• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Johnny Carson’s Ski Lesson

highpeaksdrifter

Ahhhhh…. the memories. Great article on page 42 of this month’s Ski Magazine. In 1964, a pretty young instructor from Hunter gave Carson a ski lesson on his show. I was 10 years old at the time, but my parents let me stay up to watch it cause it was a huge deal for everyone at Hunter. Kitty, the instructor, always had a big fan base cause she was hot in those stretch pants, but after Carson she had rock star status.

The same picture in the magazine use to hang in Hunter’s Hall of Fame. Anyone know if it’s still there?

campgottagopee

Ahhhhh…. the memories. Great article on page 42 of this month’s Ski Magazine. In 1964, a pretty young instructor from Hunter gave Carson a ski lesson on his show. I was 10 years old at the time, but my parents let me stay up to watch it cause it was a huge deal for everyone at Hunter. Kitty, the instructor, always had a big fan base cause she was hot in those stretch pants, but after Carson she had rock star status.

The same picture in the magazine use to hang in Hunter’s Hall of Fame. Anyone know if it’s still there?

Daaaaamn ;-)

dmc

From the Sleeping Giant book

IMG_07961.JPG

dmc

I've seen the pic in the book (Sleepng Giant), but I don't remember it being up on the "Hall of Fame" do you DMC?

It's not part of the hall of fame... maybe in the museum...

But I don't spend a whole lot of non bar time in the lodge...

catskills

I remember it well. At the time Hunter only had that old wood red barn lodge below the current lodge. I remember the skis were on the old lodge wall that Carson punched a chip into with the ski pole to simulate how to stop. Them were the days.

Hunter did a lot for the ski industry back then and still does. I talked to a few folks out west that started skiing at Hunter in the 60s and 70s. School ski trips were a lot more common in years past. Hunter use to get over 90 buses on a Saturday. I don't think this happens anymore.