still exist but the properties have gotten so large and complex it is basically a full time job keeping the place maintained.

jimk

I've only been over there a few times, but I find it kind of disturbing to ski among the ghost town of empty mansions in the Jordanelle section of Deer Valley. Maybe it's more lively during Christmas Week?

deadheadskier

Staff member
The caretaker gig was the holy grail of ski bumming back when I first moved to Jackson. Now companies do that so they don't have to think about some dirt bag skier sullying their pristine guest house when they aren't around.

A few gigs still exist but the properties have gotten so large and complex it is basically a full time job keeping the place maintained.

In the case of my buddy, I think these billionaires want someone living there for security purposes in addition to the maintenance aspect of the gig. That's why they don't contract with a PM company.

He wasn't even looking for this job. He was recently out of school and cooking at restaurant. He was at the bar after work bitching about his restaurant gig and this billionaire just happened to be sitting next to him and said, "I've got a job available."

That was 19 years ago. He gets bored of it and keeps threatening to leave to do something more interesting. But the billionaire keeps making better offers to keep him. He essentially gets $100k + benefits and a free house with all expenses covered. Hard to beat that with a "real job" in Central NH.

BodeMiller1

This should make my summer road trip out to Jackson slightly more interesting........
In all seriousness, if you want / need a mansion (which I clearly do). you need to build it to your specks on virgin land. I was talking to the great one, Humpty Dumpty and he was like "make sure you do not build a house with 7 gables and not on ancient Indian burial grounds". As usual the great one was right.

BodeMiller1

I've only been over there a few times, but I find it kind of DISturbing to ski among the ghost town of empty mansions in the Jordanelle section of Deer Valley. Maybe it's more lively during Christmas Week?
Pretty sure they only celebrate FETIVUS out there these days. 🤫