• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jackson Hole Trip?

Birdman829

OK, so the UVM Ski and Snowboard Club had its first general meeting tonight and we got some free swag and all that jazz. They are offering a trip to Jackson Hole for 5 days skiing and 7 nights (a 6th day is optional if i wanna buy a ticket) for 918 balloons. I'm thinking of doing it. What do you guys think? I'm only a freshman so I could always wait until next year when I know more people.

Oh, and here's a vid from last year's trip I stumbled across.

GET YOUR STOKE ON

http://www.uvm.edu/~dwatkins/jhole06.htm

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
if you got the balloons, go for it. a trip like that will most likely be very memorable, but it will be even more memorable as a college trip with your college buds. you only get four years (if you are lucky... or perhaps unlikely?) to go for it.

Briskies

I will be going on that trip. I am a UVM student abroad in New Zealand right now but i will be going 5 of my freinds went on it last year and had the best time of ther lives, and there are 7 of us going this year. Its a good deal and a great week. I am good friends with Matt Cole and Dave Beahm 2 of the officers.

sledhaulingmedic

I'd go for it. "If you wait until next year, you'll be another year older when you do it".

SkiDog

GO...IN all seriousness.....that is a SUPBERB DEAL.......an chance I can "pretend" I am a student too? I need that rate...and yeah..i'd buy the 6th day....you can rest when you get home...

JH is the TOPS on my list of best places to ski...its big...and its all basically right in front of you...no need to go looking for steeps....JH is the place to be.

M

koreshot

a) Those guys in the video are really good. It sure looks like those guys got very lucky with the snow too.

b) Jackson is awesome, so you should go

One warning is that Jackson is very dependent on frequent snowfall. Most of the mountain is very exposed to sunlight which will bake the snow pretty quicky, even if it is cold. The hobacks get the worst deal because of the warm temps down by the base. I spent 10 days there last February and the first 2 days were awesome, then it dried out and started going downhill real quick. The last 5 days were crap. I was taking a steeps class and even the instructor that has been a local there for 20 years could find us any soft snow turns inbounds for us.

So I say, go for it, and pray for a lot of snow!

dmc

I'm headed out there in March..... Been a few times... Love the joint...

nhski

I'll reiterate what Koreshot said, if JH gets snow, it's hands down the best. If not, you'll be wishing you were somewhere else.

This is why i don't think booking a trip to JH months out is a good idea. LCC on the other hand, you're almost guaranteed to get the goods.

Just my .02 cents

castlerock

What these knuckleheads said...

If I have to put up my money for a non-refundable trip now.......It won't be for JH. Too risky.

dmc

If I have to put up my money for a non-refundable trip now.......It won't be for JH. Too risky.

What about if you have a condo to stay for free? And access to cheap tickets..? And free airfare?

nhski

What about if you have a condo to stay for free? And access to cheap tickets..? And free airfare?

I would definitely go then, but all things being equal, LCC would be my choice for a trip booked months in advance.

castlerock

Then you aren't putting up your money. It is a good deal!

My point was I'm not going to put $2K on the line for a trip now. Come March 1st and the NWS shows three storms backed up off the Pacific. I'm in for Jackson. Besides if it doesn't snow there you can always go to the snowy side and ski Targhee.

Stay away from Snowbird! All of you!

Dan and Doug, the days are getting shorter!

dmc

Then you aren't putting up your money. It is a good deal!

My point was I'm not going to put $2K on the line for a trip now. Come March 1st and the NWS shows three storms backed up off the Pacific. I'm in for Jackson. Besides if it doesn't snow there you can always go to the snowy side and ski Targhee.

Stay away from Snowbird! All of you!

Dan and Doug, the days are getting shorter!

If it wasnt such a killer deal - I wouldnt book JH this early... I DO absolutely love the place though...

Besides the cheap price makes it easy for me to slip out to Utah at some point..

koreshot

Birdman,

If you can find a way to get the deal you are getting and NOT pay for the 5 days of JH skiing upfront, you will be better off. This way you can chose between Targhee and JH based on snow conditions. If the snow is fresh you can have the best skiing of your life in JH. If the snow is crap, you can head on over to Targhee where fresh snow can be found in the woods. There is a Targhee shuttle that will pick you up at your hotel, drive you to the resort, hand you a lift ticket, and drive you back home when you are done - all for a little less than the JH lift ticket alone. Compared to JH (or most ski resorts in north american for that matter) Targhee has very reliable snow conditions. It has better exposure, much less skier traffic and gets a crapload of snow. The only downside is that its not as vast or as challenging.

nhski

Birdman,

If you can find a way to get the deal you are getting and NOT pay for the 5 days of JH skiing upfront, you will be better off. This way you can chose between Targhee and JH based on snow conditions. If the snow is fresh you can have the best skiing of your life in JH. If the snow is crap, you can head on over to Targhee where fresh snow can be found in the woods. There is a Targhee shuttle that will pick you up at your hotel, drive you to the resort, hand you a lift ticket, and drive you back home when you are done - all for a little less than the JH lift ticket alone. Compared to JH (or most ski resorts in north american for that matter) Targhee has very reliable snow conditions. It has better exposure, much less skier traffic and gets a crapload of snow. The only downside is that its not as vast or as challenging.

Targhee definitely has more reliable snow conditions, but its pretty mellow over there. Best bet there is to hike up past mary's nipple to Peaked Mt. and come down the north facing side. It has a sweet cliff band you can huck and the snow stays great on the north facing side.

dmc

It has a sweet cliff band you can huck and the snow stays great on the north facing side.

Indeed... And the general lack of "expert" skiers keeps these kinds of lines fresh...
Targhee is cool for a day...

Going to hit Teton pass for sure this time..

jimme

My trip to JH last season almost cost me my marrige. I left part of my soul there.

We were booked by Nov for the first week in Feb, and just my luck (not usually) JH got 5', (count it IIIII) of snow the week before. One powder day, then just fantastic Blubird days for the rest of the week.

If you have to ask . . . then DON'T go!