• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jiminy Peak 11/25/12

JimG.

Staff member
I swear I haven't been to Jiminy in 30 years and could not remember it at all. I was told it skis like Belleayre and both the setup and skiing fits that bill, just smaller. They basically had a low intermediate (West Way) and a high intermediate (North Glade) run open. Couple of variants in there too and another midstation way down. Everybody was sking West Way so we stayed on North Glade and it was decent, a typical mix of manmade snow, ice, death cookies on the right and a little boilerplate near the bottom. We enjoyed it for 4 hours.

The high speed 6 pack made for quick laps. They were making snow all over the hill and I just saw they will now close midweek and concentrate on snowmaking. Not a bad drive from my house, comparable to Hunter.

Terrain looked Belleayre like but even less steep at the top with not as much runout at the bottom. The RFID system worked pretty well and did not annoy me like I thought it would. In fact, I hope K installs those RFID stalls like Jiminy instead of paying lifties to fumble with those hand held scanners and slow everything down.

The skiing was good for this time of year IMO. I expected less and have skied less and worse in the Catskills.

Definitely NOT into the wind turbine vibe at all. Now I can understand why folks don't want to live near them. The one near the mountain creeped me out, I think because of it's sheer size.

I would go back and ski again on a fully open and maybe fresh snow type of day, but I don't think I could make it my every weekend hill. But it was fun today.

Hawkshot99

I skied today there from 9-10. The conditions were night and day compared to yesterday. Sat was very firm and scary from the rain Fri night, and then the temps dropping in the day.
They will be closed all week to make alot of snow. When I left the mtn at 5 all the lights were on and the guns were going full blast.
Jim I skied with you a few times in the past at Hunter. If you are ever back at Jiminy stop in the ski shop and say hello.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

ScottySkis

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

Glad you got out, I think after the cold.temperates this week that your home hill will have lots open next weekend.

Hawkshot99

Glad you got out, I think after the cold.temperates this week that your home hill will have lots open next weekend.

So far I have skied every day they have been open, for 7 days skiing so far! At this rate I am on track for alot of days!
With no skiers on the hill and cold temps they will make tons of snow for next weekend. Hopefully we will go to full 7 day operations next sat.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

JimG.

Staff member
Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, next sat-sun will be good for sure.

bdfreetuna

I have never been to Belleayre, but Jiminy Peak does have a couple fairly steep trails. One being the top section of Jericho and the others being the very tops of the lift lines.

However when Jericho is groomed and the snow is decent it's skiable in GS turns from top to bottom, so it wouldn't consider it *that* steep. But when the conditions are not as good or they actually let moguls happen(rarely on that one, and rare at Jiminy Peak in general) it can be a challenging run.

I have never been a fan of Jiminy's weird trail rating system, with "high / low intermediates" on top of diamonds and double diamonds essentially creating a total of six different difficultly ratings for trails. It just seems silly to me on a smaller mountain. Do people really need to know if they consider something to be a regular blue square of a blue square inside of a black diamond? I think not. But anyway..

The only place in Mass with steeper terrain is Berkshire East which is a kickass mountain but I have a feeling they are waiting for natural snow to even bother to open this year. Berkshire East will have moguls on the lift line, Umass, Grizzly, Jug, Upper Flying Cloud, Middie Dole, not to mention their glades like Beast and East Glade which are all more difficult than anything Jiminy Peak has to offer.

In other words I can not recommend Berkshire East enough on a good snow day when they are fully open.

Bene288

I have never been to Belleayre, but Jiminy Peak does have a couple fairly steep trails. One being the top section of Jericho and the others being the very tops of the lift lines.

However when Jericho is groomed and the snow is decent it's skiable in GS turns from top to bottom, so it wouldn't consider it *that* steep. But when the conditions are not as good or they actually let moguls happen(rarely on that one, and rare at Jiminy Peak in general) it can be a challenging run.

I have never been a fan of Jiminy's weird trail rating system, with "high / low intermediates" on top of diamonds and double diamonds essentially creating a total of six different difficultly ratings for trails. It just seems silly to me on a smaller mountain. Do people really need to know if they consider something to be a regular blue square of a blue square inside of a black diamond? I think not. But anyway..

The only place in Mass with steeper terrain is Berkshire East which is a kickass mountain but I have a feeling they are waiting for natural snow to even bother to open this year. Berkshire East will have moguls on the lift line, Umass, Grizzly, Jug, Upper Flying Cloud, Middie Dole, not to mention their glades like Beast and East Glade which are all more difficult than anything Jiminy Peak has to offer.

In other words I can not recommend Berkshire East enough on a good snow day when they are fully open.

Yeah Jiminy's trail rating is whack. Like the trail all the way to skiers left, Ace of Spades. It's a black diamond but has no business to hold that rating. I could understand a diamond rating if it were covered in bumps, but Jiminy grooms most bump runs down.