• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak 4/10/12

thetrailboss

Staff member
I don't think much has changed since you've been gone, just your perceptions. :spin:

For a few seasons SB was pushing the envelope on its season....trying to be the last to close and skiing into May. In 2010, IIRC, we had a similar meltdown and Sugarbush closed up about the same time, ending that streak. Coincidentally, they were getting ready to build Phase II of LP. This season they are working on Phase III.

I will admit that this season was simply bizarre though and the March meltdown was simply something that could not be overcome. But the Sugarbush I knew was really aggressive and would have at least closed midweek to try to reopen. They probably have tighter overhead now and it was a business decision that had to be made since they are doing other things besides just ski operations.

steamboat1

I've said this in another thread but I feel if they blasted Steins with a deeper base it could last much longer than anywhere else (even Superstar). It has excellent exposure that keeps it shaded in the afternoon. To bad Snowball has a lousy exposure as Spring Fling holds snow very well also but you just can't get to it after Snowball melts out. If you look at their web cam you can see that both Steins & Spring Fling still have plenty of snow on them

deadheadskier

Staff member
well, with Steins, you could just ski it off the Valley House Double and avoid the top traverse, but coffee run melting out would still be a concern.

lou12572

just to clarify my earlier post re: mount ellen i was driving by along rte 17 and from what could be seen from that location it looked ok. i was not implying that it was anything but ok from the vantage point i was at.