• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay or Smuggs?

Bene288

Never been to either, I have bogo tickets for both. Jay is a little bit further from Albany, but not by much. We like to ski glades, not sure what will be available as far as woods go. What are the decent hotels in both areas? We're thinking of driving up Friday and leaving Sunday.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

canobie#1

Jay.
Smuggs is nice skiing but jay is a better mountain. Plus jay ain't dumpy. The one problem is that jay is a little pricey, but it's worth it

Tin

Tough question...

Smuggs has great marked and unmarked trees and I also like the marked trails (narrow, the fall lines, obstacles/hazards, ungroomed, and they will open with super thin cover). It also has a great vibe. The only issue with Smuggs I have is the lifts limit your number of runs but they do keep traffic super low.

Jay has plenty of marked areas. I always heard that for every 4/5 areas thinned and maintained at Jay only one is on the map, after my last trip I think that could be true lol. However Jay is a drive and is more expensive to stay. The biggest issue I see with Jay is the weather and wind holds, you can't plan too far out, and the trail report isn't exactly accurate as I've learned the hard way a few times.

When it comes to skiing glades and tree skiing at new areas just ski slow and look for the tracks going into the woods. Sometimes you hit the jackpot, other times you eject and hike out.

BenedictGomez

Never been to either, I have bogo tickets for both. Jay is a little bit further from Albany, but not by much.

You live in Albany and you've never been to either Jay Peak or Smuggler's Notch?

You sir, do NOT deserve to live so close to quality ski mountains ! [/angry-faced mini-rant]

Savemeasammy

They are both reporting 13 inches over the last 2 days. Jay is reporting a number of glades open... I will be up at Smuggs with C-Rex Thursday - Sunday, and would be happy to give you an opinion of conditions. If you choose to go to Smuggs we could all make a few turns together.

dlague

I have been to both! While Smuggs does have really nice trails and glades but I like the options at Jay better! The lifts at Smuggs are enough to drive me crazy with fairly long lift lines. As mentioned earlier wind holds at Jay can be an issue. Skiing off the tram, jet triple or Flyer gives plenty of options. The food at Smuggs was more expensive. If you can stay Stateside then the hotel is not as expensive.

dlague

Okay, so now for my serious answer.

Better glades = Jay Peak

Better trails = Smuggler's Notch

I agree!

Better lifts = Jay

More up to date = Jay

A little further 45 minutes = Jay

Great water park, arcade, ice rink, bars = Jay

But everything does not stay open very long. So you need in room beverages!

Bene288

We'll make a decision a little close to the weekend. What's a good hotel to stay at near Jay? I don't need to stay at the water park, could care less actually. Just looking for a comfy bed, nothing spectacular.

I've heard of the crappy lifts at Smuggs, but it's not an issue for me. Just looking for quality terrain.

canobie#1

^ ha!
The stateside is a new hotel right at the base of the Bonnie at jay. It was built to be less expensive and just standard. I heard the prices for it were good too.

Tin

Smuggs has the cheaper lodging. For what you pay at Stateside you're much better off looking at a B&B in Montgomery or elsewhere. Only a 10 minute drive. Probably not the cheapest but we stayed at The Black Lantern Inn, amazing food and each room had a boot/glove dryer.

Savemeasammy

It sounds like Smuggs has been offering some really cheap ski and stay deals. Maybe you could call the reservations center to see what they have to offer...?

tnt

Who are you going with? Friends? Family?

Not sure it matters in my mind - I'd go to Jay I think.

They were running sick specials on the new Stateside hotel BTW. Midweek only I think. Not sure what the shuttle situation is over to Tram side for bars/food/waterpark, but might be worth it.

Steve@jpr

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Hit me up direct at swright@jaypeakresort.com. I'll make you an offer you can't refuse.

Never been to either, I have bogo tickets for both. Jay is a little bit further from Albany, but not by much. We like to ski glades, not sure what will be available as far as woods go. What are the decent hotels in both areas? We're thinking of driving up Friday and leaving Sunday.

Thanks in advance!