• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

January 6th Inland Runner

Models have been trending significantly colder:-D

GFS now has the entire Green Mountain Spine in some sort of wintery precip. At this time yesterday, the R/S line was predicted to be around Buffalo.

If this trend continues, we could have a major winter storm, whether it be ice or snow, for the majority of New England. Stay tuned...

BenedictGomez

Models have been trending significantly colder:-D

GFS now has the entire Green Mountain Spine in some sort of wintery precip. At this time yesterday, the R/S line was predicted to be around Buffalo.

Yeah, per GFS even the Catskills look like they would be all snow for entire event (tight at start though) now. And IIRC these models do not "anticipate" prior snowfall right? (i.e. I don't think the models digest the snowfall that will be on the ground leading to radiative cooling) Anyone know that?

EDIT: Just ran the 00z Euro though, and it's still about Buffalo at 120 hours, but drops massively at 144, oddly west to east rather than north to south. Another big arctic dig. It would be colder in the Florida panhandle than it will be in Portsmouth, NH for a few hours if that verified. lol

Last edited:
Yeah, per GFS even the Catskills look like they would be all snow for entire event (tight at start though) now. And IIRC these models do not "anticipate" prior snowfall right? (i.e. I don't think the models digest the snowfall that will be on the ground leading to radiative cooling) Anyone know that?

Yeah, I don't think so. The 32 degree line they put out is determined by atmospheric conditions and doesn't include other factors, such as snowpack. (I think)

Last edited:

Tin

I'm less concerned about snow and more concerned about the wind.on the back side. Making the trip to Jay for Tuesday and Wednesday and.don't want wind.holds or temps of -30.

catsup948

This is an interesting storm. Could start as rain Sunday afternoon then back to snow overnight then rain Monday am and rapidly back to snow in the afternoon. Then it all freezes solid with Monday night lows in the single digits! I am hoping this ends up like last week's slop bomb and the ski resorts get something out of it!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

dmw

Any new thoughts on this one? I'll be at Stowe and I've seen both snow and non-snow forecasted. First time there, fingers crossed.

I really don't know what to make of this storm. I'm thinking some ice at the onset, then a cold rain (upper 30's low 40's) for most ski areas during the duration, and an inch or 2 of snow once the cold front passes through.

Disappointing, but not going to kill us. Only SE MA and CONN are going to torch into the low 50's. If anything, it's going to settle the pow into the base which is always good for late season.