• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Backcountry Ski Buddy

GladeRunner82

Hi - I will be spending most of the season up at Jay Peak (weekends, and some weeks when I can work remote). I plan on doing dawn patrol laps at the resort most mornings, but looking for someone to explore Big Jay, Little Jay, Gilpin, etc (and any other places I don't even know about) with. Would love to get connected with other backcountry skiers in that area. Thanks!

MidnightJester

Well I will be trying to come up to the Jay peak area a few times at least this season. Would be nice to connect up at least once. Since you ride backcountry do you also like riding trees/Glades and Unmarked trails?

GladeRunner82

Well I will be trying to come up to the Jay peak area a few times at least this season. Would be nice to connect up at least once. Since you ride backcountry do you also like riding trees/Glades and Unmarked trails?
Of course! Its why I'm making Jay Peak my base next season. Send me a DM with your info, glad to connect sometime next season

Hawk

You might find luck here, but think of it from the perspective of someone who is an experienced backcountry skier. Pairing up with someone you met on the internet and not knowing their ability, strengths, experience, etc., It might be hard to reach out to you. You would be better off skiing during the day, going to the bar and other places and making friends. That way they know who you are and can make the choice to show you what they have learned from thier experiences.

I know that people are now very inclusive expecially this younger generation. But for something like backsounty skiing I think that it is a little harded than that. Maybe it should be. I don't know. It's not for me to say.

Anyway good luck.

crank

Yes to above post, but sometimes one travels to a place like Jay alone and I believe it is much better when venturing beyond the boundaries to ski with at least 1 other person. It would suck though it that person were floundering and really holding things up.

Hawk

Or worse. They get injured and you have to get them extracted. Or they get knocked out and you don't know who to contact.
I bet GladeRunner is fine and has skills but you really never know.

GladeRunner82

You might find luck here, but think of it from the perspective of someone who is an experienced backcountry skier. Pairing up with someone you met on the internet and not knowing their ability, strengths, experience, etc., It might be hard to reach out to you. You would be better off skiing during the day, going to the bar and other places and making friends. That way they know who you are and can make the choice to show you what they have learned from thier experiences.

I know that people are now very inclusive expecially this younger generation. But for something like backsounty skiing I think that it is a little harded than that. Maybe it should be. I don't know. It's not for me to say.

Anyway good luck.
Thanks Hawk (and Crank) - totally agree with what you write, but figured it doesn't hurt to try to connect with folks on here, at the very least to share intel on conditions, if not to ski together. I'm also hoping I'll just meet other uphill travelers skinning up the resort. Also happy to connect with people to ski the resort with at least initially.

ThatGuy

In my opinion theres so much info out there to find backcountry routes easily now. 10+ years ago you had to know someone and be shown around to find most of this stuff. Just look at Stowe on a powder day how quick lines that used to be lowkey get tracked out. This is why its good to show people around on the ground because an internet trip report or seeing the route on FatMap will never compare to hands on experience and people are going to go there anyway. Not many secret stashes anymore and its better to show someone the ropes than them go on their own and get injured badly.

crank

I was at Jay alone one day with a fresh foot + and I signed up for their "Powder Clinic" because I wanted to ski out of bounds trees and such, but not alone.

Ended up skiing with 3 instructors and 1 other "student" taker who was also there alone. We headed straight out of bounds off the Jet and fresh tracked there all morning. The other guy and I stayed together that afternoon as well and I showed him all the inbounds stuff on the rest of the hill What a great day that was!

Anyway, my only point is I was afraid to ski what I wanted to ski alone and found a way to ski it not alone.

GladeRunner82

Nice! will check it out - the only out of bounds I've done off the jet was (accidentally) staying too far skiier's right on Timbuktu. Was a nice hike back to the base along 242. I assume you were somewhere else?

KustyTheKlown

Nice! will check it out - the only out of bounds I've done off the jet was (accidentally) staying too far skiier's right on Timbuktu. Was a nice hike back to the base along 242. I assume you were somewhere else?

if not past timbuktu, then he was probably in the dip which is over the backside of the jet before you get as far as the entrances to timbuktu

ThatGuy

The Dip is a good introduction to sidecountry. Low-angle, well spaced and either dumps you out at the resort or road so you don’t have too much to worry about. Also lots of people there nowadays so help is near.

crank

There's tons out there between Timbukto and the dip. You can ski right up to the top edge of the dip and still traverse back to the Jet.

First time I skied the Dip I scoped it out beforehand on google maps satellite view.
'

Hawk

Skiing alone in the woods is foolish. It is done but I wouldn't do it. I have been hurt in the woods.
Jay side country like the dip is not back country. Skiing off Big Jay is a whole different deal. Lots of differnet ways to go and if it is not tracked you could be in for a long slog out. Find a friend for that.

There are back country organizations out there that have meetings. Rasta and Granite Back Country Alliance to name two locally. That is where you will meet like minded people to get you off into the back country.

Not every place is tracked out. Some of the best places are maintained by locals that are smart enough to keep the people in the know small and no tech allowed. I have been priveliged to explore with some locals that learned to trust me. They do so because they know I am trust worthy and that only comes with personal interaction. You cant get that on the internet or with an app. ;-)

I have steady partners most of the time, but have had good luck hooking up with people. Definitely gets a bit more conversation going. Never had a bad experience. So long as general fitness, skiing ability and winter savvy roughly line up works well. Only had one partner go bad and that’s after we had spent some time together. i think asking in places like this works fine. Try to share at least part of the ride to both start getting to know the other person and to cut down on parking lot crowding