• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

JAY PEAK(sat),STOWE(sun) Advice.. Heading to both this weekend. RUN and TREE addvice?

MidnightJester

HI,

Heading to both this weekend to enjoy some of the great snow they still have. How to run both the mountains would be great. What to avoid if you have been there recently that is even better.?? What are the best trails and gladed runs to hit?? I am a all kinda tree/glade and trail guy my friend is a black level trail never been in the trees. What would be the best first(easiest glade or tree run from my friend?? I will run whatever else I can find or you throw my way. Gonna have to separate at times for friend sending him down the trail while I hit the glade near him to same lift "a separate buddy system" He will know if I dont show up on liftline or call that something is up. How to best run mountains from lifts to get best runs in faster then can settle which we all like the best. Sat(Jay Peak) Sun(Stowe) looks like sunday will be more sunny. sat could be rain and drizzle and snow for sunday maybe. wooooooo for that possiblily
Thanks in advance.

dmw

The Jay website trail map is your friend. It has pop ups that describe the glades, difficulty etc. I've found them to be fairly useful when I first explored them by myself.

MidnightJester

The others were different. One was asking how the mountains handled rain and freezing precip. This one is asking about the best runs and glades. More specifically ones I could take a never been into trees/glades before snow enthusiast. Expanding his mountain exposure with a little forewarning will make it easier on him and me. Otherwise at times I just get to chat with fuzzy cute people like you : )

MidnightJester

Thanks about the pop ups. Pretty neat and gives you some helpful info. Apparently they have a beginner glade area but it isn't listed on map as name they claim. Will find out regardless.

WWF-VT

Don't think for a minute that you are going to either place with mid winter packed powder conditions. Both have snow reports with machine groomed/loose granular / spring conditions. Good luck if you want to a bring a "never been into trees/glades before snow enthusiast" with you off the groomers.

Savemeasammy

Fwiw, I was at Magic yesterday - and the weather was warmer than what you will find this weekend - and the snow that was in the shade was pretty crispy. The snow in the woods was ok - as long as it wasn't shaded by coniferous trees. It was a bit on the heavy side, so unless your buddy has a solid command of his turns (he can turn on a dime, at will), he may want to think twice...

Hopefully this weekend turns out better than forecasted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steamboat1

I'm pretty sure Sun. will be the last day for the Mansfield gondola at Stowe so enjoy it while it's still open. I hope to be there sometime later in the week.

Cornhead

Almost pulled the trigger at 3AM to head to Stowe. The forecast for Saturday made me nervous, decided not to go. After seeing their pics on Facebook, I'm sorry I didn't. Looks like I missed a glorious Spring morning on Mansfield.
uploadfromtaptalk1396627785270.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1396627801048.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1396627831318.jpg

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

MidnightJester

The way I look at it Sat is gonna be a real iffy day. Going to ride it out and go reguarless and see hoe JAY treats us with the weather. Sunday though is looking nice for STOWE if it is sunny and dosent freeze badly on Saturday night. Time will tell. As to my friend I will take it easy on the groomers for few then mid day I will try a easier tree run test it for him and go from there. It will be a learning experience for next season atleast for weather and some JAY exposure for next season.

Kleetus

Heading to Smuggs tomorrow and Stowe on Sunday. Was on the fence about going but now have to go as I got put on a business trip that will take me away from skiing for the next two weekends after this :thumbdown:. Hopefully there is still some snow when I get back but at least I get to enjoy this weekend.

MidnightJester

Wishing you well on your trip. Here is to the big part of the moisture system pushing past it early and some late night snow for sunday. Good riding

MadMadWorld

Actually Jay has some of the best intermediate glades out there. Let him start with a glade like Half Moon on the lower mountain. Lots of stuff off the lower lifts!